U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,712,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It's not a question of preserving the Great Hall. The question is why are they throwing the train passengers out of it after a 130 years to turn to turn it into a hipster hotel? And how does spending $17 million to turn the Great Hall into a "boutique" hotel promote public transit? Which is what RTD is supposed to be doing.

Second, its questionable how much they really want to preserve anything. As you know full well, they have already demolished the historic tunnels under the tracks. Which could have continued to take passengers to at least ten different platforms to board that many trains.

Once they get done ripping out the hundred year old ticket counters, and replacing them with a hotel front desk, and a bar, and take out the benches and replace them with lobby and bar furniture it's sure not going to be the same place anyone familiar with it now, would recognize.

Denver Union Station: Farewell to the tunnel - YouTube
I'm sorry...I think you're trolling. Nothing I have read indicates that the great hall will be in any way displaced as part of the hotel proposal. In fact, I have read everything to the contrary under the current proposals which intend to preserve the great hall in conjunction with the massive canopy like structure that will cover the trains. Until you can cite me specific sources that show that is in the plans, I am unlikely to believe otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 AM

12,273 posts, read 15,146,666 times
I find it amazing that Denver still has a decent Union Station compared to many cities that lost most of their train service. In fact, many that still have service laid waste to their great stations. Don't let it happen to Denver.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,852,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I'm sorry...I think you're trolling. Nothing I have read indicates that the great hall will be in any way displaced as part of the hotel proposal. In fact, I have read everything to the contrary under the current proposals which intend to preserve the great hall in conjunction with the massive canopy like structure that will cover the trains. Until you can cite me specific sources that show that is in the plans, I am unlikely to believe otherwise.
Here. Don't let the "transit waiting" fool you. Nobody is going to wait for an Amtrak train in front of the hotel desk. They are going to wait for it in the Train Hall in front of the Amtrak ticket counter. Because that is where all the train announcements will be made from. If any actually do try to wait in front of hotel desk they will have lots of security guards, to show them the way to the Train Hall.

The Train Hall will be a boring box area, with long rows of plastic bucket seats. Because thats the way they build them these days. 99% of Amtrak passengers will never see the Great Hall. So will deprived of the experience. But at least the hipsters who stay in the new "boutique" hotel will be able to enjoy it.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,521,222 times
Union Station is a project that will encompass the current transportation needs of today and have the ability to change to the transportation needs of tomorrow. The more current needs are more local public transits and other amenities that will make better use of this building.

Most of us, who are aware, that Passenger Train Service has declined in the United States. Amtrak today only operates one train through Denver, The Denver Zephyr. This train runs from Chicago to San Francisco and it makes one stop in the morning going west, about 7 am and one stop, going east about 7 pm. That is all.

Union Station was built for much more traffic and the hall's capacity is far above the need for Amtrak. So today, the plans are to make use of that empty space and use Union Station, more efficiently. It is a narrow myopic view and lacks local knowledge of the situation, to continue to berate Denver's planning, which takes in current needs and requirements, and to continue to advocate the space to be less utilized.

When passenger service increases and returns, possibly with the new initiatives to further invest in that service, then Union Station will adapt to that situation. However, that is many years away, if it actually happens.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-07-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 03:08 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,521,222 times
I want to add something to my previous post. It is expressed by some that Amtrak wants and needs more space which is wrong. They have only one train and they do not need a big waiting room. They do not need the big ticket booth, anymore, as there is only one train. So, they do not want or need more room.

Why do they not want more room? Because they have to lease the space. They do own Union Station and with a revenues and funding problems, they certainly do not want to lease more than they need. The Union Station Authority under the State of Colorado now controls the station and the State wants to use the hall for better amenities which will generate revenue and sales tax; also Amtrak does not want the space.

In all the years, I have lived here and been to Union Station, the great hall was always empty. I have taken the Zephyr and very few people got on and arrived just before the train departed--so they really did not need a waiting room. The people who got off left immediately, they did not need a waiting room. At that time, there was another train and the ski train. The other train, ceased stopping here, years ago, and the ski train ceased operations last year. Also, the ticket counter was closed, everytime I went there. This is not Grand Central Station that has still in viable and functioning.

Those are the reasons Amtrak is given a very small space--because that is all they need and want. This has all been agreed and discussed, a time ago. There is no debate or arguments needed, or wanted by anybody involved.

So do you think we should give Amtrak the huge hall, for their one train with two stops a day, and a big ticket counter so a train enthusiast can run around with a Casey Jones cap, blowing his whistle, pointing, yelling: "da, train, da train"...ahh, two times a day.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-07-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or