Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 11,469 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am relocating to Denver, CO. I saw your extensive blog post on the breakdown of the Denver area areas. It is extremely helpful. I need some more help please.

My goals for this new life are the elements of my life I so lack now. Friends, Social events, the prospect of many adventures recreationally (sightseeeing, hiking etc) and through that a sense of who I want to become.
I have some issues I am thinking about and was hoping you could help me through it.
The main thing I am facing is the apprehension of moving to a new city and unsure where affordable I can rent. The most dire problem, since I am transferring with Walgreens and the time table the bosses have given me to relocate is stressing me out. Need a living space within a fair range of $400 - $550.
I dont want my whole savings to be drained on weekly rate motels initially until I find something perm. cause even at $55 p/night it adds up.......... quick!

1 bedroom, safe but nothing amazingly fancy. I want to stay around Englewood, Aurora, or Littleton. Do you know anything about those areas? What does do those cities have to offer for recreation and nightlife?
Also, what area of the city do you live in? You know its hard to assume everything you do research on the Internet is true, most especially accuracy in age of properties and how its maintained.

Do you shop at Walgreens? What store do you favor in your neighborhood? Why? Are the employees friendly, store clean, helpful etc etc?

Thank you a million for your thought and typing hand... (Because of how much you might type)

All the best. - traveltyp

Any information on the relo process to assist me? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 02:39 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
For rentals, look at padmapper.com for prices. I think you'll find something.

Do you know the location where you'll be working.

The Walgreens here in COLO SPGS are fine, we use them exclusively.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Question Re: Apprehension...

I will be transferring to the area of my choice. I've read allot of posts on this forum. I leaning towards Glendale, Cherry Creek, Englewood, and S-Southeast Denver.
Middle class, well educated areas, but that the price of the apartments are costing $600 and upwards.

As I said my budget is around $450. I've scoured the Internet finding resources. Its just so... much... too much to figure out on my own.

Of course, I need the stability of being at a properly managed Walgreens. So if the customers dislike a store, why would I bother working there?

You get my drift... thanks for re-replying.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Where are you relocating from? The cost of living here is higher than a lot of places around the nation. You would be lucky to get a studio apartment for that price range. Most likely you would have to rent a room from somebody.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Timmy, that is incorrect information. I have found many at that price range in nice areas. Thanks anyways
Relocating from a place where Denver is higher cost of living but I can manage it.

I was looking for more extensive info. Based on the info, I have given. Or a little comfort from the experiences you've had.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Well, I have had nothing but good experiences at the Walgreens in my area. I live in Highlands Ranch which just south of Littleton and Centenniel. I think there three in HR. The one I go to is at Broadway and Highlands Ranch Parkway.

Best of luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltyp View Post
I will be transferring to the area of my choice. I've read allot of posts on this forum. I leaning towards Glendale, Cherry Creek, Englewood, and S-Southeast Denver.
how old are you? southeast suburbs are mostly families. it might be hard to develop a social life there if you are younger.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltyp View Post
Hello

I am relocating to Denver, CO. I saw your extensive blog post on the breakdown of the Denver area areas. It is extremely helpful. I need some more help please.

My goals for this new life are the elements of my life I so lack now. Friends, Social events, the prospect of many adventures recreationally (sightseeeing, hiking etc) and through that a sense of who I want to become.
I have some issues I am thinking about and was hoping you could help me through it.
Moving to Denver (or anywhere) is not going to solve your social problems. Only you can. I don't know where you are living now, but Denver may make your problems worse. People here are not very social and outgoing compared to some other parts of the country.

Hiking and recreation, Denver has a lot to offer, but you need a car and extra gas money-- and the time-- to make the trips to the mountains. If you're totally broke you probably won't be doing much hiking.

Quote:
The main thing I am facing is the apprehension of moving to a new city and unsure where affordable I can rent. The most dire problem, since I am transferring with Walgreens and the time table the bosses have given me to relocate is stressing me out. Need a living space within a fair range of $400 - $550.
I dont want my whole savings to be drained on weekly rate motels initially until I find something perm. cause even at $55 p/night it adds up.......... quick!
If that's your budget, you should find a roomshare rental on Craigslist. There are a ton of them available all the time. A few days before you get here, start responding to a bunch of ads and make phone calls. Then get some prospective roommates scheduled for interviews when you come. At that budget, you cannot comforatably afford an apartment in Denver w/ all the expenses that come along with it (utilities, furniture, etc). The average rent for an average apartment in Denver is $700-800. Bargain basement places can be found for $550 on up. So if you even found something for under $550, it would likely be a TOTAL ****-hole. Whereas with roommates, you could live in decent accomodations for that price.

Quote:
1 bedroom, safe but nothing amazingly fancy. I want to stay around Englewood, Aurora, or Littleton. Do you know anything about those areas? What does do those cities have to offer for recreation and nightlife?
Also, what area of the city do you live in? You know its hard to assume everything you do research on the Internet is true, most especially accuracy in age of properties and how its maintained.
What store are you working at? I would live no more than a few miles away from the store if I were you.

Quote:
Do you shop at Walgreens? What store do you favor in your neighborhood? Why? Are the employees friendly, store clean, helpful etc etc?
No, I dislike pharmacy stores personally (not just Walgreens, but CVS, Rite Aid, and others too, they're all the same). There's nothing they sell there that can't be found at King Soopers or Safeway (already going to be at the grocery store anyway to buy food, so why make another trip to a pharmacy when I can get the products I need right there?), and it's usually higher priced. I only go in 2-3 times a year max.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,473 times
Sadly I have to agree with the other posts on here. The rent in any area where you'd feel okay to walk alone at night in is going to cost more than $500. You'd be better off doing a room in a house, or something along those lines if your wanting to stay at that price. The other problem can be the utilities. They can be costly in the denver & metro area. Any apartment at 450 - 500 wont be including utilities. Their are 3 Walgreens in my neighborhood and they are putting up a new one across the street from me, they are all nice, or as nice as a walgreens can be.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Moving to Denver (or anywhere) is not going to solve your social problems. Only you can. I don't know where you are living now, but Denver may make your problems worse. People here are not very social and outgoing compared to some other parts of the country.
I agree with the above. If you do move out here, look at meetup.com, things like that to get to know people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver