U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM

402 posts, read 927,121 times

Advertisements

I'll be coming in two weeks. What are all the winter tricks that need to be done?

Do I need antifreeze in my cars instead of coolant?

Do I need to let the faucet drip everytime it freezes?

Any other things I need to do?

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM

521 posts, read 718,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
I'll be coming in two weeks. What are all the winter tricks that need to be done?

Do I need antifreeze in my cars instead of coolant?

Any other things I need to do?

THanks!

Yes

No

Not really. Be careful on the roads and buy some salt for the driveway and sidewalks.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 PM

726 posts, read 1,865,549 times

seriously?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 AM

402 posts, read 927,121 times
they tell us to do that here in Florida. It will be on the news every single time we have a freeze coming! Other wise the pipes will bust which doesnt make sense to me because they are underground!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 AM

399 posts, read 690,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post

seriously?
Uh, yeah, he's serious. There's an apartment complex in Westminster, Colorado that strongly advises tenants to let their faucets drip during the winter to prevent pipes from freezing over and then bursting. Some of the old infrastructure in Colorado has to do that. Sometimes it's with the cheap places that were built to maximize profits. Most modern day apartment complexes don't need that anymore though.

For antifreeze, my biological family use 50/50 antifreeze and water for our vehicles. And buying winter tires is highly suggested, somewhat of a necessity if you're driving up to the mountains for some winter fun. Wouldn't want you to, for some absurd reason on the face of the planet, drive off a road in the mountains into the depths because you didn't have winter tires.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,044,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
they tell us to do that here in Florida. It will be on the news every single time we have a freeze coming! Other wise the pipes will bust which doesnt make sense to me because they are underground!
Check with your dwelling here. If it's built with Colorado in mind, the pipes are insulated in warm parts of your building. I only have to let water drip once it forecasts -10F.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM

5,700 posts, read 9,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post

seriously?
You must not be a Colorado native or old enough to remember these type of things.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM

12,252 posts, read 8,038,289 times
Make sure to always have a jacket or sweatshirt, a shovel and a snow scraper in your car. Not just in the winter, all year round.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 PM

726 posts, read 1,865,549 times
Actually I grew up in parts of Northern Canada where it was so cold cars had to be plugged in at night. Temperatures were regularly 40 and 50 below 0 in the winter. Heck it was way colder when I lived in WNY. So yes I think it is a joke. Maybe a valid question in the mountains but certainly not Denver. I golfed last January. hahaha. The same people who think Denver is a "cold" place are probably the same ones who drive 20 down I25 as soon as a snowflake is detected in the air.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,619,939 times
Make sure that your windshield washer fluid is kept full with the “blue juice” (you'll see it for sale everywhere).

In addition to Timmyy's suggestions, keep food and a blanket in your car. Just in case you get stuck somewhere. Yes, it CAN happen; sometimes highways get closed if the weather is real bad. Also, we used to keep kitty litter to use for traction if we got stuck; does anyone do that anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver