Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

Some members of my family and I are considering a hiking trip out in Colorado and I'm looking for some ideas. Lots of ranges of people would like to go (I'm from a big family). Most are in the 20-40ish range in reasonable shape - my nieces and nephews. A few of us have some some multi day hikes but many have not so we aren't looking for anything technical or long (more than about 7 miles a day I would consider max). But a scenic area to visit with a multi day hike involved. I know I won't get a specific hike but looking for ideas at this point as next year would be the first available time frame. Here's what I'm thinking:

- within a day's drive of Denver - brother lives there and would be home base
- can be point to point as we may have some members that would just like to visit and can server to be drop off and pick up drivers
- 3-4 days hiking
- not more than about 20 miles
- we're not looking to do any high peaks or anything as we are all pretty much flatlanders so the altitude adjustment will be a an issue
- would obviously like to get away from the crowds and see the scenery

With my brother in Denver I've been there a few times and drove around many parts of the state but not much real hiking and trying to organize a handful or more of my family to join me is going to be tough.

Throw me some ideas and I'll do some research - I'll be getting some hiking books as well - anything anyone can recommend there as well that would be a good resource would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
If you are willing to go out to Glenwood Springs (3 hrs one way from Denver) here are some awesome possibilities:

1. Marble to the ghost town of Crystal.

2. Hanging Lake

3. Glenwood Canyon Trail

Hikers can hike, the non-hikers can enjoy the town. You can spend the night if you like and enjoy the hot springs.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM

345 posts, read 913,959 times
I like hiking St. Mary's Glacier, it is a short hike, all up hill, but it is very pretty and if some of your family members are ok with continuing up they can keep going up the glacier or along side of it.

There is hiking behind NCAR in Boulder. I find the hike to Mallory's cave boring, but my family likes it, to me it is pretty flat. I like the climb up to the actual cave, that part is pretty fun. Some parts of the year the cave is closed off due to the bats who roost there. You can go into NCAR for free and see the museum, then go hike out back.

Castle Rocks had trails that were not too steep. I forget the exact name of where we went.

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Not steep and there are other activites to do down there. Skip 7 Falls, not worth it. The zoo is a lot like hiking as well

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 AM

345 posts, read 913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Castle Rocks
It is Castle Rock not Rocks but it won't let me fix it. Typing too fast and thinking at the same time

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM

171 posts, read 581,950 times
Rocky Mtn National Park meets/exceeds all of your requirements except for the altitude part. But honestly, I'd rather deal with the altitude and see some great mountain vistas than hike on the plains....

Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Denver-Boulder-Greeley, Colorado

Also, ElDorado Canyon State Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Devil's Head (but the long washboard road to get to it takes a toll after a while).

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 275,435 times
What time of year?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 37,238 times
Default 3-4 Day - 20 Mile Hike Suggestion

I'd recommend Pine Creek to Missouri Basin just outside of Buena Vista.
It's about 10 miles in, old cabins, cascades, and hiking up into the missouri basin is great. Lots of brook trout and breath taking views. There are four 14ers accessible on this route, too. The hike in is probably the hardest part, but once you get into the first meadow, you can take your time and explore.

Here is the Map You would want: Trails Illustrated #129

If you are looking for hikes close to Denver to get acclimated check out DayHikes Near Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver