U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,722,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are coming from the Black Hills in SD for the weekend over Labor Day. It has been YEARS since I have been to CO, and I am so excited!

Our agenda includes a trip to Water World (if the weather cooperates), a trip to the zoo, and some time at one of the outlet malls (any recommendations as to which is better?). We might also check out the Aquarium (has anyone eaten there?), and the Broker for meals, but I am open to other suggestions, both for attractions and restaurants.

My biggest concern is where to stay. We want to keep it between $75 and $100 per night, and orbitz and priceline seem to have a number of places in several locations that fit the bill...I just don't want to wind up in a less-than-safe neighborhood, or in someplace WAY off the beaten track for where we want to be.

I would appreciate any help you could offer! My husband has never been to CO, so I am hoping to use this to entice him into a longer trip next year!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,035,643 times
I'm sorry I don't have any advice on where to stay, but The Taste of Colorado is that weekend, could solve some dining issues. A Taste of Colorado - Community Festival, Free Admission, Labor Day Weekend, Downtown Denver, Civic Center Park

Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM

521 posts, read 719,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Hi everyone! We are coming from the Black Hills in SD for the weekend over Labor Day. It has been YEARS since I have been to CO, and I am so excited!

Our agenda includes a trip to Water World (if the weather cooperates), a trip to the zoo, and some time at one of the outlet malls (any recommendations as to which is better?). We might also check out the Aquarium (has anyone eaten there?), and the Broker for meals, but I am open to other suggestions, both for attractions and restaurants.

My biggest concern is where to stay. We want to keep it between $75 and $100 per night, and orbitz and priceline seem to have a number of places in several locations that fit the bill...I just don't want to wind up in a less-than-safe neighborhood, or in someplace WAY off the beaten track for where we want to be.

I would appreciate any help you could offer! My husband has never been to CO, so I am hoping to use this to entice him into a longer trip next year!

Hi there! Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned!

Water World is about 15-20 minutes N-NW of Denver depending on the traffic and the zoo and the best outlet mall (Cherry Creek) are both about 10 minutes from Denver as well. The Aquarium is basically in downtown and has decent food. I used to be a waiter there and can attest it's not bad for a seafood place in Colorado. The exhibits aren't bad if you can swing admission for the family.

There isn't any exceptionally crazy places to avoid staying at that price range. Orbit's and Priceline's user reviews are usually spot on so you could glean some info from there. If you have anymore specific questions don't be afraid to ask.

Hope your trip turns out well.

EDIT: The Taste of Colorado is an absolutely spectacular event and should definately be checked out. That said, it's extremely pricey for a very little bit of food. $5 for five tickets and most entree portion sizes are between seven and 12 tickets. It's mainly for people to spend $10-$15 and get to try a lot of small samples from many different restaurants from around Colorado. Samples are between two and five tickets.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,345,041 times
Re: eating at the Aquarium,

go to the Burger King on Colfax/Kalamath instead. I promise you will have a better or equal experience (we would have).

Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM

521 posts, read 719,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Re: eating at the Aquarium,

go to the Burger King on Colfax/Kalamath instead. I promise you will have a better or equal experience (we would have).
I waited there in '08 when it was a three and a half star restaurant. Then they changed the decor, the menu, and the prices and it became a one and a half star place.

We would regularly pull in $200 a night and they close at 9pm! After the changes we'd be lucky to earn more than $50 a night.

Needless to say no one stayed long.

That said, I have heard they have improved in the last year under new management (third in as many years).

Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 PM

13,965 posts, read 20,238,281 times
Quote:
the Aquarium (has anyone eaten there?)
Do not eat there.
See Aquarium Restaurant - Northwest - Denver, CO

So many better places to eat in Denver.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 AM

182 posts, read 280,878 times
Well if you want to stay downtown it looks like the Hyatt Regency Convention Center location has rates for around $89/night over LD weekend. It would be close to light rail and pretty easy to walk to 16th street mall and other spots in the downtown area. Marriott City Center also has a deluxe room for $109/night (both found on expedia).

You could do plenty of walking around the city and it's reasonably safe, only issue would be that they seem to have a ton of road construction all over down there right now. It took awhile to get around after we got out of a Rockies game the other day and that weekend you will have added traffic because of Taste of Colorado and other events.

Taste of Colorado can be fun and has some tasty vendors but it can be expensive and if you have the slightest problem with packed crowds it may not be for you. You buy tickets to try "tastes" and/or larger plates of food from all different varieties of restaurants around the Denver Metro area. They also have some carnival rides, live entertainment and arts/crafts for sale and it's located in between the Capitol Building and City & State Building. If you like Baseball, Coors field can be fun to visit and the tickets are pretty cheap (home games on 9/5 and 9/6 only though).

Water World would be a good choice if our weather remains the same as it had for about the last 6 weeks. We've had temps in the mid to high 90's and little rain. Zoo would be nice but because it's so hot I would go as soon as it opens at 9AM. The Aquarium is nice but I've eaten a couple times at the restaurant and it's never been really great. They did a good job with their remodel but I think you can have a better meal elsewhere, check out reviews on Yelp.com

There is an Outlet mall in Castle Rock which is about 20-25 minutes south of Denver if you have good traffic on I-25. I rarely go to any of the outlet malls so I can't really say what's "better" but you could also stop at Park Meadows Mall which is along the way in Lone Tree and they just opened an IKEA if that interests you. You could stay other places but I think if you want to have fun in CO I would stay in downtown Denver if you can get those rates. More fun vibe, central to the other places you want to visit and lots of restaurants and things to do down there.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,620,369 times
I'd stay either downtown, like at the Sheraton or the Hyatt, or maybe Cherry Creek North, if you can get a decent rate at one of those hotels.

As far as outlet malls go, I've noticed that they don't seem to have great prices. I'd probably skip the outlets in Castle Rock.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
and the Broker for meals
Avoid the Broker.
See The Broker Restaraunt - Northwest - Denver, CO

Use Yelp to find restaurants nearby your hotel.
Denver has literally 100s that are better than the Broker.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Default Hotels to consider

Residence Inn by Marriott
2777 Zuni Street
Denver, CO 80211

Hampton Inn & Suites
2728 Zuni St
Denver, CO 80211

Oxford Hotel
1600 17th St
Denver, CO 80202
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver