U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM

366 posts, read 1,175,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Gee, Drew, I don't know. Maybe the OP is just planning ahead. Winter will be here in a few months, so why not get ready instead of waiting until the last minute? Ever see the line of people at the tire store getting those snow tires put on because it snowed the night before?
no need to be a smart ass. I was under the impression that the OP thought it was going to be snowing here in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,805,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
no need to be a smart ass. I was under the impression that the OP thought it was going to be snowing here in 2 weeks.
It could be snowing here in two weeks. It does happen. One of my more miserable "winter" experiences one year was having to chain up when towing a livestock trailer over Rabbit Ears Pass with 8" of new snow on the road--IN MID-SEPTEMBER. Contrary to what some short-time transplants like to spew, snow--and a fair amount of it--can occur anytime after Labor Day in the Colorado mountains. It may not be typical, but nor is it that unusual. I've only been studying--and dealing with--Colorado weather and climate for a half-century plus now. I'm going to be traveling cross-state in a week or so--guess what?--the winter survival kit WILL be in the vehicle.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,240,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Shovel, ice scraper, flares, matches, non-perishable food, a tent, multiple pairs of water repellent winter apparel, a megaphone, extra cell phone charge, battery operated walkie talkies, NWS-certified weather radio, snow tires, orange reflective vest, blankets, pillows, band-aids, water, bandages, skis, sleds, snow shoes, generator, crock pot, firewood, pots and pans, a large flag, flash lights, batteries, extra tires, extra antifreeze, kitty litter, chains, soap, washcloths, deodorant, candles, Merlot, reading materials, etc. This is my basic winter kit if I slide off of a mountain or get buried in some sort of snow slide and it will be days before getting rescued. Some might call it overkill. I do it to be safe. You never know on some of the isolated mountains!

You might want to investigate the type of pipe you have in your new residence! Whenever we would get extreme cold snaps in southern California, where it would get down to 40 at night at LAX, I would hear the weather people advise residents in colder areas, where it would get closer to 30, to protect their pipes. Many pipes were partially outside, creating potential issues. Back there, it usually meant wrapping the pipes with some sort of material that had an insulating effect. I have had people here tell me to only use the drip method if Colorado is in line for an Arctic blast (-10F or lower).
I just have the Merlot in my car. That's all I need to be happy if my car gets stuck in a snowdrift in Denver.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,475,460 times
Default Coolant?

Let's see...

Coolant is ethylene glycol, mixed 50/50 with water.
Antifreeze is ethylene glycol mixed 50/50 with water.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM

25 posts, read 114,413 times
My husband says not to get a snow shovel yet. But with snow predicted for this week, won't I possibly need one? I park in the garage and leave the house early in the morning. Just want to be prepared. Am I worrying too much? Also, as the winter really sets in, should we invest in a snow blower?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:06 PM

21,863 posts, read 23,102,930 times
Why should/would you wait to get a shovel? It's not like they're expensive and the price might come down....You will eventually need a shovel. Buy one so that you don't have to go get it at an incovenient time. Unless your driveway/sidewalks are exceedingly long (or possibly north facing) or your health is less than average, you most likely won't need a snowblower. I'd wait a winter or two before making that decision.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 PM

25 posts, read 114,413 times
Thanks, maciesmom. I don't want to wait to get a shovel. Since hubby was already at the hardware store, I texted him to get one and he says he doubts we'll need it. Not sure why he wants to wait... We do have a 65 ft driveway, which I consider long- but we'll wait to see if a blower is necessary.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 PM

21,863 posts, read 23,102,930 times
He doubts you'll need one? That's highly unlikely. Even last year, as mild as it was, I'm sure we brought the shovel out at least once or twice. And we have a south facing driveway which melts pretty quickly.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 PM

254 posts, read 428,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
... the same ones who drive 20 down I25 as soon as a snowflake is detected in the air.
I hate these people. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Colorado but my only major complaint is that many people drive like boneheads when they see a snowflake.

Always have a coat in the car, the weather often changes quickly. The shovel/scraper/etc. advice is spot on.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM

254 posts, read 428,903 times
I moved here from the midwest and am one of very few people in my neighborhood who has a snowblower. I am extremely popular with the neighbors a couple of times each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver