U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 PM

98 posts, read 302,087 times
Red face Crime around Aurora Mall and Ridge Hill apartments?

Hi there - I have been posting over the last couple of weeks and have found a few apartments by my husband's school which seemed nice enough on paper - however the main one we were looking at is on Mississippi and Blackhawk near Aurora mall.

We have a 7 year old and would like to be in a safe area - although since we are just moving in the area it doesn't have to be the NICEST side of town.

As I was saying the apartments on paper look good, but have been told the area is thug haven.

The apartments we are looking into are called Ridge Hill.

Can anyone give me some advice about the complex or the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 AM

40 posts, read 155,611 times
Hi Mom,

I lived in the southern part of Aurora most of my life and remember spending time at Aurora Mall was part of growing up...pretty sad how cities change. After highschool, I moved into the Brentwood apartments off Mississippi and 225 (Across from U Hills Middle school I think) and that was a pretty seedy area I thought at the time but it was mine and my parents werent there so, I was happy!! There were DEA agents visiting next door probably 2x a month (we found out the neighbors were known gang members after we moved out). I believe the apartments at Mississippi and Sable were Section 8 at one point.

Before I moved to Hawaii, I lived at Hampden and Chambers in the Timbers townhouses. Decent area (at the time - dont know how it is now) and always felt safe. I know there are the Sunflower apartments off Parker and Hampden. If I had the opportunity to move back to Aurora, I dont think i would move any further north than Iliff.

I do think Aurora gets a bad rap sometimes but thats only because there truly are areas there that are less safe than others but you just have to be careful where ever you are.

Hope this helped!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,201 times
I would recommend going a little farther south. Mississippi isn't as bad as Colfax, but there is no way that I would live up there with my kids. And I lived over in little Mexico Lakewood before and I would rather live in Lakewood. We are located around Quincy and Chambers and I love the area, it is still close enough that we go up to Mississippi for my daughter's preschool. So my recommendation to someone with Children, go a little farther south

Old 10-31-2007, 02:03 PM

33 posts, read 59,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesr5 View Post
I would recommend going a little farther south. Mississippi isn't as bad as Colfax, but there is no way that I would live up there with my kids. And I lived over in little Mexico Lakewood before and I would rather live in Lakewood. We are located around Quincy and Chambers and I love the area, it is still close enough that we go up to Mississippi for my daughter's preschool. So my recommendation to someone with Children, go a little farther south
I agree with Kate, I think Lakewood is better/safer than
certain parts of Aurora, and that West Colfax is usually
better than East Colfax. (I think that the dangerous
section of Aurora that you guys are talking about is
probably the same area, or near it, where I used to
get scared waiting for the bus on East Colfax. I wouldn't
be surprised if it was better/nicer twenty/thirty years ago
...but yes, some parts of it have become pretty seedy.)
(If you go WAY out east in Aurora, you can find places
where you are still in Aurora, and you are still only about
15 or 20 minutes by car from downtown Denver, but it's
a MUCH quieter area. I'm talking about out near the air
force base, you can find that on a map. But it might be
more expensive out that way.)

Best of luck with everything! ^_^

=^___^=

Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 PM

17 posts, read 35,985 times
I live pretty close to those apartments and they are not bad. Several of my friends live there and I used to hang out over there. I think people here are exagerating because Aurora is definitely not a bad place to live in. Obviously there is some crime but there is definitely worse places to live in like Colfax. You have nothing to worry about, in my opinion. I live on Arizona and Buckley so it's a couple minutes away and I know what this area is like, yes there is some crime around here but not enough to make you run away. LoL

Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 AM

We've been here for about 2 months - and have had no problems (so far). The area's ok actually. I have no worries about walking around or fear of anything. I am finding the more I move east (we origanally started in California) the idea of crime rates are less and less what I expect. I haven't really found any area in the Denver area that scares me - but i do agree down by Colfax it is seedy - but still nothing compared to the bad areas outside of LA.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 11,761,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzilla View Post
We've been here for about 2 months - and have had no problems (so far). The area's ok actually. I have no worries about walking around or fear of anything. I am finding the more I move east (we origanally started in California) the idea of crime rates are less and less what I expect. I haven't really found any area in the Denver area that scares me - but i do agree down by Colfax it is seedy - but still nothing compared to the bad areas outside of LA.
The "bad" parts of Denver are really not bad compared to other cities.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,229,626 times
I like to see some pictures of Colfax area. I like to see what people are scared of. Can anyone here snap pics of the area?

I mean is it like this:

* Drug dealers are ever corner?
* Everyone that's walking around sagging their pants and hholding their private parts like its too big?
* Homeless pushing Wal-Mart carts all over the streets
* Cars on side of the street w/ bricks under it? (like someone stole the rims off)
* Beggars / bums knocking on yout car window or door asking for money.

===> Man, I wish I got to drive down Colfax when I visited my parents out in Aurora. I just don't think its bad as it seems.
I mean yea, I would not be rolling in a new car like BMW or Lexus w/ chrome custom rims, but really... come'on.. that bad??

ok. I googled colfax+denver. Is this a ruff area:

E. Colfax Ave.

Note: I see lot's of artwork / spray paint on Colfax, but nothing that be trigger scared about. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Crime around Aurora Mall and Ridge Hill apartments?-colfax.jpg  

Last edited by Mike78613; 11-26-2007 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM

This is an old post, but I thought I would update since I have lived here a while.

1) Since living here we have witnessed more crime than everywhere else we have lived - and we've lived in both Los Angeles AND Las Vegas.

Twice while driving down Colfax we were stopped by the police who were doing random drug checks. Ya, you know like how in other states they do alcohol testing? Kind of like that, but this time for methanphetamines or pot. Weird.

Jan 2009 my husband's scooter was stolen. Seriously... who steals a moped in the dead of a Colorado winter?

2 weeks ago walking home from work my husband was jumped. 10 guys beat him down, stole his wallet, and then continued to kick him (mainly in the head) until someone called the cops.

2) We live in a suburban part of Aurora but 3 times now in the last 4 months we have been stopped on the street while walking to the bus and offered both "coke" and "weed". Two of those times my 8 yr old son was with me.

Now I am not going to bash Aurora and say it is all bad. It's not as bad as say Compton... but it's pretty bad. It's a different kind of bad. I am happy to say we will be moving shortly. The guys that jumped my husband seem to have an eye on him - but since our car was stolen too... we don't have any other option than taking the bus.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 PM

569 posts, read 1,566,082 times
I grew up in Aurora and watched the neighborhood I grew up in move from a family-friendly area to one riddled w/ vacant houses, higher crime, and no families left. No Aurora is no Compton or Chicago's south side, but that part of Aurora is not a particularly safe area. One interesting thing to note is that Aurora's crime rates are actually higher than what is officially reported...both times our cars were broken into the police refused to let us file a police report.

6-7 years ago before they attempted to change the Aurora Mall it was a gang hang-out with 3 or 4 shootings happening within a year maybe.

I know everyone says "oh Aurora's not that bad..." but the parts that people cite as being okay aren't even really considered part of Aurora. From someone that spent 18 years in Aurora....Aurora is a suburban waste-land. I would chop off my left arm before ever living there willing. The only reason my family hasn't ran like hell is because the house would never sell now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver