Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:53 PM

52 posts, read 81,210 times

Advertisements

Pretty cool interactive state by state map in the NY Times showing where current residents were born. I found it interesting that with only 42% of Colorado residents being natives, we are on par with retirement states like Arizona (38%) and Florida (36%). As many on this forum would suspect, the largest group of non-native Coloradans came from California at 6%, and there was a 3-way tied for 2nd between Illinois, Texas, and New York at 3%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/up...ince-1900.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Where from?
Mostly from hospitals as very few people are born at home anymore.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:36 PM

694 posts, read 1,032,052 times
California? Imagine that. With all the CA license plates I see, I just never would have suspected that state was leading the push into the Denver metro.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 02-14-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Word usage

Old 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM

26,115 posts, read 48,712,075 times
CA has double the population of NY, triple the population of IL and a good deal more than TX, thus it follows that with the largest population in the nation that more of the inflow into CO would come from CA. Our tech industry is compatible with the tech jobs in CA, further adding to compatibility and mobility. Nothing remarkable about this.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:32 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
CA has double the population of NY, triple the population of IL and a good deal more than TX, thus it follows that with the largest population in the nation that more of the inflow into CO would come from CA. Our tech industry is compatible with the tech jobs in CA, further adding to compatibility and mobility. Nothing remarkable about this.
Yeah, you would think that all of the states had equal population.

Coloradans should be happy that there aren't MORE of us (CA'ians) here.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:19 PM

3,991 posts, read 2,666,904 times
I'm honestly not surprised. In the 18 years I've been here, I'm still more surprised to meet natives than non-natives.

In an 'anecdote does not equal data' moment, where I work: Boss--native Coloradan. Co-workers are from Wyoming (he's from Cheyenne, and jokes that it counts as native Coloradan), military brat (wasn't born here and lived all over), California, and Missouri. (I'm also from Missouri--my coworker and I realized that the houses we grew up in were ten blocks away from each other, but she's fifteen years older, so we didn't know each other then.)

Amongst my closest friends: 6 natives, 3 from New Jersey, 1 from Wyoming, 1 from Nebraska, 1 from Arkansas, 1 military brat, 1 from Kansas (moved here when she was two, doesn't remember Kansas), 1 from Illinois (family also moved here when she was 2, doesn't remember Illinois.)

One friend who considers her native status ambiguous--born here, family moved to the New England area when she was four, stayed there til she started fourth grade, moved back to Colorado, then back to New England when she started high school. Moved back here her senior year of high school (she acknowledges she was not a happy camper about that). Wound up going to college here. She admits that sometimes she feels torn between being a Coloradan and a New Englander.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 19,585 times
Weird to see all the sass and people staring its obvious. OP said, "as most of you would suspect". Neat to see some validated data to back up all the moaning on here.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 19,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Where from?
Mostly from hospitals as very few people are born at home anymore.
With all the stupidity around vaccinations, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the next semi-mainstream step backwards in medical choices.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM

25 posts, read 33,283 times
Love this! Thanks taking the time to share! I also agree with Chicago2Denver - too many know it alls.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM

384 posts, read 504,760 times
Not valid for statistical purposes, but at my company, we have a bunch of folks from Wisconsin, a few from California and then "native" is probably third and after that it's from all over. As noted above, I am usually surprised when someone is from Colorado. Non-natives make up 95% of my circle.

I believe there are studies that talk about Colorado's highly educated work force, but the caveat is a large percentage of those people were educated outside the state. Interesting population distribution for sure.

And heck, I bet I know 30 people from my little town in IL that live in Colorado now. The place is definitely a magnet for people that have tired of the midwest.

The one group I find most entertaining isn't the Californian's (most aren't from there either), it's the Texans. They seem to just behave a bit.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver