U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
For a city/metro of the size you are looking for, with a more or less similar climate to Denver, you may check out Spokane, WA ... I googled it an there is a congregation and Jewish community. I've never been there, but it does seem like it has a neat downtown, old neighborhoods, and great scenery not too far from the city. I know some folks on the Washington forum are negative about Spokane, but I suspect this is more coming from Seattle/Portland people who just couldn't imagine living in a metro of less than 2-3 million that wasn't on "the coast".
Climate is quite a bit different, there is a small Jewish community but it is mostly a Catholic and Evangelical town, great scenery within city limits and to north and east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 23,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
For a city/metro of the size you are looking for, with a more or less similar climate to Denver, you may check out Spokane, WA ... I googled it an there is a congregation and Jewish community. I've never been there, but it does seem like it has a neat downtown, old neighborhoods, and great scenery not too far from the city. I know some folks on the Washington forum are negative about Spokane, but I suspect this is more coming from Seattle/Portland people who just couldn't imagine living in a metro of less than 2-3 million that wasn't on "the coast".
Or maybe in Seattle? I live in Wedgewood and there is a big Jewish community here. I guess we don't have four seasons though ...

Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 514,489 times
Smog, traffic, crime etc. in Denver is NOTHING compared to DC or any of the large east coast cities. Come visit & see for yourself. Spend 3-4 days here and you'll get a feel for the city. That's how long it took us to decide to pick up from NJ and move here.

We live in Lowry (near the hilltop community mentioned above) and regularly see people walk to the temple.

A lot of Denver is walkable in the sense that there are nice sidewalks. But if you want to buy food, go to restaurants etc., choose your location carefully or be prepared to walk longer distances than you would in an east coast city. However, Denver is a very bicycle friendly city & the weather suits it too. We haven't used the public transport, but many here swear by it.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or