U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 AM

9,359 posts, read 7,613,152 times
Beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM

10,105 posts, read 11,374,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I don't care who really makes the products for them, or if the package is a slightly different size, but you are absolutely right about the unique items!

Their Tomato Basil Marinara is the best jarred sauce I've found ($2), the whole wheat pasta ($1.50) is better than the national brand I've tried. Their pretzel chips, orange chicken, nuts (including the original Eagle brand Honey Roasted Peanuts recipe) & dried fruits are all staples in our house and cost less than the super market varieties, regardless of minor packaging differences.
Oh, I miss their Orange Chicken! It was good and cheap. They had other decent frozen "meals for two" that were healthy.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM

744 posts, read 572,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, I miss their Orange Chicken! It was good and cheap. They had other decent frozen "meals for two" that were healthy.
My oldest daughter would eat Orange Chicken three times a day, seven days a week if I let her. I rarely crave it and when I do I only like REALLY good Orange Chicken, but that's hard to find even in a restaurant down here.

The Costco stuff is cheaper, but barely edible IMHO and always leaves my stomach upset. Trader Joe's version tastes good enough that I will actually suggest we eat it occasionally and doesn't leave me feeling ill (a very good thing when it comes to food I think).

I am also a fan of their frozen Thai soup, some of the seafood can be pretty decent and the jars of "simmer sauce", particularly the curry (along with some frozen garlic naan) make a good and easy weeknight dinner.

Oh, man, now I am hungry...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,836,497 times
Colfax Streetcar Feasibility Study | City and County of Denver | Public Works

^This is missing. Does anyone know if they're ever going to follow through with it?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM

295 posts, read 186,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Colfax Streetcar Feasibility Study | City and County of Denver | Public Works

^This is missing. Does anyone know if they're ever going to follow through with it?
That study was just to see if a streetcar was feasible. They are studying all the alternatives now in a manner consistent with transit plans. In other words they are studying it in a format they can act upon and apply for funding with.

This is the latest update on the current study.

The Colfax Corridor Connections study was supposed to be a little further along at this point, but from what I have heard the modeling on that corridor is much more complex than they anticipated, and they are getting creative with some of the options.

I am sure they are going to follow through with something. They cannot cram anymore people on the 15/15L during most hours, they are out of alternate transit corridors to add service to, and they cannot make the buses more frequent without other changes. It's more of a matter of what (streetcar vs enhanced bus vs fake BRT) and when.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 3,740,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
That study was just to see if a streetcar was feasible. They are studying all the alternatives now in a manner consistent with transit plans. In other words they are studying it in a format they can act upon and apply for funding with.

This is the latest update on the current study.

The Colfax Corridor Connections study was supposed to be a little further along at this point, but from what I have heard the modeling on that corridor is much more complex than they anticipated, and they are getting creative with some of the options.

I am sure they are going to follow through with something. They cannot cram anymore people on the 15/15L during most hours, they are out of alternate transit corridors to add service to, and they cannot make the buses more frequent without other changes. It's more of a matter of what (streetcar vs enhanced bus vs fake BRT) and when.
Streetcars are nice, but ultimately it comes down to the number of stops they have. If you have a lot of stops it makes it real convenient for residents to use, but then it becomes only slightly more efficient than a bus. I think its clear something needs to be built east/west across the middle of the city, its just Colfax may or may not be the best spot for it.

Right of ways are getting awfully expensive and limited outside of using freeways and existing rail tracks. Seems to me elevated tracks are going to have to enter the discussion soon if RTD really wants to reach the densest areas where they can serve a lot more people.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,204,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Right of ways are getting awfully expensive and limited outside of using freeways and existing rail tracks. Seems to me elevated tracks are going to have to enter the discussion soon if RTD really wants to reach the densest areas where they can serve a lot more people.
Or <financial horror!>...SUBWAYS.

With enough of that green stuff, they could park a stop at Civic Center Station, branch right up to another at Union Station ("shuttle express"), and THEN we've got ourselves a handy little system going.

What. Let a transit kid dream a little, eh? Aww shucks. It'll never happen. I guess SimCity awaits...

Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,101,443 times
Me!

I never understood why Denver didn't have a subway but the shuttle system is a good start-

Maybe they will build one from Denver to the airport-

I really hope they will build more then one way to get in and out of DIA-

Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM

2,526 posts, read 940,394 times
There really isn't a big body of water anywhere in the immediate Denver metro (none that I know of anyway). There are some decent sized reservoirs, but nothing like other large, non-coastal cities have. Not a big deal or anything, but it'd be nice. Its funny watching like 10-15 boats all share a reservoir the size of a shopping mall. not a whole lot of room LOL.

The only other thing I miss is a "true" market. Now obviously I'm spoiled because before moving to Denver I lived in Seattle, which has Pike's Place market, one of the biggest and best markets in north america. But even when living in little ol' Columbia, SC...they had a pretty good sized open air market with 100+ vendors. We've been to a few farmers markets around town, and this past weekend rode up to the northeast side of town off I-70 to hit that market up there, and I wasn't impressed at all.

those are the only two things I can really think of. But Denver has so much else to offer, honestly I couldn't care less that those two things I mentioned above aren't here. But I'm just sticking with the theme of the thread.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM

1,554 posts, read 858,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Me!

I never understood why Denver didn't have a subway but the shuttle system is a good start-

Maybe they will build one from Denver to the airport-

I really hope they will build more then one way to get in and out of DIA-
Am I understanding correctly that you are suggesting a subway to DIA?

They are in the midst of building a rail line from DIA to downtown. Why spend countless millions to put something underground when it doesn't need to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver