U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,130,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yeah, I've heard that. But I think that is a bit of a stretch. I was just thinking of Colfax from Heritage Rd. in Golden to Picadilly Rd. in Aurora. 25 miles in almost a straight line uninterrupted. And Wadsworth Blvd. from 120th in Broomfield to Waterton Rd. is also about 25 miles with only a few slight curves. Federal Blvd. and Sharidian Blvd. are both over 20 miles straight line. Even Broadway and Alameda West of Cherry Creak are about 15 miles long. Over all I'd say that Denver has more long through streets then any other city.
Denver has more than the eastern cities for sure, but Phoenix has many more streets that go from one end of the metro area to the other. Unlike Denver, Phoenix has several streets that traverse the entire metro area (in addition to a few freeways).

A flat city like Denver has no excuse not to have adequate access across the metro area, especially since the only way to get from the west end of the metro area to the east end is to use I-70, Colfax or C-470. And the only way to travel from the north to the south is I-25, E-470 or Wadsworth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,383,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
He killed the I-470 beltway which would have been built mostly with federal funds as part of the Interstate Highway system. The plan was later resurrected as C-470 (built with state money), but limited to 2 lanes each way or he would have vetoed funding.
I confess to not knowing the full history on this, but didn't part of the decision not to complete C-470 have to do with Golden and Boulder deciding they didn't want a beltway running through parts of their city limits? Just curious what (if anything) that may (or may not) have contributed to this.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I am very ambivalent to the chains from other parts of the country. Most of the time they are overrated and successful here only because they are frequented by the people who moved into Denver and want to make it into the place they left.

What does Denver NEED?

1. Better east-west arterial streets: Belleview ends near Platte Canyon, Arapahoe ends at Broadway, Orchard disappears in the mansions of Greenwood Village, Bowles/Littleton Blvd ends at Broadway, Hampden ends at Havana, Evans ends at Sheridan, Alameda ends near Cherry Creek, 6th ave ends at Lowry, downtown Denver's different grid swallows MLK, 38th Ave and 44th Ave, and there is not a through street above Colfax until you get to 110th Ave/Church Ranch Rd./104th Ave or to 120th Ave.

The same could be said of the North-South arterials as well, but I always find my self having a harder time traveling east-west than north-south.
I rather like Denver's lack of through streets...I think it helps enhance the concept of neighborhoods...but then I don't drive so much as use public transit.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Denver has more than the eastern cities for sure, but Phoenix has many more streets that go from one end of the metro area to the other. Unlike Denver, Phoenix has several streets that traverse the entire metro area (in addition to a few freeways).
True that. I know Bell Road is on that list of longest commercial streets in the country (along with some street in Florida, is my understanding.) Aside from the occasional mountain getting in the way, Phoenix's streets tend to carry right on through the city, for good or ill.

Quote:
A flat city like Denver has no excuse not to have adequate access across the metro area, especially since the only way to get from the west end of the metro area to the east end is to use I-70, Colfax or C-470. And the only way to travel from the north to the south is I-25, E-470 or Wadsworth.
Well, that neighborhoods grew up at different times might make some difference...I mean, there are homes potentially in the way of putting some of those streets through now.

And though I know they don't traverse the whole city, there are several other streets that, with a little navigation, can get you across the city just fine. It's not ideal if you're someone that spends a lot of time on the road, I'll grant you that, but as I said in a prior post, I kind of like the way it breaks up what I actually think would be worse traffic and lower density.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 AM

149 posts, read 286,989 times
Denver is missing good restaurants. I can name two off the top of my head: Rioja and Domo. The remaining restaurants are either overrated, overpriced, or chain. The latter is my biggest complaint - too many chain restaurants here.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 AM

8,105 posts, read 10,051,185 times
A really good Electronics Store like J&R or BH or Fry's even, with unique worldclass stock.

A major indoor water park like Minneapolis has: Water Park of America, America's Biggest Indoor Water Park, located in Bloomington, Minnesota - Home

Just to repeat what someone earlier stated, a high speed train from Denver to Vail (I 70)

Last edited by Mach50; 07-31-2011 at 02:23 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 02:36 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,130,489 times
I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but rail traffic to the ski resorts up I-70 is not possible with the steep grades up the mountains. The reason the train tracks out of Denver take the route that they do is because that is the most practical route with gradual inclines. Parts of I70 have 6% and 7% grades, a runaway train would be inevitable and a crash would be castastrophic.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 AM

8,105 posts, read 10,051,185 times
Quote:
I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but rail traffic to the ski resorts up I-70 is not possible with the steep grades up the mountains. The reason the train tracks out of Denver take the route that they do is because that is the most practical route with gradual inclines. Parts of I70 have 6% and 7% grades, a runaway train would be inevitable and a crash would be castastrophic.
What about the Skitrain?

Quote:
The route climbed about 4,000 feet (1,200 m) and passed through 29 tunnels before reaching the final mountain underpass, the 6.2-mile (10.0 km) long Moffat Tunnel. This is the highest railroad tunnel in the United States and passes under the Continental Divide.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 AM

9,122 posts, read 12,193,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
A really good Electronics Store like J&R or BH or Fry's even, with unique worldclass stock.
Have you been to Micro Center yet?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 AM

10,970 posts, read 9,889,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
successful football team
Despite having a couple down years, the Broncos are one of the more successful teams in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver