U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,726 times
Default DC to Denver in moving truck - route advice?

I'm moving from DC to Denver the first week of October, and will be driving a 22' moving truck, with a car in tow. Any advice on the easiest route to take? This will be my first time with a truck this size, or towing a car (my brother has plenty of trucking experience though so not worried about getting stuck). But we'd love to save gas money, and hopefully take it easier on the cargo, by picking the route with the best combination of fewer miles and fewer hills/curves.

Googlemaps recommends heading north to I-80 and then across. But it looks like we could also go straight across I-70, or take I-64 to I-70 in St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 AM

754 posts, read 1,332,992 times
I moved from Phila a few years ago and I-80 was recommended. More services, higher speed limits in a few states, etc. Do a forum search with I-70 and I-80 as keywords and you should find previous discussions.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM

68,252 posts, read 56,586,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post
I'm moving from DC to Denver the first week of October, and will be driving a 22' moving truck, with a car in tow. Any advice on the easiest route to take? This will be my first time with a truck this size, or towing a car (my brother has plenty of trucking experience though so not worried about getting stuck). But we'd love to save gas money, and hopefully take it easier on the cargo, by picking the route with the best combination of fewer miles and fewer hills/curves.

Googlemaps recommends heading north to I-80 and then across. But it looks like we could also go straight across I-70, or take I-64 to I-70 in St. Louis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I moved from Phila a few years ago and I-80 was recommended. More services, higher speed limits in a few states, etc. Do a forum search with I-70 and I-80 as keywords and you should find previous discussions.
You might consider this:

I-70 to Indianapolis. Then get on I-74 to the Quad Cities (Rock Island and Moline Illinois/Davenport and Bettendorf Iowa). At that point, take I-80. You have the advantages of I-80 (I definitely agree with the higher speed limits and better services on I-80) w/o the disadvantages of traveling through a lot of congestion in the Cleveland-Chicago corridor. Don't worry about the hills; there aren't many past Pittsburgh.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
.... Don't worry about the hills; there aren't many past Pittsburgh.
Yep, amazing now flat the nation is between Pittsburgh and Denver, nothing but corn and wheat for 1450 miles save for a few large cities.

I found I-70 sucked through St. Louis and Kansas City and next time I do the drive it'll be I-80.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM

43 posts, read 65,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post

I just made the drive from New Jersey to Denver via I-80 a few weeks ago. If you were just driving your car (not the moving truck with car in tow), I would strongly recommend I-80, due to the higher speed limits. It was 70 or 75 in many of the states. While there were construction projects in PA, near Chicago (which was the only bad delay), and NE, the trip was very smooth and fast. The ones in NE were long stretches of 1-lane...but everyone (including truckers) were doing whatever the speed limit was (either 55 or 65 in the construction zones). There were either rest stops or exits with services reasonably close, which was something I had been nervous about when I started planning the drive on 80.

But since you will be driving a moving truck with car in tow, I'm not sure how fast you will be able to drive with that (or your level of comfort driving that fast with a moving truck). But I also don't know if the congestion around all the cities I-70 goes through will be more stressful than the mostly open road via I-80.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM

516 posts, read 323,879 times
I would agree with the previous posters about the 80 route. There are stretches of 70 in Kansas (not to mention the toll) that I wouldn't want to be on in a rental truck because of the chances of being stranded in the middle of nowhere (a few places with 50-80 miles between exits) and the lack of adequate fueling stations and places to grab a bite.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM

574 posts, read 650,158 times
Can't comment on how to navigate through the East, but I certainly prefer the drive through IA and NE over the drive through KS.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM

414 posts, read 474,034 times
We drove a 16' truck with my car on a flat bed from Raleigh, NC to Denver and did it in 4 days. We probably could've done it in 3 days, but it's a boring trip, and driving a long truck that you're unfamiliar with will be stressful until the 3rd day or so. We had a ton of mountain passes to go through, and it was pretty hilly until St. Luis. I-80 sounds like a much better route.

Make sure you stop after driving a few hundred feet to check the car in tow, and then stop after 50 miles or so, then check every time you gas up (which will be frequently). We paid $100 per fillup with our truck. I never thought that there weren't enough service plazas along I-70 though, and we always ate at the plazas. Driving through Kansas City and St. Luis sucked though.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I would agree with the previous posters about the 80 route. There are stretches of 70 in Kansas (not to mention the toll) that I wouldn't want to be on in a rental truck because of the chances of being stranded in the middle of nowhere (a few places with 50-80 miles between exits) and the lack of adequate fueling stations and places to grab a bite.
I think thats a bit of an exaggeration. I seriously doubt you've ever been to Kansas. FYI the the longest stretch of Interstate between exits is 37 miles, and that is on I-80 across the Salt Flats in Utah, between Wendover and Knolls. I-70 stretches 424 miles across Kansas, and has about 130 Exits. Thats about 3.2 miles between Exits, which is about average.

BTW there are tolls on I-80 in the East as well. Just saying.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCane View Post
I just made the drive from New Jersey to Denver via I-80 a few weeks ago. If you were just driving your car (not the moving truck with car in tow), I would strongly recommend I-80, due to the higher speed limits. It was 70 or 75 in many of the states. While there were construction projects in PA, near Chicago (which was the only bad delay), and NE, the trip was very smooth and fast. The ones in NE were long stretches of 1-lane...but everyone (including truckers) were doing whatever the speed limit was (either 55 or 65 in the construction zones). There were either rest stops or exits with services reasonably close, which was something I had been nervous about when I started planning the drive on 80.

But since you will be driving a moving truck with car in tow, I'm not sure how fast you will be able to drive with that (or your level of comfort driving that fast with a moving truck).
The recommended speed limit for those trailers is 45 mph. I'd recommend that the OP keep his speed under 55, unless he wants to risk flipping the trailer over along with his car.

I would agree with everyone else here that I-80 would be the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver