Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
All of Texas is miserable in the summer. Extremely hot and bone dry. Evidently all the people moving there must like the heat. It's far worse than Arizona because of the humidity. Dallas and Austin are actually usually HOTTER than Phoenix and have much higher humidity which makes it consistently feel like 110+.
We'll have to spar about it elsewhere, but having lived over a decade in Phoenix and survived many a summer that stayed over 110 degrees (and seldom dipped below 95 even at night), I'll remind "dry heat" fans that if you actually have to spend any time outside in a place like Phoenix or Vegas, the sweat evaporates so quickly from your skin at those temperatures that you lose all efficiency in removing heat from your body.

Denver is much more pleasant to say the least, but I don't know that it ever breaks 110 here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM

2,885 posts, read 7,106,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
. . .
Denver is much more pleasant to say the least, but I don't know that it ever breaks 110 here.
It never has hit 110 in Denver. The record is 105º - reached twice -
August 8, 1878 and July 20, 2005.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
It never has hit 110 in Denver. The record is 105º - reached twice -
August 8, 1878 and July 20, 2005.
I remember the 2005 day in Denver quite well. I had just moved here from CA. The 105 temp was taken at DIA, but my car, numerous bank thermometers in Denver (urban Denver, not DIA), and the news mentioned it too.. were reading 109.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
We'll have to spar about it elsewhere, but having lived over a decade in Phoenix and survived many a summer that stayed over 110 degrees (and seldom dipped below 95 even at night), I'll remind "dry heat" fans that if you actually have to spend any time outside in a place like Phoenix or Vegas, the sweat evaporates so quickly from your skin at those temperatures that you lose all efficiency in removing heat from your body.

I agree with the above, and will add that when it gets into the high 90s here in Denver, it's hot. It's like being in an oven, as opposed to being in a steam bath such as in DC, and Champaign, IL. Some days you could see the steam rising from the cornfields there.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

310 posts, read 649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I have to admit, folks here are pretty spoiled during the summer. Having spent 20 years in DC and 6 years in North/South Carolina, the folks here in Denver don't know what hot is.

Anybody who ever lived on the east coast I'm sure doesn't miss the humidity. Try being in South Carolina in early August. 101 degrees and 80% humidity. Yuck!

matter of fact, just for fun, I just google searched Columbia, SC's weather for today. 99 degrees with 78% humidity. LOL!!!

Columbia, South Carolina (29201) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Ditto that from the Midwest. Current weather report from STL: 98degF / heat index of 108 ...and we haven't even hit the hot part of the day yet... (only 12:30p here). The other night it was still 93degF and muggy at 10 p.m. at night! For those of us who are heat intolerant, you feel like a prisoner in your own home (or office) here from about mid-June through the end of August...that's what we mean by "oppressive".

Just had to add another voice to the chorus saying: Denver folks...I'm sure this recent stretch seems hot to you...but yes, compared to most of the rest of the country, you DO have it good!

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 08-02-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,074,776 times
93 degrees at 10PM?! that's crazy LOL!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM

563 posts, read 906,694 times
Quote:

The actual act of sweat evaporating from your body IS what cools your body. That is why DRY weather is so much more bearable than, say, where I live in Houston.

There is so much mositure in the air down here (dew points constanly above 70) that the sweat on your body has no where to go so you don't cool naturally. Add 100+ temps on top of that... If you want to get cool you have to go inside where the sweat will evaporate much quicker.

I know this is a Denver thread but I am moving there in a week or so to "ecscape the heat." Down here we have had constant temps above 90 (heat indexes 100+) since, I can't even remeber when. At least 3 months.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,074,776 times
My friend has been in Houston for a few years now. He loves the area, but he tells me all the time how bad the humidity is down there. Like, "oh my god, i'm gonna die" bad. LOL.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,256,574 times
I lived in Colorado Springs back in the late 90's and don't remember it ever getting above 90F. Generally Colorado Springs is cooler than Denver in the summer, but it seems like the thunderstorms always formed in the afternoon which thwarted an otherwise rapid temperature increase from the early morning hours.

But it's really interesting when you think about it. Most of metro Denver is between 5-6000 feet above sea level, yet it can STILL get well into the 90's. I've always found that rather odd, especially during a warmer summer like this one.

AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT DENVER DOESN'T HAVE A GREAT SUMMER CLIMATE SHOULD SPEND JULY AND AUGUST IN AUSTIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputycorndog View Post
Compared to many parts of the southwest, it isn't too bad and considering how humid it is in another parts of the country we are fortunate. However, since moving here in 2006, I have always heard locals say how much cooler the summers were in the 80's and early part of the 90's. Is that true? Is it hotter now than it used to be or is poor memory from when they were younger?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I lived in Colorado Springs back in the late 90's and don't remember it ever getting above 90F. Generally Colorado Springs is cooler than Denver in the summer, but it seems like the thunderstorms always formed in the afternoon which thwarted an otherwise rapid temperature increase from the early morning hours.

But it's really interesting when you think about it. Most of metro Denver is between 5-6000 feet above sea level, yet it can STILL get well into the 90's. I've always found that rather odd, especially during a warmer summer like this one.

AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT DENVER DOESN'T HAVE A GREAT SUMMER CLIMATE SHOULD SPEND JULY AND AUGUST IN AUSTIN.
I lived in San Antonio for two years. I remember in Summer I would put a towel over my seat because, even with the A/C on full blast, my back would sweat all the way home from work! I suppose you do adjust to it over time, but it was still fairly miserable for at least 5 months per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver