Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,211 times

Advertisements

Come June 2012 I will be graduated from college on the east coast. Ideally, I would be moving to CO around October. I am young, single and live a very active lifestyle. I am looking for a place that favors to young adults, with restaurants/bars, music, and lively culture. I am not a city girl, but I would like to be close enough where I can go to concerts and festivals. I will be moving out there alone without knowing a soul, so I want to be in a place where I will be surrounded by people my age.

Does such a place exist??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Denver.

I'll move this to that forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver.

I'll move this to that forum.
....But she said she wasn't a big city girl? Possibly other smaller towns in the front range, but if she's not a big city girl, Denver would be the last place I'd suggest. Granted, most other criteria she suggested would point to Denver.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
....Granted, most other criteria she suggested would point to Denver.
Exactly. IMO Denver is the only place in COLO that meets those criteria (young, single, very active lifestyle. .. favors young adults, restaurants/bars, music, and lively culture. ... close enough where I can go to concerts and festivals. .... a place where I will be surrounded by people my age).

Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Denver would not be considered a big city by east coast standards.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Denver would not be considered a big city by east coast standards.
I'm from the east coast. I know what you mean, but lets let her tell us what she thinks. For all we know she could be from a extremely rural area out east.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 12,211 times
Currently I live in the suburbs outside of Atlantic City, New Jersey; and I am also about 45 minutes from Philadelphia. I am hesitant to live directly in a city just from what I know of cities around where I live. I am really familiar with are Philadelphia and NYC; can anyone compare these to Denver? Is Denver more low key, safe, and clean then PHL and NYC?? I just don't want to live in a city where I feel like all I am surrounded by concrete, pollution, and angry people. Has anyone been to Burlington, Vermont?? That would be the best example of what I am looking for in CO.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:37 AM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times
Definitely Fort Collins & Boulder, maybe Golden (?) to be near nature and have the social scene you mention.

Littleton wouldn't give you the social scene at your doorstep but a walkable small-town downtown with easy access to downtown by light rail or Platte River trail, and "nature" nearby (Chatfield reservoir, highline canal trail)

Denver neighborhoods (Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park (maybe too urban/polluted if you're not a city girl), Washington Park, Platte Park, Confluence Park, Baker, Highlands, etc) - but you won't be near nature, you'll have to drive there.

How about Portland, OR, Seattle, Pittsburgh or some other cities back east? Medium-sized city with nature at your doorstep.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
The best place to move after graduating college is the place where you can find a job. Within Colorado, the place where you'd have the best shot at that is Denver, although no guarantees anywhere.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenEKay View Post
Currently I live in the suburbs outside of Atlantic City, New Jersey; and I am also about 45 minutes from Philadelphia. I am hesitant to live directly in a city just from what I know of cities around where I live. I am really familiar with are Philadelphia and NYC; can anyone compare these to Denver? Is Denver more low key, safe, and clean then PHL and NYC?? I just don't want to live in a city where I feel like all I am surrounded by concrete, pollution, and angry people. Has anyone been to Burlington, Vermont?? That would be the best example of what I am looking for in CO.
Aha! Denver is NOT like those big eastern cities; being from Baltimore and having worked in the DC area for 30+ years, I feel fully qualified to make that statement. In Denver, you will have a fair amount of concrete, but little real pollution and almost no angry sorts. There is only a very small area of Denver that is minimally sketchy. I can tell you from real life experience that there are no sprawling, blighted areas in Denver like you see in Baltimore, DC, Philly, East St Louis, southside Chicago, etc. In short, there is really nothing here to fear the way people fear violence back east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver