Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Somehow DIA has managed to combine the complexity of requiring trains and shuttles to get to the concourse with a lot of walking to get to and from the trains. So I give it a poor rating for getting people to and from the planes.
Oh man did you every fly out of Stapleton? If you think DIA requires too much walking, you would have really have hated Stapleton. In that Airport you could easily spend 20 min. just walking from the ticket counter to the gate. Even walking on the moving walkway, with no delays through security. You would have wished they had a train.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Construction on DIA started in Sept. 1989 and the airport opened in Feb. 1995, a total of 5 1/2 years. It cost $4.8 billion to build (1991 dollars)

Soil Cleanup at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal concluded in 2008. Construction would take 5 years and with inflation, that same $4.8 billion would cost $7.5 billion (2008 dollars)

Besides, I live in the SW metro area. It is 38 miles to DIA and 34 miles to the southern boundary of the arsenal.The extra distance (4 miles) and time (3 minutes) is not an issue.
It is a lot farther to DIA than Stapleton for people on the west side. It is about 25 miles from my house in Louisville to Stapleton, 47 to DIA.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Oh man did you every fly out of Stapleton? If you think DIA requires too much walking, you would have really have hated Stapleton. In that Airport you could easily spend 20 min. just walking from the ticket counter to the gate. Even walking on the moving walkway, with no delays through security. You would have wished they had a train.
I did and I do remember a lot of walking. But I prefer to walk to my gate (even if it's a long walk). My comment was based on the design of DIA. If you have to take a train to get to two concourses then at least arrange the stops (and concourses) in such a way that the train can get you closer to your gate.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I did and I do remember a lot of walking. But I prefer to walk to my gate (even if it's a long walk). My comment was based on the design of DIA. If you have to take a train to get to two concourses then at least arrange the stops (and concourses) in such a way that the train can get you closer to your gate.
Well I kind of agree with you on that. I've read that one of the problems DIA is facing is that the train system is already running at close to capacity. I'd like to see them solve that problem by adding a second loop train line. It could load near the same place the current train does in the main terminal. Then it could run to new stops on the Eastern edges of Concourses A, B, C, D (when it gets built) then loop over to the West side of the concourses stopping at the Western edges of D, C, B, A, and back to where it started from in the main terminal. That way DIA users would have their choice when they go to catch the train to the concourses. They could choose the current train to the Center Concourses, or the new line to the East Concourses or the other direction to the West Concourses. Depending on where their departure gate is located. This would triple the capacity of the system, offer redundancy of having two lines (so if a train broke down the entire system wouldn't go down) and would get DIA travelers closer to their gate, with less walking.

But that is probably not going to happen due to financial reasons, unfortunately. Regardless I still think DIA is a better Airport with way less walking then Stapleton was.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is a lot farther to DIA than Stapleton for people on the west side. It is about 25 miles from my house in Louisville to Stapleton, 47 to DIA.
I have no idea where you could be living in Louisville, that would be that far from DIA. It's sure not the distance that Google Maps gives from Louisville to DIA.

Driving directions to Denver International Airport
This route has tolls.
Suggested routes
E-470 S 34.2 mi, 37 mins

Suggested routes
US-36 E and Peña Blvd 37.4 mi, 46 mins

Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Construction on DIA started in Sept. 1989 and the airport opened in Feb. 1995, a total of 5 1/2 years. It cost $4.8 billion to build (1991 dollars)
You're counting from when dirt moved; there were years of land purchasing, setup and politics before that.

Quote:
Besides, I live in the SW metro area. It is 38 miles to DIA and 34 miles to the southern boundary of the arsenal.The extra distance (4 miles) and time (3 minutes) is not an issue.
Ah, so now the REAL bias comes through!

As I said before, I like DIA - I just have a problem with trashing a perfectly good airport for "progress."

Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
Quote:
Somehow DIA has managed to combine the complexity of requiring trains and shuttles to get to the concourse with a lot of walking to get to and from the trains. So I give it a poor rating for getting people to and from the planes (and it's location does not facilitate efficient movement of people to and from the airport). But if I lived in Denver I would no doubt appreciate the lack of airplane noise. And they do seem to do a fairly good job of getting flights in and out on time.
Only concourses B and C require the train. Concourse A is walkable and even has its own security.

Concourse A was originally set to be United's concourse, but then Continental (who also hubbed out of DEN at the time) negotiated to get that A concourse because they wanted the walkability. They then promptly de-hubbed out of DEN almost concurrently with the opening of the new airport.

Today, Frontier and American are at concourse A among some others.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have no idea where you could be living in Louisville, that would be that far from DIA. It's sure not the distance that Google Maps gives from Louisville to DIA.

This route has tolls.
Suggested routes
E-470 S 34.2 mi, 37 mins

Suggested routes
US-36 E and Peña Blvd 37.4 mi, 46 mins
Sorry, my bad, 40 miles, putting in my address and going the second route (no tolls). Of course, that's just to the airport limits, not to the Pike's Peak parking lot.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Somehow DIA has managed to combine the complexity of requiring trains and shuttles to get to the concourse with a lot of walking to get to and from the trains. So I give it a poor rating for getting people to and from the planes (and it's location does not facilitate efficient movement of people to and from the airport). But if I lived in Denver I would no doubt appreciate the lack of airplane noise. And they do seem to do a fairly good job of getting flights in and out on time.
We get a fair amount of flights over Stapleton, depending on which runway is being used at DIA. Nothing like they must have experienced in Park Hill back when Stapleton was an airport, but it can still be a little noisy with a plane flying over every few minutes. But I like watching them fly over!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Only concourses B and C require the train. Concourse A is walkable and even has its own security.

Concourse A was originally set to be United's concourse, but then Continental (who also hubbed out of DEN at the time) negotiated to get that A concourse because they wanted the walkability. They then promptly de-hubbed out of DEN almost concurrently with the opening of the new airport.

Today, Frontier and American are at concourse A among some others.
Actually Concourse A was supposed for international flights only. United was supposed to be on Concourse B, all other airlines were supposed to be on Concourse C. But to sign up Continental as the first airline for DIA, they had to concede to let them be on Concourse A, and they added the bridge to the plans. That was to alleviate Continental's concerns about the train system.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-01-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver