U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,809,471 times
Colfax is bad? LOL.

Please ignore the county folks. The same ones who ruin Pete's Kitchen every single weekend morning driving 40 minutes out of their way to mess it up for us locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,431 times
all of them. is it like new york busy, where people just walk every where? do you usually just take a taxi wherever you want to go?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM

8,463 posts, read 10,829,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorytristan View Post
all of them. is it like new york busy, where people just walk every where? do you usually just take a taxi wherever you want to go?
Is what like New York busy?

Nowhere in Colorado "is like New York busy".

Some people take cabs, but not very many. Most people drive their own cars. In the most dense commercial areas, you'll see people walking, but that doesn't mean they walked to get there. Others ride bikes.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM

11,728 posts, read 22,912,448 times
Quote:
The Denver area isn't New York City. You'll see more people walking in the denser downtown areas but overall its a car based region.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 AM

615 posts, read 2,071,601 times
Quote:
I have a few questions. I've never been, and I'd like to know more about it before I decide if I want to visit or not.
1-Does it snow a lot?
2-If not, is it still pretty cold year round?
3-Are the streets busy? Are there people walking on every street?
Thank you so much to those who answer
1) What is your definition of a lot? General answer is, probably not as much as you think. The truth is that bad weather in CO doesn't stay around for long and then the sun is out and it is pleasant. We can a foot of snow one day and then the sun comes out and it is mostly gone in a few days. It can also dump snow in the mountains and we get nothing down in the metro area. We also get over 300 sunny days per year.

2) We can get a few days of below zero temps and a few in the high 90's.

3) In downtown Denver more so. The burbs, not so much. Most people have their own cars. Some use the public transit buses or light rail.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 17,555 times
Default Where is the 1/4 non ghetto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
there is a good reason why Aurora has so many resale homes. first, its the most undesirable area of denver. second, its 3/4 ghetto, high crime, high taxes, its an arm pit. i lived there for 8 years and i sold my home at 19% loss! but i had to get out of there, so it was worth the loss
I've read how people from all over the world live in Aurora. I love scenery and wide open spaces but could live without it for the sake of living in a diverse area again, a community where I'm not shunned. What I'm looking for is not so much living in a specifically Filipino-American community (though I would love to know if there is such a thing in Denver) but rather a community of culturally/racially diverse persons who don't have a problem with living side by side. Also I'm concerned about avoiding high crime areas. So where are the "mellow" parts of Aurora?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM

87 posts, read 204,485 times
I think most of the crime "ghetto" is in the northern part of Aurora - I've been here a year and haven't seen anything out in my neck of the woods other than a quiet, diverse community. We were told when looking to look at areas south of Mississippi. And, we focused only on homes in the Cherry Creek School District.

I've said it several times in my previous posts, but the area of Aurora I live in (Saddle Rock Ridge, within a few miles of Southlands Mall and E70) is fairly crime free, and very diverse.

I don't know where the poster who took a 19% loss on his home was as Aurora is a huge city spanning a large part of the metro area, but I'd have to wonder if that was because of the specific area he lived in, the economic downtown of the real estate market, or a combination of the two. In the year that I've been here we've actually seen houses in our specific subdivision grow.

Advice on moving to this city should probably be the same as given to any city - do your homework, make the decision that's best for you. Take a few trips into the subdivision at different times during the day/night and observe what's going on. I can't speak for all of Aurora, but the specific area I'm in we frequently take walks early in the morning or late at night, the neighbors keep an eye on things when we're out of town, etc.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM

5,457 posts, read 13,501,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassRockOak View Post
I've read how people from all over the world live in Aurora. I love scenery and wide open spaces but could live without it for the sake of living in a diverse area again, a community where I'm not shunned. What I'm looking for is not so much living in a specifically Filipino-American community (though I would love to know if there is such a thing in Denver) but rather a community of culturally/racially diverse persons who don't have a problem with living side by side. Also I'm concerned about avoiding high crime areas. So where are the "mellow" parts of Aurora?
Most of what you read about Aurora is recirculated crap from someone who "heard" based on something that was "read" which was "heard" from someone else. Come out, look around, and draw your own conclusions.

The problem areas are mostly along E. Colfax; most of the areas north of 6th Ave aren't great-- but even then things have improved from what they were like in years past.

The part of Aurora in the vicinity of Havana, Yale, Iliff, and Parker has a large Asian community and is safe.

Take a look at my two photo tours:
Aurora, CO / Iliff Ave -- PHOTO TOUR
Parker Rd/ Leetsdale Dr -- PHOTO TOUR

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeth79 View Post
Take a few trips into the subdivision at different times during the day/night and observe what's going on.
My son (in New Mexico) intends to visit Denver but now I'm thinking I should take at least one trip and look around for myself too (depending on how our plans develop). Thanks for being specific about your experience living there.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The problem areas are mostly along E. Colfax; most of the areas north of 6th Ave aren't great-- but even then things have improved from what they were like in years past. The part of Aurora in the vicinity of Havana, Yale, Iliff, and Parker has a large Asian community and is safe.
Such specific suggestions give my sons and I some idea where to actually look around. I am still waiting for all the photos to come up on my screen (I live in the boonies and have very slow dial-up only) but what I've glimpsed so far doesn't look very scary at all! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver