U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 5,013 times
Default Relocating Single Mom needs ADVICE!!

Im a single mom of a wonderful 4 yr old son who will be relocating to the Denver Area in the next 6 months. I am looking for advice on several things, if anyone can please help sort this out it will be greatly appreciated:

1) Cost of Living -- Im relocating from Phoenix, and am originally from Chicago. Currently the housing is cheaper in phoenix but they get ya other ways, ie - licesnse plate tags, groceries etc. What are some of the pros/cons to the Denver area?

2) Housing -- I work for an airline which would require me to work at DIA. When looking for housing which areas should I focus on? I am looking to rent either a house or townhouse that is in a great area with a small yard that my son can go outside and play. I am willing to travel up to 45 min each way to DIA as long as I can have a safe afforable place for us to live.

3) Day Care Options -- Unforuntaly working full time requires Day Care for my son when he is not in school. What are the averages of day care prices in the area? I would prefer an at home based provider because of my goofy hours, Im not the 9-5 crowd.

4) Meeting people/kids -- My biggest issue with Phoenix is that people here are not the friendliest. Probably because of the heat, no one comes outside. I have been to Denver several times & love the down to earth people that reside & work there. I would like some information on what to do, where to go with & without kids.

I really appreciate any and all feedback. We cant wait to get to Denver!!

Thank You!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

387 posts, read 283,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwatt4808 View Post
Im a single mom of a wonderful 4 yr old son who will be relocating to the Denver Area in the next 6 months. I am looking for advice on several things, if anyone can please help sort this out it will be greatly appreciated:

1) Cost of Living -- Im relocating from Phoenix, and am originally from Chicago. Currently the housing is cheaper in phoenix but they get ya other ways, ie - licesnse plate tags, groceries etc. What are some of the pros/cons to the Denver area?

2) Housing -- I work for an airline which would require me to work at DIA. When looking for housing which areas should I focus on? I am looking to rent either a house or townhouse that is in a great area with a small yard that my son can go outside and play. I am willing to travel up to 45 min each way to DIA as long as I can have a safe afforable place for us to live.

3) Day Care Options -- Unforuntaly working full time requires Day Care for my son when he is not in school. What are the averages of day care prices in the area? I would prefer an at home based provider because of my goofy hours, Im not the 9-5 crowd.

4) Meeting people/kids -- My biggest issue with Phoenix is that people here are not the friendliest. Probably because of the heat, no one comes outside. I have been to Denver several times & love the down to earth people that reside & work there. I would like some information on what to do, where to go with & without kids.

I really appreciate any and all feedback. We cant wait to get to Denver!!

Thank You!!!

All the best for your move I have recently moved from NYC and currently staying on rent in Montclair area of Denver which is about 1 hr from DIA I will be moving to Stapleton area when my home closes around Nov
I am paying about $1100 for a 2 bed room home At Stapleton good rental on a home probably be $1500 I have moved from NYC so I cant compare since NYC is one of the most expensive city in the world
Not sure of day care as my kids are little bit older
I have heard gas and water is expensive in Denver
Since you would be flying out of DIA a lot best area probably be Stapleton
about 30-45 mins from DIA
It shouldn't be hard to meet people as compared to Phoenix
I have found ppl here very friendly
All the best on your move

Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

8,899 posts, read 11,733,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
currently staying on rent in Montclair area of Denver which is about 1 hr from DIA
It's actually only about 1/2 hr.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 14,030,416 times
Quote:
Could be just circumstances, or the particular neighborhood you live in. I've lived in both Denver and Phoenix, and I'd say that if anything, Phoenix people are slightly more outgoing, willing to make new friends outside of their circle, etc, than Denver people. And the friendliest people in Denver, in my experience, are those from other parts of the country, not the ones who grew up here. If you want true down-to-earth people, I'd look at a place like Oklahoma or something.

I'd recommend adding southeast Aurora to your list for a very family friendly area that is reasonable commute to DIA.

Before you complain about license plates fees in AZ and assume it's better here, take a look at what the rates are in CO. You may be shocked, especially if you drive a newer vehicle!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 5,013 times
Thank you all for responding! I am comparing all facets to this move & where I may save some $$ in one area I figured I will lose in another. As far as the ppl go here in phx - it seems that the garage goes up, the car goes in, & the garage goes down! No real comardarie with neighbors or anything like what Im used to from the midwest. Ive been here over 3 years & live in a very nice subdivision but it seems this is just not the place for me. As far as plate fees, Im over $400 a yr on a 2008 vehicle & summer electric bills just about killed me this year at $675 a month. Thank goodness Im on the "budget" ! lol I just need to get to where I can provide a great life for my son. In Phx he will not get to experience the simple things in life such as jumping in a pile of leaves or building a snowman. I appreciate all of your time & input as it has helped me alot! Hope to be DENVER BOUND SOON!!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM

387 posts, read 283,978 times
Quote:
Thank you all for responding! I am comparing all facets to this move & where I may save some $$ in one area I figured I will lose in another. As far as the ppl go here in phx - it seems that the garage goes up, the car goes in, & the garage goes down! No real comardarie with neighbors or anything like what Im used to from the midwest. Ive been here over 3 years & live in a very nice subdivision but it seems this is just not the place for me. As far as plate fees, Im over $400 a yr on a 2008 vehicle & summer electric bills just about killed me this year at $675 a month. Thank goodness Im on the "budget" ! lol I just need to get to where I can provide a great life for my son. In Phx he will not get to experience the simple things in life such as jumping in a pile of leaves or building a snowman. I appreciate all of your time & input as it has helped me alot! Hope to be DENVER BOUND SOON!!

I agree about the people in Phx and in AZ People in CO are much more open plus they dont blame all the problems on illegal immigrants as they do in AZ LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver