U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL, it's not hot enough here to do that on April 27, it could freeze!
Well, that's a bit misleading. If it snows on April 27, the grass is already green, many trees are greening up, flowers are blooming. It'll be rain turning to snow, slushy snow of maybe a couple inches at best, doesn't stick to the pavement, then melts within 24 hours. Two days later it could be sunny and 78.

And every year it seems like around mid March, we get lots of warm weather with temps well into the 70s, if not 80. I call March the "dirty trick" where if you never lived here before, you'd think Winter was completely over lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
denverian wrote:
And every year it seems like around mid March, we get lots of warm weather with temps well into the 70s, if not 80. I call March the "dirty trick" where if you never lived here before, you'd think Winter was completely over lol!
March is like that in many other places besides Denver! And it sure does seem like a "dirty trick". Even though I've been the recipient of the "dirty trick" of March time and time again, I fall for it every time, rationalizing it with a thought that goes something like this....THIS year it'll be different! I get sucker punched every time.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,355,834 times
I'd say that winters here are much better then in New England (except for the late and early snows) for reasons explained above. That being said, if you are tired of winter I don't think Denver is a good choice. In a typical Denver winter you have three types of weather patterns that alternate - warm and sunny in the daytime (usually with wind); moderately cold and snowy (but still relatively dry), and dry and very cold. The first seems to be the most common and the last the least common. Still, there are 55-60 inches of average snowfall per year (the majority in early spring), the minimum recorded temperature is below -30, and nights are usually colder then in other mid-latitude winter climates. So it's not really winter-lite.

Last edited by xeric; 09-28-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Move to Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I'm considering moving to Denver...and to be perfectly clear, one of the biggest reasons I want to leave New England is the winters.
In 1980, I moved from Sudbury, MA to Colorado Springs. In 1982, I moved to Denver.

Come on up, the weather is wonderful.
The winters are very mild and there no bugs. Screened-in porches do not exist here.

Blizzards? Yes. 1978 in Boston. 1982 in Denver. Once a decade. You will survive.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 PM

344 posts, read 864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, that's a bit misleading. If it snows on April 27, the grass is already green, many trees are greening up, flowers are blooming. It'll be rain turning to snow, slushy snow of maybe a couple inches at best, doesn't stick to the pavement, then melts within 24 hours. Two days later it could be sunny and 78.

70s and 80s in MARCH? oh lord.
that's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
In 1980, I moved from Sudbury, MA to Colorado Springs. In 1982, I moved to Denver.

Come on up, the weather is wonderful.
The winters are very mild and there no bugs. Screened-in porches do not exist here.

Blizzards? Yes. 1978 in Boston. 1982 in Denver. Once a decade. You will survive.
Nice, I have lived in Framingham and Natick. very close to Sudbury. =)

No bugs is great. I knew san diego had no mosquitos. Denver is the same?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I'm considering moving to Denver, or the surrounding metro area...

and to be perfectly clear, one of the biggest reasons I want to leave New England is the winters.

I'm having trouble figuring out if Denver should be on my list of places to consider...

I don't mind some snow. I mind new england cause it's 20 degrees outside, very little sunshine, and the snow doesn't melt for 4 months!

I've read that Denver gets some warm days in the summer occasionally. I've also read that Denver gets a ton of sunshine. 300 days a year I think? wow. For most people, does this make winter bearable? seems like it would.

But Id just hate to leave Boston and get to another place where it's winter half the year, can't go outside cause it's 28 degrees and icy, etc.

this question might be tough to answer, I know Colorado's weather is very unpredictable and variable. but just in general I'm looking for some overall insight into the "feel" of your winters
Born and raised in Massachusetts (north of Boston) and I've been here for 4.5 years. The weather is reason #1 why I would never consider moving back even though all my family and friends are still there.

The winters are a breeze compared to winters back home. How does 60 degrees on some January days sound. I remember 30+ days of below freezing weather back in MA. The summers are amazing with low humidity. You can sit outside at 9pm without sweating!!

Regarding the bugs, I get yelled at by my mom (I'm 39 years old!) when I head back to MA to visit when I leave the door open for her dogs. I forget about the lack of bugs out here and the deluge of mosquitos on a summer night!

Best of luck on whatevah you decide!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I'd say that winters here are much better then in New England (except for the late and early snows) for reasons explained above. That being said, if you are tired of winter I don't think Denver is a good choice. In a typical Denver winter you have three types of weather patterns that alternate - warm and sunny in the daytime (usually with wind); moderately cold and snowy (but still relatively dry), and dry and very cold. The first seems to be the most common and the last the least common. Still, there are 55-60 inches of average snowfall per year (the majority in early spring), the minimum recorded temperature is below -30, and nights are usually colder then in other mid-latitude winter climates. So it's not really winter-lite.
Someone coming from Boston will find few "very cold" days in a Denver winter.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
RedSoxFanGoingWest wrote:
That may be true, but now you get the Broncos with Kyle Orton @ QB instead of the Patriots and Tom Brady. You win some and you lose some. It's always a trade-off. Sunday afternoons during football season often feel very cold in Denver, but the season usually ends pretty early.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,320,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
That may be true, but now you get the Broncos with Kyle Orton @ QB instead of the Patriots and Tom Brady. You win some and you lose some. It's always a trade-off. Sunday afternoons during football season often feel very cold in Denver, but the season usually ends pretty early.
I've heard there are fans hoping the Broncos suck early on so Tebow can play sooner.

I've yet to see a real full-on snow Broncos game since I've been in Denver, but I've seen several snowy Pats games on TV during the same period. That should say something about the weather (we won't talk about snowed out Rockies games though ).

But anyway, most everybody from anywhere north and east of here will probably think our winters are pretty cake overall.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
DirecTV, Cosmic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver