U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM

203 posts, read 325,647 times

Advertisements

Denver mayor, Colorado governor ponder run at '22 Olympics - The Denver Post

Quote:
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and Gov. John Hickenlooper are starting to mull a possible bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM

11,178 posts, read 12,802,180 times
I think Denver and Colorado needs to do this! It would put Denver on the World stage and cause me to actually look forward to one winter lol!

The negatives I hear are that it would cost the taxpayers. Do they factor in how much money the city and state would earn due to all the increased economic activity? Maybe we could build some iconic structure downtown for it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM

517 posts, read 360,143 times
Denver turned down the Olympics in 1976 after putting in a bid and ultimately winning the bid to host. The people of Colorado rejected a vote to raise the taxes that would be needed to bring them to the state.

Since then I've heard that Denver will never get awarded another bid as long the same people comprise the IOC that was there in '76.

I hope what I hear is wrong but simply looking at how much of a cluster fuzzy I-70 is in the winter I feel that the IOC would look at our standing and be impressed with everything except how to move all the athletes up the mountain.

It all comes down to how bitter the IOC is going to be that we asked for the games then turned them down when finally awarded them in the past.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM

11,178 posts, read 12,802,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Denver turned down the Olympics in 1976 after putting in a bid and ultimately winning the bid to host. The people of Colorado rejected a vote to raise the taxes that would be needed to bring them to the state.

Since then I've heard that Denver will never get awarded another bid as long the same people comprise the IOC that was there in '76.

I hope what I hear is wrong but simply looking at how much of a cluster fuzzy I-70 is in the winter I feel that the IOC would look at our standing and be impressed with everything except how to move all the athletes up the mountain.

It all comes down to how bitter the IOC is going to be that we asked for the games then turned them down when finally awarded them in the past.
That was 35 years ago. Shouldn't they be dead by now?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM

517 posts, read 360,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That was 35 years ago. Shouldn't they be dead by now?

We can only hope.

I see nothing that could be bad about bringing either of the olympics to town. Just off the top of my head I feel like we could do a better job with hosting the summer games but with some logistical concerns being overcome it would be just as easy hosting the winter games as well (and possibly more profitable for the state).

Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM

4,674 posts, read 3,425,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

Yep thats the word, from quite a few sources. Denver is on a permanent blacklist of cities that will never, ever get to hold the Winter Olympics.

Coloradans can thank former Governor Gloom for that one. You just don't snub the International Olympic Committee, without very serious repercussions.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 4,383,316 times
I doubt they really care now. Olympics now are a different "ballgame" with the corporate sponsorship and level of attendance. Used to be given to small town ski resorts, now its mostly going to be fairly large cities with big infrastructure. So a perfect match for Denver. If the city doesn't get the vote it won't be about 1976, it will be about current animosity to the US as was seen in the Chicago 2016 bid and the US 2022 World Cup bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver