U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM

402 posts, read 930,087 times

Advertisements

I am driving there next week from Florida to move. I just went to get my oil changed and the guy pointed out I have one bad tire and the other 3 are close. When I say bad, I just mean the tread is getting worn.

I really dont want to spend whatever the cost is for new tires, get out there, and have to buy snow tires as well. So my question is, is there some all season tires that work good enough in the snow? The SUV is AWD but that doesnt help with stopping. Also, when are the snow tires usually put on, what month?

Trying to figure out if I should just take the trip with the tires I have, then buy snow tires as soon as I get there or buy good all season tires now and not deal with snow tires at all.

We will be going up in the mountains often. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM

12,298 posts, read 8,110,970 times
I use Michelin snow/mud tires. I never have a problem.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM

you use those all year round or what?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,480,559 times
IF the tread is "getting worn" as in the tread wear bars are showing, then I'd be reluctant to take a major cross country trip on the tires.

For the most part, high quality all-season tires are suitable for use in Colorado, including heading frequently to the mountains. The key is "high quality", not the cheapest tires that fit with the all-season designation.

Once I changed over to AWD vehicles for my winter driving needs, I have never needed snow tires as I did on my RWD cars in Colorado. Your bigger challenge during inclement driving conditions here is black ice, not deep snow on the highways, so a good hydrophillic tire with the all-season rating is OK.

A big advantage to the all-season tire is that it doesn't need seasonal changing, nor does it have the relatively short life of most snow tires. For example, the longest I ever had a set of blizzak's last was into the low teens .... while most all of the quality all-season tires I've bought last 40-60,000 miles.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Good post Sun, I can see the tread bars but if you stick a penny in there it still overs some of the head, barely on some spots but it does cover it.

I just called a firestone and they said they dont even have all season tires and I should wait until I get out there. I guess I need to make more calls. Apparently my tire size is odd and my selection is very limited. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 PM

12,298 posts, read 8,110,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
you use those all year round or what?
Yes. I have never owned snow tires. I moved here 12 years ago. I have AWD cars which tend to wear tires out a bit faster. I can get between 50,000 and 60,000 miles out of the Michelins and they handle great in the snow.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Can you tell me what kind they are? Thank you!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,722,384 times
Quote:
Good post Sun, I can see the tread bars but if you stick a penny in there it still overs some of the head, barely on some spots but it does cover it.

I just called a firestone and they said they dont even have all season tires and I should wait until I get out there. I guess I need to make more calls. Apparently my tire size is odd and my selection is very limited. Thanks for the info!
I don't want to worry you, but I would definitely keep calling around. If you think it's tough to find your tires now, just wait till you're trying to find some after a blowout in the Texas Panhandle or eight miles west of Winona, Kansas. I've been stuck in Amarillo due to car trouble, and in that part of world Amarillo is actually "civilization!"

Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:

I highly doubt that tire retailers in Florida do not have All Season tires. They have been a norm on cars for decades. Even with odd tires, they can easily order from their supplier. In addition, I think all new cars come with them. What happens when the numerous people who drive to Florida from the North and have a tire failures and need a new one?? They cannot mix tires on axles--they would want and need another All Season tire.

Livecontent

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I found some and plan on getting them put on tomorrow. I am still unsure if I made the right decision because I am sure these tires will get me there and then I could get some winter tires but oh well. I hope I am happy driving in all seasons in the winter! I know the AWD will help but still. I know I will be in the mountains a lot but if it gets too bad, I can always slap on the chains even though nobody uses them there I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver