U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 68,720 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We're moving to the area and I think I found a good place in Thornton - around the intersection of Thornton Parkway and Huron. It's north of 88th Ave, which I've heard is a northern border of more questionable areas, and generally the area looks pretty good. It's here:

Thornton Parkway and Huron, Thornton, CO - Google Maps

So what's the general thought on Thornton?

We're a late-twentysomething gay family from NY, with a little dog that loves to play, and generally looking to make friends, meet people, and get settled in the area. Is this a good place to "land" while we settle into a new lifestyle here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM

152 posts, read 343,316 times
Thornton is a slum. The city is beyond past its time! Everything is super old and run down. Live in Westminster.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,633,516 times
Is there any reason why you're looking in that part of metro Denver? I think you guys should look at Denver itself rather than one of the northern 'burbs, unless one of you has a job up there or something.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,809 times
I would say that area is so-so. Personally I like the more nothern areas of Thornton (past 120th)

Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 PM

345 posts, read 786,392 times
I lived in Thornton for 7 years, stay above 120th. I lived above it and to the East of Colorado Blvd, it is nicer, one large suburban area.
Sadly a stinking Wal-Mart popped up right in the middle of all the houses on 128th right near where I use to live.
Of course the farther North you go the more it costs.

The Adams 12 school system was pretty good when my kids went there.

There is shopping, a rec, activites and etc.
I did like it there except for the fact that it was run by no life HOA pitas who monitor when your leaves fall, your trash cans are out and etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
I have friends who've lived the last 20 years in a very nice area of Thornton, just off 136th Street - a bit further north of where you're looking at. That area is very residential, lots of established trees, schools and parks. Driving distance to shopping but not so close it's obnoxious. Easy access to I-25 too. The housing is older but seems to be in great shape.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
I used to work in Thornton, so am familiar with this area. I personally don't care for it. A lot of old '60s tract homes, mobile home parks, shopping is spread out and you have to use a car to get anywhere, and based on the people I saw shopping in the grocery stores around this area, mostly old people and young Hispanic immigrants with kids. It doesn't really seem like much of a fit for a gay couple (I'm half of a gay couple myself) but I doubt you'd have problems there because you're gay. You would probably feel isolated and wouldn't connect with your neighbors much. You'd have to drive down to Denver for any nightlife, but at least it's not far (maybe 15 min. via freeway), and I'm betting houses are much cheaper than in the city of Denver. Thornton just seems a little blah and depressing to me for some reason. Lots of old, junky strip malls, it's not at all walkable, and the way it's developed seems very odd to me. You'll see one area that's all '60s ranch homes, then an area that's still open/undeveloped, then a newer apartment complex, then brand new strip malls, more undeveloped area... kind of odd the way Thornton has sort of a checker-board feeling to its development.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,736,156 times
I echo most sentiments - I live in Thornton, near 120th and Holly. It's nice there, but when I drive to the Thornton park n ride on 88th and Grant, I'm reminded that not all of Thornton is nice. It's pretty crummy. I would recommend for someone of your demo's, to move closer to Denver.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,714,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I echo most sentiments - I live in Thornton, near 120th and Holly. It's nice there, but when I drive to the Thornton park n ride on 88th and Grant, I'm reminded that not all of Thornton is nice. It's pretty crummy. I would recommend for someone of your demo's, to move closer to Denver.
So basically if you're going to live there you should stick to "NorTho"?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,736,156 times
That's NoTho. Yep. A hot up and coming spot. Where the cool people hang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver