Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:47 AM

42 posts, read 166,752 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why there are so many resale homes in SE Aurora compared to the rest of Denver? The homes are beautiful and so is the area but it seems people are trying to leave for some reason. Does the name "Aurora: have a bad rap?? Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Aurora is the third largest city in Colorado. Some folks will hear that "Aurora" is a bad place to live and never investigate the area for themselves.

The same thing can be said for any place. Since plenty of people call "Aurora" home...can it really be that bad?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 AM

42 posts, read 166,752 times
Well I have that same situation in San Diego the city name has a bad name so there housing markets suffer because of that. I just notice when I'm looking for houses in CO. there are so many houses on the market in SE Aurora compared to others such as HR and the housing prices are much cheaper in SE Aurora. My understanding is for some reason Aurora is sterotyped as a non desirable place in Co. and just what you said no one ever investigates it for themselves but unfortunately I have the same problem here in San Diego and because of the reputation the housing market suffers.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego mover View Post
Does anyone know why there are so many resale homes in SE Aurora compared to the rest of Denver? The homes are beautiful and so is the area but it seems people are trying to leave for some reason. Does the name "Aurora: have a bad rap?? Thanks for any insight you can give me.
I don't think it has much to do with the bad rap for Aurora. It's more likely because of the eastern location. People move to Colorado to be close to mountains, not to the plains. Aurora is far from the mountains, so it's often overlooked for that reason.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Does anyone know how Southeast Aurora housing price appreciation tends to do compared to other parts of the region like say, Highlands Ranch? Yes, its cheaper to buy, but does it tend to appreciate less or does it suffer more in market downturns?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM

34 posts, read 122,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Does anyone know how Southeast Aurora housing price appreciation tends to do compared to other parts of the region like say, Highlands Ranch? Yes, its cheaper to buy, but does it tend to appreciate less or does it suffer more in market downturns?
Compare the cost per sq ft vs Centennial or Parker or other communities in the area OVER TIME. Some of the neighborhoods in SE Aurora haven't been around long enough to have been through the last downturn. Especially the ones east of 470.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 PM

32 posts, read 163,849 times
I currently live in SE Aurora. I agree, there are a lot of re-sale homes in the area. We're actually planning on listing soon -- and not because we want to move, but because our son has been diagnosed with a medical condition that will worsen with exposure to UV rays. Colorado is not the place to be if you're trying to escape UV rays. It's ironic -- we moved here largely because we enjoy the sunny climate, yet that's the reason we're needing to move. Any how, we are very nervous that we won't be able to sell our home. Several neighbors are also selling -- here are some of their reasons: new job location, death of a spouse, building a bigger home in a nearby subdivision, wanting a bigger lot, and a few are discovering they can't really afford to live here. I don't think these reasons are out of the ordinary. . . are they?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 23,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Aurora is the third largest city in Colorado. Some folks will hear that "Aurora" is a bad place to live and never investigate the area for themselves.

The same thing can be said for any place. Since plenty of people call "Aurora" home...can it really be that bad?

Actually parts of Aurora are that bad, stay away from 6th and Colfax.
The area is very gangy and infested with bad stuff.
The new homes are being built on the other side of the freeway from this, I have a friend who lives there and likes it.
We lived at one point up towards Buckingham Square and HATED it.

The complex we were in was full of dry rot, we were waiting for our neighbor to come crashing through the ceiling.
This was not a cheap complex either.
8 different cars were broken into 14 were vandalized and ours was stolen, when we got it back it was driven over 3500 miles.
When we got the call from the officer to come pick it up, we arrived and he said he saw them but he didn't bother chasing them because it was 3 illegals and no one would do anything anyways.
I was furious. Where was our car? It was down by colfax and 6th of course.
Everything inside including my childrens stuff was stolen and the car was trashed.

The area is infested with spiders, now being from NYC and So Cal I can handle rats, earthquakes and bats.. but spiders.. I scream like a girl and run the other way and my wife constantly had to come into the room to kill it with a hammer.
Spiders were coming through the plumbing which i've heard is a big problem throughout co. so they would drop on your head from the shower or come flying out of the bathtub spout.

Traffic was horrible at certain times.
We found ppl very rude which is funny since yes we are from NYC.

I do wish we could have afforded downtown denver it was much more our style vs. aurora.

There was at one time a big problem with the developments, the foundation was buckling in from under the homes, not sure if that is still true to case.
But they build homes durring un desireable weather where other states wouldn't.

There are some good areas of Aurora i'm sure, I just haven't experienced them.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 AM

161 posts, read 731,131 times
there is a good reason why Aurora has so many resale homes. first, its the most undesirable area of denver. second, its 3/4 ghetto, high crime, high taxes, its an arm pit. i lived there for 8 years and i sold my home at 19% loss! but i had to get out of there, so it was worth the loss

Last edited by mdz; 08-29-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
its 3/4 ghetto, high crime, high taxes, its an arm pit.
Nothing like some good old exaggeration to make a point I grew up around Aurora and there are good and definitely bad parts of the city.

Aurora does suffer from a stigma due to the bad areas and the crime associated with it. You see that expressed a lot on this forum. I do believe that stigma does affect property values even in the good parts of the city. That is one of the reasons we did not to buy a house there. Another is that I'd rather be closer to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver