U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Denver in a couple of weeks to check out areas for a potential job relocation. I'm not sure about where to live as I have just started researching the Denver area. I'm hoping you guys can help us out as we don't know much about the Denver area yet. Here is our info:

-Budget - up to $275k
-Looking for 4 bedroom house in the suburbs with a decent sized yard. Must have a fence/be able to fence in neighborhood
- Job is near University of Colorado Hospital, so a max of 45 minute commute is desired
- Don't have children yet but plans in the near future. Very good schools are essential
- Would prefer to not live in a tract housing development like some of the ones that I have seen in Highlands Ranch
- Would like a downtown that is older and "cute"
- Would love mountains view but we are unsure how realistic that is

From the little research that we have done so far, we like Littleton and Castle Rock.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,519,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf1545 View Post
I will be traveling to Denver in a couple of weeks to check out areas for a potential job relocation. I'm not sure about where to live as I have just started researching the Denver area. I'm hoping you guys can help us out as we don't know much about the Denver area yet. Here is our info:

-Budget - up to $275k
-Looking for 4 bedroom house in the suburbs with a decent sized yard. Must have a fence/be able to fence in neighborhood
- Job is near University of Colorado Hospital, so a max of 45 minute commute is desired
- Don't have children yet but plans in the near future. Very good schools are essential
- Would prefer to not live in a tract housing development like some of the ones that I have seen in Highlands Ranch
- Would like a downtown that is older and "cute"
- Would love mountains view but we are unsure how realistic that is

From the little research that we have done so far, we like Littleton and Castle Rock.

Thanks
Your requirements are somewhat unrealistic and based on ideas that are just a little too rigid and do not fit the realities of this area.

Forget Littleton and Castle Rock. They are too far from the medical Anshutz Medical Campus which is in Aurora, just east of the Denver City Line.

If you want a suburbs, within 45 minutes, than your choices are Aurora or any development along E-470. You could even hit areas of Centennial near Aurora. Many of these are tract home developments. Aurora does not some very good neighborhoods. However, your budget is too low for your requirements of a 4 bdr. home, big yard, in a nice suburbs, or Denver, with good schools. If you do not want tract homes than you are really out of the ballpark.

Downtown that are old and cute? That is interesting. The nearest old "downtown" would be the older part of Aurora on Colfax. It is certainly not "cute" but is old. The best downtown, and may be considered cute by some, is Denver.

You "Must have a fence/be able to fence in neighborhood"... A fence is no problem but you want to "fence in neighborhood" then what you want is more in a "tract" development and more perfectly a "gated" community.

I would suggest the actually place for you is the City of Denver. Denver is not like many other cities. It is not totally dense as many areas mimic suburban environments. It is considered a great place to live and that is why it is attracting the best and brightest of all classes. It is not declining and is growing with redeveloping and new neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods that are much safer, cleaner and with better schools than many suburban neighborhoods.

You want a "cute" and "old" downtown. Well, as I said, Denver has a well regarded downtown but also has many neighborhoods that have essentially "min"downtowns that are certainly cute, old but too expensive for your budget. Some of the new urban developments like Stapleton and Lowry can work but your budget is too low.

Possibly, you could consider some of the older western suburbs of Westminster, Arvada, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge. Some of these areas are within 45 minutes of the campus. Arvada does have the "cute and old" downtown with good schools. All these areas would have nice homes in fenced yards but I think your budget is again too low.

If you are looking for an idyllic pastoral separate little town, they are not really here. We have many traditional agricultural/ranching historic towns. For example, you could look farther north of the campus to Brighton. It does have a old downtown which is trying to be "cute" but not quite there. You could get more home for your money. Some areas would be within 45 minutes.

Livecontent

Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM

13,963 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Default Chicago Area Criteria

Ryan,

You wrote:
Quote:
"Married, no children yet, but plans for one in the next two years
Budget: ~$300,000
4 bed/2 bath two story house desired. Not looking for a Camridge home or brand new subdivision without trees
looking for excellent schools
up to 45 minute commute to the city by Metra
looking for a nice, older downtown area with shops, resaurants, etc.
Open to north, western and southern suburbs
Would love to be in an area with mature trees and a forest preserve nearby, if possible

I have seen a few homes in Oak Park, but the lots are a little too small for us and we are looking for more of a suburban setting. We like Geneva and St. Charles a lot, but they are too far out for our commute to downtown. If we could pick them up and move them closer to downtown, we would live there. Is there anything similar in our price range that is closer to the city?"
I agree with LiveContent.
You are being unrealistic.
Plan to spend more or revise your other criteria.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 25 days ago)

10,891 posts, read 29,335,340 times
I would look in Denver - Mayfair, Park Hill...from Colorado Blvd to I 225. Also look to older neighborhoods in Aurora, near Smoky Hill, Tower...

Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,844 times
I live in Castle Rock and work at the Anshutz campus. I always give myself an hour to get to work, but usually get there a little before as long as there is no snow or traffic accidents. I love Castle Rock. Very friendly people, a cute downtown and the schools are good. I feel reasonably safe in my neighborhood. You feel like you are away from it all, yet not too far away. Just my humble opinion.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

156 posts, read 631,804 times
For your price range, I'd look in Aurora along Smoky Hill Road (south side of Smoky Hill Rd). Saddle Rock is a very nice neighborhood, but probably too tract-home like for you. Piney Creek and Shenandoah are both very nice, and have older homes and tons of trees (we live in this area), but out of your price range. The area along Smoky Hill would give you fairly quick access to 225 or 470 to get to Anschutz, and you'd be in the Cherry Creek School District, which is the best public school system in the state!

I also agree driving from Castle Rock to Anschutz in 45 minutes would be problematic, especially in winter. I certainly wouldn't want to do it1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or