Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 19,020 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving from Oak Park, IL to Ken-Caryl. We're interested in living in the valley. I've read a lot of threads and posts about Ken-Caryl on this forum. It sounds like a great place to live if one is looking for a family-oriented suburban location with superb access to outdoor activities, good to excellent schools, good park district activities/programs and one of the communities closer to the mountains. Apart from the relatively higher cost of housing (compared to other Denver suburbs), slightly older homes and lack of ethnic/racial diversity what are some of the other negatives about Ken-Caryl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Mainly distance from most work centers making for a pretty crappy commute on average. Age of homes isn't really an issue unless you are comparing to areas south or east of C/E-470.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Mainly distance from most work centers making for a pretty crappy commute on average. Age of homes isn't really an issue unless you are comparing to areas south or east of C/E-470.
This can be an issue as well as distance to downtown. If you plan on being downtown often, you will get very tired of the drive.

The same is true if you need to access the airport often.

BTW- Ken Caryl Valley would be considered IN the mountains (or at least the foothills). Check out this photo of the valley. Just so you know, this picture was taken in the Valley and yes, they are real.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Doesn't that area have a big problem with bad soil too?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You mean there's good soil somewhere in Colorado? Mine is horrible... dig down 3" and you hit solid clay.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean there's good soil somewhere in Colorado? Mine is horrible... dig down 3" and you hit solid clay.
Guessing they're referring to bentonite and stability issues, not growing issues.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I assume you are talking about expansive soils. There were isolated problems when the area was built out, but pretty much any problem has been mitigated by now. Have your realtor check out the property before you make an offer. If a house is priced very low, then you should be wary of a problem.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Lots of info in the COLO forums on the soil problems in the whole region, to find it, use our search tool with keywords: bentonite or expansive and you will get a good deal of info on that topic. NOTE: Always get a soils test for any property you buy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Have your realtor check out the property before you make an offer.
Realtors are not licensed to "check out the property" with regards to structural damage. They can however point you in the direction of a good home inspector.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 PM

171 posts, read 581,747 times
My wife and I looked in Ken Caryl extensively before finally deciding against living there. Here's my view:

Pluses:
- Very close to some great hiking
- A well-maintained little "utopia"
- Lots of greenbelts/open space between the houses (compared to other planned communities)

Minuses:
- Houses are pretty old and outdated for the price
- Extremely long commute to typical workplaces along the I-25 corridor
- Besides what's actually in the valley, there isnt much around Ken Caryl

Ultimately, I'm happy about our decision because I didnt realize how bad the commute along C-470 to my workplace on I-25 would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver