Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,749,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's more than planned, it's under construction. I don't understand why it takes so long though. I think four years to complete, and I thought it used existing rail lines? I doubt if it took one year to complete Pena Blvd!
Electrified commuter Rail lines take a few years more then Diesel lines , but thats due to the Substations needed , Catenary and special signals and rolling stock which takes a year to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,345,418 times
For the people who will never use Public transit and feel you will get no benefit--you are wrong:

Public transit takes off the roads, many of the elderly who should not longer drive--that makes your driving safer; and when you become elderly, who will drive you...

Public transit takes more people off the highways--that gives you less traffic congestions for your driving. If you do not believe it--see what happens when there is a transit strike.

Public transit provides a means for your children to get back and forth to activities without you driving them everywhere plus helps keep them out of cars of new young drivers who take risks.

Public transit gives mobilitiy access to the disabled, which you may become.

Public transit improves the quality of the environment--of course you may not care.

Public transit provides more parking spaces because there are less cars, so there is more for you.

Public transit gives you something to complaint about because you need to oppose anything that threatens your love of a car.

Public transit gives you advantage in buying a new car because people who use public transit buy new cars less often; there will be less demand. So you will be viewed as special and the car salesmen will slobber over you with more attention and a lower price.

Public transit feathers your ego and allows you to feel sorry for those waiting at a bus stop.

Public transit gives you the opportunity to pay for High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) access on the highway. HOV lanes are a part of Public Transit, mainly for buses; but will allow those with the money to get a faster ride and gives you bragging rights as you look at the poor slobs caught in traffic. However, I think you need a Lexus for the "Lexus Lanes" to really feel important.

Public transit buses gives you the opportunity to rage when you are caught behind one; or would you prefer to be stuck behind an elderly man, wearing a fedora, driving real slow with his turn blinkers on because it is his only means to get around.

And you thought you got no benefit.

Livecontent

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM

431 posts, read 978,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Can't tell from your post if you know:

The AA sky ride route to DIA travels along 104th ave (just several blocks north of Thornton Pkwy-not so far).

There is no rail service to DIA from anywhere - that line is planned, not built yet.

I actually found this out yesterday while looking for bus service to the ski resorts (which doesn't exist except to Eldora). Thanks. I'll just have to find a way up to 104th.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,967,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
I actually found this out yesterday while looking for bus service to the ski resorts (which doesn't exist except to Eldora). Thanks. I'll just have to find a way up to 104th.
Looks to me like your options might be RTD routes 12, 88, or 92 to get to 104th. RTD does have an online route map that you can check to plan a route. Also consider just taking a taxicab to 104th & Washington to catch the SkyRide bus. That should be only a one or two mile cab ride for you. Which really shouldn't be very expensive.

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/SystemMap/

Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM

431 posts, read 978,771 times
^^ Yeah, a cab looks like the best since there are no stops anywhere near me.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,787,719 times
Not exactly part of Fast Tracs but it will certainly be a beautiful anchor whom ever get's the bid.
For those one or two people who haven't heard yet.. Developers present two views of future for Denver Union Station - The Denver Post

Personally I am in strong favor of the market idea...Downtown dwellers know it's more than high time for one. The failed Piazza project over in Ball Park was supposed to have a Whole Foods or equivelent..no such luck. Vitamin Cottage in the Platte Valley really doesn't cut it...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times
Long overdue with union station there, hopefully something gets done.

What's more amazing is the comments section of that article. People actually post productive comments in the post? I'm used the the KC star and nothing but suburban people hating everything about the city. You put this in the kc star about KC's union station and you would get nothing but snide remarks about how much a waste of money it would be, crime and thug references, how corrupt the city is etc. They drown out the people that actually want to see stuff like this happen.

Sorry off topic, but I just really like the way most of Denver acts and interacts. There seems to be a civic pride factor there.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,345,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Not exactly part of Fast Tracs but it will certainly be a beautiful anchor whom ever get's the bid.
For those one or two people who haven't heard yet.. Developers present two views of future for Denver Union Station - The Denver Post

Personally I am in strong favor of the market idea...Downtown dwellers know it's more than high time for one. The failed Piazza project over in Ball Park was supposed to have a Whole Foods or equivelent..no such luck. Vitamin Cottage in the Platte Valley really doesn't cut it...
Good Post and article. I am also in favor of the market idea. It would look great in that building. Also, it would bring back more what the area was historically about with "Market" Street and Denargo "Market".

The Platte Valley needs a grocery. In addition, to the "Union Station Market", I would like to see a more economical, basic and full line grocery like King Sooopers. To make it a complete living environment, the area needs stores with essentials like Walmart or a Target, and a good basic hardware store like a small form Home Depot or an Ace. Overpriced and exclusive stores are nice but do not well serve a broader residential base with necessities of daily living.

Livecontent

Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM

975 posts, read 1,316,901 times
^There is a full-size (38,000 sq ft) grocery store planned for the CPV behind Union Station. It will be located at 19th and Chestnut and will have 300-plus apartments above it. There are also at least two other large format (20,000 sq ft plus) retail slots being planned for directly behind Union Station along Wewatta.

As for the market proposal for Union Station, it just seems too small to be a real market at less than 10,000 sq ft. I want a proper public market DT and this doesn't seem like it will work.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,787,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^There is a full-size (38,000 sq ft) grocery store planned for the CPV behind Union Station. It will be located at 19th and Chestnut and will have 300-plus apartments above it. There are also at least two other large format (20,000 sq ft plus) retail slots being planned for directly behind Union Station along Wewatta.

As for the market proposal for Union Station, it just seems too small to be a real market at less than 10,000 sq ft. I want a proper public market DT and this doesn't seem like it will work.
They have talking about that project at 19th and Chestnut( one of Dana Crawford's brainchild projects) since 2002..so far I have not seen any evidence of them pulling the trigger on that. All those people who bought lofts Like Kerouac, Water Tower Ect. have been anxiously waiting. Hope it actually happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver