U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 13,463 times

Advertisements

Hi
I will move to Denver in October as expat from Italy. I will have an 60k year gross income. I will come over with my wife who at the beginning won't work, but she will be allowed to find a job. She has an bachelor degree in public relation and she had some experience in the field back here in Italy.
No kids or dogs :-)
The salary would be aceptable to live?
We are used to ski 1/2 days in the weekend during winter season, one week ski vacation on Christmas time and we normally have a two weeks backpacking vacation in the summer.
We do not look for high end accommodation, normally we accept budget accommodation and we do not eat out too often (1/2 times a week)

She will have to find a job to keep this lifestyle? How is the job market in Denver?
tnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 AM

No one can help me? Thanks
marco

Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM

399 posts, read 689,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainequipment View Post
No one can help me? Thanks
marco
Hello Marco!

Sorry, a lot of people just go to threads that are popular or claim their interest. They get a lot of threads like these. I'd be happy to help you though.

The job market, like some places, depends on what field you go into. Since your wife is in public relations maybe she could work in the human resources department of many different companies or fields (medical, government, legal, etc.) It depends on her past experience. I'm not really familiar with what people can do with a Bachelor's in Public Relations.

Yes, the salary is acceptable to live in Colorado. $60,000 gross annual salary from one person is considered good by my standards and I'm sure by most people in Colorado. With your wife's income, you will be able to live reasonable well within your desires. Colorado gets a lot of tourists coming to the ski resorts and the traffic is kind of bad. Colorado has been working on increasing the road dynamics to lower the traffic congestion because it gets worse with each year (so many people, so little roads). I have no idea how costly it gets up at the ski resorts if you stay there or if you drive up there. I rarely go skiing that frequently but it is expensive depending on the resort you go to. I've been to Vail, Winterpark, Loveland, Eldora, and some other smaller skiing places ever since I was a child. I stopped going as the economy got worse because my biological family wanted other kinds of vacation trips.

I'm not sure if you've found a house or an apartment but please look at the prices before coming so that you can plan your budget accordingly. With $60,000, you can definitely find a GOOD apartment by ANY standard. Lol, I'm kind of jealous because with almost $4,000 a month (take-home) with a $60k annual gross income you could find a good apartment anywhere on the front range of Colorado. Where are you going to be moving in Colorado? Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs? If you tell us we can give you a better sense of how good and where to look. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? A family orientated neighborhood for future purposes? Or just a calm, young adult community with recent working college graduates?

Boulder a nice city to live in with VERY close proximity to the mountains without actually living in the mountains. Denver is also another place to live in that is nice with easy access to the highways leading into the mountains. Lol, I get excited just thinking about all of the places you could live in with just your salary yourself without adding your wive's salary. ;D And the close proximity to the mountains with monthly trips to skiing. It sounds like so much fun and it sounds so doable too!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Thank you for your reply!
No, I did not find an house yet, but I started to look around through craiglist and padmapper and I downloaded the neighborhood map of the city to start to figure out where to look at. I will stay for the first month in a corporate apartment, so I will have the time to look around on detail once I will move in.

My office will be in 17th St, which looks like quite down town city (at least on googlemaps, lol) but I work as consultant and I will travel a lot in the state and out of state.

We do not plan any kids at the moment (we feel too young, just turned 30, lol) and, by the way, my commitment in Denver is for just 18 months (maximum 2 years):
We are looking for a young adult community at a bike ride distance from services, public transport and green area. We both love outdoor activities in winter (ski touring and alpine ski) and summer (trekking and climbing, and sometimes, mountain bike) so an easy access to the highway outside the city would be a plus.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,650,002 times
Obviously we don't know your whole financial situtation, but yeah, your salary will be fine in Denver.

I would not take a ski vacation around Christmas if I were you, especially since you'll already be living in Colorado. It's the most overcrowded and overpriced time of the year. Take your vacation some time in January or February after all the tourists have gone home.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Obviously we don't know your whole financial situtation, but yeah, your salary will be fine in Denver.

I would not take a ski vacation around Christmas if I were you, especially since you'll already be living in Colorado. It's the most overcrowded and overpriced time of the year. Take your vacation some time in January or February after all the tourists have gone home.
Okay, thanks for the tips about skiing. I will dig more in the past threads about this topic in the next days before ask more question about skiing.

About my financial situation consider I have to live with that with just a minimum saving (3-400 usd a month I would hope). Which neighborhood would you suggest to look for an apartment? What about furnished apartments? I do not know the US house market, but at a glance, furnished apartments are not really common to find.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the tips about skiing. I will dig more in the past threads about this topic in the next days before ask more question about skiing.

About my financial situation consider I have to live with that with just a minimum saving (3-400 usd a month I would hope). Which neighborhood would you suggest to look for an apartment? What about furnished apartments? I do not know the US house market, but at a glance, furnished apartments are not really common to find.
Yeah, furnished apartments is kind of a luxury thing and isn't very common with the lower brackets of the pay range for apartments. And besides, when you go down lower, the quality is shifty on the furniture and will have a history. Different families will have different lifestyles so I think it's better in the long run to have your own furniture that you can move from apartment to apartment with some mover help here and there. The stuff they buy for the apartment goes with the apartment and stays with the apartment. Which means that if it's a family with smelly animals or certain food cooked throughout, spilled on, and ate with, it's going to hold those smells for a while. This is especially true for smokers (yuck!) and incense (like for Asian familes) of any kind.

There is an IKEA that recently opened in Centennial, Colorado and there are a lot of other furniture stores around the Boulder county area that may fit your specific furniture needs. ;D Sorry, I haven't seen enough Italian furniture to know what you might want from an American store.

Try to use apartments.com and apartmentguide.com. Apartmentratings.com sometimes has the apartments and sometimes they don't have anything on that specific apartment complex. I really can't name any off the top of my head or a quick search that I would recommend. Renters themselves have to weight the costs between the pros and cons of the reviews and location besides what's included in and around the apartment.

Before that 18 month job is up, you'll get a better idea of where to move when you find another job. Denver's outgoing and incoming traffic will be a big decision maker between where you work and where you live. Here's a start for Denver apartments: http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...-104.984900%29

Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM

The problem is that after 18 months in Denver I will move back in Italy for the same corporation, Denver is just a temporary assignment on my current job. For that reason I was looking for a furnished apt, otherwise I will have to sell all the furniture bought.

Any suggestion about neighborhoods to look for?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The problem is that after 18 months in Denver I will move back in Italy for the same corporation, Denver is just a temporary assignment on my current job. For that reason I was looking for a furnished apt, otherwise I will have to sell all the furniture bought.

Any suggestion about neighborhoods to look for?
OH! I see! Okay, how about these apartments? Denver Apartments for Rent - Denver, CO - Furnished Available-within 25 miles on ApartmentGuide.com

I've heard some good things about AMLI at Lowry Estates, Lugano Cherry Creek, and Solera. Of course, you will read more negative reviews than positive reviews sometimes because it's obviously something people speak up about; More people will speak up when something bad happens. It's rare when someone speaks up for something good that happened at apartments they appreciated. ;D A lot of people don't appreciate the good things that happen and thus it isn't written of.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,650,002 times
Quote:

What part of town are you working in? Are you going to have a car? Do you want urban or suburban environment?

There are furniture rental services, such as Cort, to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or