Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,567 times

Advertisements

in somewhat of a different angle than most posters, i'm looking for pretty cheap neighborhoods for someone who doesn't make much money, but does spend a lot of time making artwork and writing. i've seen some interesting looking dives along Federal, specifically by Fed&Speer (if anyone has seen that dumpy place with the banner advertising studios), or up in Federal Heights. or even north Pecos though the 6 bus doesn't seem to travel up there much. was also considering the trailer parks up there, i'm not too afraid of creeps, being a creep myself. its usually the aggro pickup truck guys who are more of a problem (think Westminster) than the drunk-ass bums (west Alameda/Federal). i'v also considered along Alameda as well. i'm not exactly aiming for a meth-head paradise as parts of Lakewood's Colfax seem to be, but being from New York, i really don't mind some grime. to give a perspective, i don't mind "leaky" but i do mind "buggy". the Highlands plague seems to be spreading north (i sleep near Regis and its a mini-"life in a bubble" here) so i was thinking further north or west into Wheat Ridge or south into 6th/Alameda & Federal zone might be cheaper. if i felt like more of a hipster i would ask my rich parents to pay for a place in Baker, but unfortunately my rich parents aren't actually rich. and my goals arent too unique since i am sure most of the sinking middle class of Denver is looking for the same thing, somewhere cheap to sleep.

though i do spend most of my time being artsy-fartsy here in NW Denver i'd have to say that the cost of living in Colorado Springs & Pueblo are much more hospitable to a creative type. plus the races are more intermixed in Springs and there is not that "cliquish" (sp) feel you get here, which is probably a result of the military. unfortunately, though, CoSP backed out of the FREX bus because they were "concerned" about their locals who don't have normal bus service. its sure nice of them to suddenly be concerned after a few years of austerity cutbacks.

also amused me up here in NW some people on the bus (who were Hispanic origin) were mocking the bus driver (African origin) and said "he should take that s*** back to the east side". i guess that is the racial geography of denver, brown to the west and black to the east. though i did hear here and there about a high-ranking KKK(?) fellow who praised Arvada for its whiteness. that kinda stuff doesnt influence my thinking but it is interesting to hear while eavesdropping on the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
My sister in law rents a place in Five Points for around $700 a month.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
i don't know about specific rentals but river north (larimer high twenty's low thirty's) has the reputation you are looking for. lot's of arty people and warehouse space.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Take it easy on us 'aggro pickup truck guys'. We're the ones paying for your subsidized bus pass and artist space.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM

215 posts, read 771,695 times
Is River North the same area where the River North Brewery is located? I know that might sound a bit silly, but some places will contain the name of a location even though they're set up in a different area.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Is River North the same area where the River North Brewery is located? I know that might sound a bit silly, but some places will contain the name of a location even though they're set up in a different area.
Yes, it is the neighborhood north of downtown and east of Broadway. It is mostly commercial space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver