U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM

345 posts, read 784,773 times

Advertisements

It's then

My husband bikes often and has not run into issues, but he mainly bikes on the paths.

Now my issues is this.... I am driving on a 55 MPH road and here is a bike almost smack in the road. He/she is not off to the right like they are suppose to be and they force me to brake hard and risk getting rear ended.
I will not honk at them, since I wonder if I might scare them and make them fall off right into the middle of the street. Some of them are wearing head phones and cannot hear a normal car/suv coming up behind them.
It is especially scary and annoying when they do this on hills. We cannot see them until we are almost on top of them. They are reckless with their safety. Why do we have to be at fault if they cannot pay attention to basic safety??

I really cannot stand when there is 3 or so of them and they are across almost the entire lane, in a 45 or higher MPH area and they are going all of 10-15 miles and do not move over until you are almost on top of them. Sometimes they barely move nad expect you to go aorund them by moving into the oncoming lane.

None of them are avoiding car doors being opened since none are parked on the streets I travel. It is lack of paying attention, music too loud or just plain inconsideration. Me I just wait till the lane on the other side is clear and I pass them, no gestures of honking I just leave them behind.

I have no issues with the ones who actually use their brains and follow the rules of the road. Bike, have fun but be careful and considerate.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-12-2011 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 10,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
It's then
Than is a comparison, then is a description of time.

Grammar Mishaps: Then vs. Than

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM

20 posts, read 35,676 times
Quote:
My husband bikes often and has not run into issues, but he mainly bikes on the paths.

Now my issues is this.... I am driving on a 55 MPH road and here is a bike almost smack in the road. He/she is not off to the right like they are suppose to be and they force me to brake hard and risk getting rear ended.
I will not honk at them, since I wonder if I might scare them and make them fall off right into the middle of the street. Some of them are wearing head phones and cannot hear a normal car/suv coming up behind them.
It is especially scary and annoying when they do this on hills. We cannot see them until we are almost on top of them. They are reckless with their safety. Why do we have to be at fault if they cannot pay attention to basic safety??

I really cannot stand when there is 3 or so of them and they are across almost the entire lane, in a 45 or higher MPH area and they are going all of 10-15 miles and do not move over until you are almost on top of them. Sometimes they barely move nad expect you to go aorund them by moving into the oncoming lane.

None of them are avoiding car doors being opened since none are parked on the streets I travel. It is lack of paying attention, music too loud or just plain inconsideration. Me I just wait till the lane on the other side is clear and I pass them, no gestures of honking I just leave them behind.

I have no issues with the ones who actually use their brains and follow the rules of the road. Bike, have fun but be careful and considerate.

Read more: Denver drivers / bicylists
These people are following the rules and they have as much right to the road as you do. The law requires you to give way to bikes and allows you to cross double yellow lines.

They should not be riding 3 abreast and are in my opinion wrong to wear headphones and I can't think of anywhere that I have ever ridden where the speed limit was 55 and I was on a bike but hey I appreciate your not honking.

Also, very often, especially on country roads you can't ride within the last 2-3 feet of the side of the lane because of the condition of the road. There might be glass or more likely it is just in terrible shape with lots of jagged or loose edges making it necessary to take up more of the lane.

I am not saying that you have no right to be frustrated, I get mad at morons on bikes when I am driving too, but more often than not I don't think bikers are *trying* to make you or me mad, we just are not seeing things from their perspective.

Quote:
Aggressive acceleration? You expect the cars too slow down to your speed to accommodate you?
Yes, or use another lane. The concept here is that you must share the road, everyone is entitled to it. Sometimes you get stuck behind slow cars and other times that might be bikes. It is not the end of the world.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM

12,268 posts, read 8,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
It's then

Car doors opening are the responsibility of the car driver. You are supposed to look in your mirror before opening to make sure nothing is in the way or coming at you.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM

5,752 posts, read 9,438,421 times
Both bicyclists and motorists need to chill. So someone causes you to slow down briefly. What is that, the end of the world? Be flexible. Learn how to deal with unforeseen circumstances.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,854,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Car doors opening are the responsibility of the car driver. You are supposed to look in your mirror before opening to make sure nothing is in the way or coming at you.
Wow, thats random. Nobody said otherwise. The poster said: "None of them are avoiding car doors being opened since none are parked on the streets I travel."

So your point is relevant, how?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 178,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
It's just the normal, passive aggressive behavior of the Denver area! There are so many bike/motor vehicle conflicts here because of general impatience, feeling of power, and perceptions of people who bike. A lot of drivers feel they can do something aggressive and stupid and then just speed off without repercussions!

I try to stick to bike trails that are not on streets or use side streets. The best thing is not to engage the driver with gestures, knocking on their window when you both reach a stoplight, or beating their car with your bike pump. I would just write down plate number and call the police, or even get some sort of helmet camera to record the passive aggressive behavior.
Great post... this hits it on the head. I got chased on my bike by a guy in an SUV recently. I yielded to the 3 way stop and he ran it forcing me on the wrong side of the road in the middle of a neighborhood (not a main street of any sort). He then made it his civil duty to yell at me to get on the correct side of the road - which I was clearly trying to do until he came busting at me. So I put up the bird, and I should've known better. He chased me for 2 blocks and by the time he got to me I was already on the phone with the cops and taking pictures of his license plate. Scary, scary, scary people. Be careful out there!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM

555 posts, read 1,036,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina23 View Post
Great post... this hits it on the head. I got chased on my bike by a guy in an SUV recently. I yielded to the 3 way stop and he ran it forcing me on the wrong side of the road in the middle of a neighborhood (not a main street of any sort). He then made it his civil duty to yell at me to get on the correct side of the road - which I was clearly trying to do until he came busting at me. So I put up the bird, and I should've known better. He chased me for 2 blocks and by the time he got to me I was already on the phone with the cops and taking pictures of his license plate. Scary, scary, scary people. Be careful out there!
did the cops take your complaint seriously? let us know if there are any consequences for this jacka**. that i would love to see.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,854,360 times
Quote:
I yielded to the 3 way stop
There is your first problem. You apparently don't understand the difference between a stop sign and a yield sign. You just admitted that it was you who ran the stop sign.

Quote:
yell at me to get on the correct side of the road - which I was clearly trying to do
There is your second problem. Trying does not = doing. You are admitting that you were on the wrong side of the road trying to get over to the right side of the road.

Quote:
So I put up the bird,
Nice, you run a stop sign while riding on the wrong side of the road, and then you have the nerve to flip off the driver, who pointed out your error. Sounds like you've got a classic case of bike road rage to me.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM

555 posts, read 1,036,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
There is your first problem. You apparently don't understand the difference between a stop sign and a yield sign. You just admitted that it was you who ran the stop sign.
it sounds like both parties ran the stop sign. the difference being that the biker rolled through an intersection when nobody was in it, while the SUV gunned it towards the biker which could be considered a form of assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or