U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,007 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

My fiancee and I are looking at new homes and prefer to live in southeast Denver (Parker, Centennial, south Aurora, etc.). Our budget is $310,000. While researching and visiting new home builders, we frequently run into either amazing success stories ("Love it and everything works!") or terrible horror stories ("The foundation cracked and our warranty doesn't cover their mistakes!") with not much in between.

Our question is, can anyone please give recommendations of new home builders and/or their communities in the Denver area? We are especially interested in Richmond American and Meritage Homes, both of whom offer excellent floor plans within our price range.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 AM

180 posts, read 140,127 times
I've heard good things about Shea and they usually have good ratings by JD Powers though you may be limited on where they are building currently. Whereas a certain builder that you may have mentioned (having two names) has poor customer service, uses shoddy contractors and I've had personal experience with foundation horror problems with such builder. I've toured several Meritage homes and they don't seem too bad, they are building in a lot of locations all around Denver but I only noticed their name within the past 4 years. Most builders these days include a 10 year structural warranty that will cover any problems but that doesn't mean it won't still be a hassle.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,129,290 times
SHEA Homes does have a solid reputation; in a past life I was a real estate broker and had more than my share of clients who either purchased or seriously considered one of their communities.
I think the above poster was refering to KAUFMAN and Broad (two name home builder)..I personally bought an investment property from them in 1998 in SouthWest Denver, the driveway and garage had to be repoured two additional times and the living room floors were as warped as they get. There were no expansive soils, just another consequence of Kaufman's deplorable quality.

Like Shea, Richmond Homes(MDC Corp) backs up their work as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM

5,470 posts, read 14,391,104 times
My parents have lived in Richmond Homes (and Wood Brothers, before it was Richmond) for years. They're definitely not the greatest quality, but for the typical price range they build in I'd say it's about average. One thing I've always found a little odd is how Richmond builds a stick frame for the whole house, then slaps on the siding, insulation, and drywall directly over it. Seems like most other builders put in an additional layer of wood over the frame, covering the house house.

Richmond (MDC) is headquarted in Denver so they're big in the area. If I had to make a S.W.A.G., I would say probably ~40% of all of southeast Aurora/ E. Centennial neighborhoods were built by them.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM

180 posts, read 140,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Whereas a certain builder that you may have mentioned (having two names) has poor customer service, uses shoddy contractors and I've had personal experience with foundation horror problems with such builder.
The builder I'm referring to was mentioned by the original poster and it was not Meritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver