Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 12:32 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to spend a month in Denver in May-June timeframe. Looking to explore the metro area but also do a few trips to Rocky Mountain NP. I'm looking for the best area to stay in terms of safety and access. I have heard that car thefts etc. are an issue closer to the metro area so probably want to stay away from there.

I was thinking it would be better to stay in Boulder and take the bus into Denver, takes about an hour but seems less stressful.

How is the Ruby Hill Park area in terms of safety?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 12:44 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Stay in the south ‘burbs: Lone Tree or Littleton and take light rail in. Ruby Hill is going to be hit or miss. I personally would only go there in daylight hours.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:23 PM

is there any spot in downtown Denver that is safe for me to park my car without the risk of break in? I don't mind staying further out and driving a bit.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:49 PM

126 posts, read 145,373 times
If you leave your car parked outside anywhere (city, suburb or rural location) there is a risk of break in. I've parked my car (a "luxury" brand) at night, in downtown garages, several times and have not had a problem. However, I parked it in a suburban gym parking lot at noon on a Saturday and the window was smashed out and the thief stole an empty shopping bag.
Are you leaving it for a few hours or overnight? For a few hours you can valet it at one of the hotels (that might be "safer"). Keep in mind that this is an odds game. There are thousands of cars parked downtown at any given time. Yours is just one of them -- chances are it will be fine, just do NOT leave anything out and visible - no matter how insignificant -- and leave nothing of value anywhere in the car (trunk included).

Old 02-19-2024, 02:29 PM

thanks, this will be overnight at the place I am staying and then when visiting downtown planning to park it in a garage for the day (probably until 5pm or so) before I head back. Will probably do this a few times in the month that I am there.

However, at the location that I am staying, in an Airbnb, it will be a apartment complex along with the rest of the gars in the parking lot.

So, i'm guessing the chances are pretty low if there is virtually nothing left in the car. Additionally I will leave the glove box open as well with nothing in it.

The big thing is that my stop in Denver is part of a bigger road trip that i'm doing and any crime against my car will be a huge issue with all my plans going forward.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:37 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
It's not even safe to park at the airport anymore. My coworker had her truck broken into in the economy lot at the airport just last month. They were trying to steal it and destroyed the ignition in the process... Statistically, though, no, you won't have your car broken into. But there's basically nowhere that is "safe" from risk at this point. Denver's crime problems are not exaggerated.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Raise your hand if you have lived in Denver over a decade and have never had a break in or car theft? I'm guessing that's something like 9 out of 10 of us.

This fear-based living really isn't good for you. Turn off your social media and news broadcasts, take a deep breath, and have a good time in Denver. Yeah "stuff" could happen to you but it probably won't.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:11 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Bring 2 cars. That way you will have one after the first is stolen.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:25 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
is there any spot in downtown Denver that is safe for me to park my car without the risk of break in? I don't mind staying further out and driving a bit.
I live near downtown. I park my car out on the street. In fact most of my neighbors park one of their cars on the street because we live in an older neighborhood with older houses and garages often too small for two cars. Haven't had any problems. As far as I know, neither have my neighbors.

You can stay in the suburbs (and have your car broken into there too) just know that you'll miss out on a lot of what Denver has to offer. It's your call, though.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:30 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Denver's crime problems are not exaggerated.
Actually, they are constantly. Check out the stats, do a little reading instead of repeating anecdotal evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver