U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM

11,165 posts, read 12,802,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
7-11, Circle-K, Conoco... Natural Grocers, SunFlower, WholeFoods..

I grew up with Trader Joe's and I still don't understand the obsession people have with it...
Well, if you think 7-11 is an alternative for Trader Joe's, then you definitely don't get it

Healthy food, items you can't find at mainstream grocery stores, at much lower prices. That's the obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Depends on what you use it for. In Jersey, I used to hit it before going to Whole Foods to see if I could get the things there for significantly cheaper prices. For parties, I would go there to buy reasonably priced frozen apps. Their staples like greek yogurt, olive oil, bread, nuts, dried fruits, soy milk, etc. were WAY cheaper than any of the places you mentioned. Their sauces are good too.

There's a lot of junk there, but some of the stuff IS very cheap with good quality. Quicke marts like 7-11 and Circle-K tend to be more expensive, in my experience.
Well, you can't get a hot dog or taquito at Trader Joe's that's been rotating on a greasy grille for three days Or gas, tobacco, twinkies, lotto, big gulp...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 PM

310 posts, read 337,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
It's amazing how many people swear by Trader Joes. I think the reason why Trader Joe's doesn't show up is because they can't be successful in the area by opening just a few stores. Smart and Final tried it and got their, um..., groceries handed to them within 6 months.
Based on my experience of having lived in 2 different metros where Trader Joe's abound, I would guesstimate that TJ's could support maybe 4-6 stores spread throughout the Denver metro area. 5-8 if you throw in Boulder.

Add to that opportunities in Fort Collins, the Springs, etc. to better leverage the distribution and set-up costs...and you would think it would make financial sense at some point for TJ's to expand to the Front Range. There is certainly a demand for it!

As for the "obsession" with Trader Joe's...I'll admit (even as a loyal TJ's customer and flag waiver) it's not the "be all - end all" of grocery stores. For instance, their selection of fresh produce is pretty weak...I find myself often going to the farmers market, Whole Paycheck, or even conventional grocers to supplement my weekly list. As has been stated however, they do offer a lot of organic and healthy offerings at reasonable prices...I especially like to buy wine, cheese, nuts, coffee, crackers and cat food there...along with a host of great unique Trader Joe's products like Wasabi Mayo and Chipolte Hummus. The atmosphere (free coffee and wine samples, anyone?) and the friendly service @ TJ's is great too. On an average week, I probably buy ~ 50% of the stuff I need there. I get a lot of stuff from Aldi too (even cheaper on most things, same ownership as TJ's)...but very bare bones on service (i.e. box it yourself...which I personally don't mind).

Both Trader Joe's and Aldi would be a great additions for Denver.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 08-23-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM

6,379 posts, read 3,812,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, you can't get a hot dog or taquito at Trader Joe's that's been rotating on a greasy grille for three days Or gas, tobacco, twinkies, lotto, big gulp...
The worst part about your post is that I currently have an uncontrollable craving for a taquito or hot dog right now....and twinkies. Argh.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM

807 posts, read 709,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Based on my experience of having lived in 2 different metros where Trader Joe's abound, I would guesstimate that TJ's could support maybe 4-6 stores spread throughout the Denver metro area. 5-8 if you throw in Boulder.
I had a post similar to this and I think I came up with roughly the same number of stores that could easily be successful in the Denver Metro area.

Quote:
As for the "obsession" with Trader Joe's...I'll admit (even as a loyal TJ's customer and flag waiver) it's not the "be all - end all" of grocery stores. As has been stated however, they do offer a lot of organic and healthy offerings at reasonable prices...I especially like to buy wine, cheese, nuts, coffee, crackers and cat food there...along with a host of great unique Trader Joe's products like Wasabi Mayo and Chipolte Hummus.
I agree with most of the above, but for my family it is the dried fruit, nuts, coffee and above all, the Tomato Basil marinara. The whole wheat pasta and olive oil are favorites too.

Quote:
The atmosphere (free coffee and wine samples, anyone?) and the friendly service @ TJ's is great too.
Sadly, due to the liquor laws in Colorado the wine & beer selection will be limited to one store. I regularly use the two-buck Chuck to cook with and I know from experience that I will have a hard time finding a substitute that will give the same flavor. I'm not saying that is a great wine, but my recipes have been tweaked to work with it.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The worst part about your post is that I currently have an uncontrollable craving for a taquito or hot dog right now....and twinkies. Argh.
lol! I just came back from 7-11... but only for gum.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM

6,379 posts, read 3,812,619 times
And hey, as long as we're making a fantasy list, how about a Wawa. It's like 7-11 but better. And way-better-than-Subway sandwiches. And good coffee.

Which brings me to my next wish: Dunkin Donuts.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I had a post similar to this and I think I came up with roughly the same number of stores that could easily be successful in the Denver Metro area.

I agree with most of the above, but for my family it is the dried fruit, nuts, coffee and above all, the Tomato Basil marinara. The whole wheat pasta and olive oil are favorites too.

Sadly, due to the liquor laws in Colorado the wine & beer selection will be limited to one store. I regularly use the two-buck Chuck to cook with and I know from experience that I will have a hard time finding a substitute that will give the same flavor. I'm not saying that is a great wine, but my recipes have been tweaked to work with it.
I just received a shipment of $2 Chuck from the West Coast. I always order one whenever someone I know drives to TJ country lol! Not a bad batch this time.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
And hey, as long as we're making a fantasy list, how about a Wawa. It's like 7-11 but better. And way-better-than-Subway sandwiches. And good coffee.

Which brings me to my next wish: Dunkin Donuts.
I could swear I've seen a Dunking Donuts here, but I guess not. Maybe they sell their coffee at the grocery stores here? I'm not a donut consumer though.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM

33 posts, read 54,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I could swear I've seen a Dunking Donuts here, but I guess not. Maybe they sell their coffee at the grocery stores here? I'm not a donut consumer though.
They do sell DD coffee at the grocery store, but pretty sure there's no stores anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver