U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,851,961 times

Advertisements

They say the creek runs under the existing parking lot. But where does it emerge? I don't see any trace of it from the air once it goes under the blacktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,291,441 times
It re-emerges just on the other side of the parking lot. It's a heavily wooded area so probably difficult to see in Satellite view.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,875,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They say the creek runs under the existing parking lot. But where does it emerge? I don't see any trace of it from the air once it goes under the blacktop.
The creek actually travels east to west and empties into the Platte River.

It flows from the Cherry Hills CC golf course through Cherry Hills into Englewood next to the Englewood HS sports fields. It continues west along Hampden, goes under Hampden and about 1/4 mile later it goes under Broadway and fills up a pond in the Hobby Lobby parking lot just west of Broadway and Hampden. From there it goes underground and travels west for about 2/3 mile and emerges from underneath the Englewood station parking lot and continues west under Santa Fe and into the river.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,831,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You mean where does the creek go underground on the East side? The water enters the pipe from a man made pond near the intersection of Hampden Ave. and Acoma St.

Until the 1980s it entered at about Cherokee St. There was an old lady who lived on Cherokee St. and owned the property the creek flowed through. After a long fight the Englewood City Government threw her out of her house, demolished it and buried the creek in that section to build the parking lot for the Englewood Market Place. Then they built that rather sorry excuse for a lake.

Here is an aerial of it, but it is not exact. The actual route is more curved. I may be able to find an old map that shows the actually location of the creek.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 PM

For what its worth, here is what the area looked like before they started paving everything over.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,707,712 times
Further proving the axiom that all politics is local.

Clearly it would be far too difficult to divert what is now for the most part an underground creek that opens up on it's last vestige of wetland (small though it may be.) These little amenities add up and can bring wonderful improvements to quality of life. To replace it with a parking lot is mighty convenient. What will they do when the new lot fills up, though? Will that be the time to pave over Cushing Park?

I don't know the specifics of RTD's economics, but I have to agree that the tiered fare system definitely encourages behavior counter to RTD's mission and objectives.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,851,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I don't know the specifics of RTD's economics, but I have to agree that the tiered fare system definitely encourages behavior counter to RTD's mission and objectives.
The train are running anyway. Does it really cost that much more to transport your butt an extra 3 miles? Just think how many more cars they could take off the road if people simply drove to their nearest station instead of down the road to a cheaper one.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,291,441 times
Thanks for the info and map, KaaBoom. Very interesting.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,875,700 times
I doubt it follows the same route as the creek did, because it was diverted underground when Cinderella City was built in the area between Elati St. and the railroad tracks. If you had ever been to Cinderella City you know that it had a basement and half of the parking was below street level.

My guess is that instead of turning southwest when it reached Floyd Ave, it was diverted straight west before it turned north.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I doubt it follows the same route as the creek did, because it was diverted underground when Cinderella City was built in the area between Elati St. and the railroad tracks. If you had ever been to Cinderella City you know that it had a basement and half of the parking was below street level.

My guess is that instead of turning southwest when it reached Floyd Ave, it was diverted straight west before it turned north.
I agree with that. I spent a lot of time in Cinderella City. The last time I was in Englwood, was when they were just wrapping up the demolition of Cinderella City. I looked down in the hole. There was no pipe under Cin City. The pipe clearly follows the original channel of the creek Northwest from the pond to the intersection of Elati and Floyd. Then runs West along the South side of Floyd to the Park and Ride. Then follows the the original channel again North until it emerges on the North side of the Park and Ride.

What bothers me most when I see that old map, is the amount of wetland that was lost. Until the late 1960s, basically the entire area from Broadway to Santa Fe was covered by wetlands. Now they want to destroy the last little bit that hasn't yet been developed. These developments come and go every 20-30 years. Open space and parks will last forever. But can never be replaced once they are gone. Its too bad that the Englewood City Government doesn't have a better vision of how to preserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver