Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 PM

339 posts, read 1,283,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
"Hip" is a pretty relative term.

If you're coming from, say, Scottsbluff, Denver will make you feel like the coolest cat in Colorado.
But if you're coming from Seattle or Boston, then you probably are the coolest cat in Colorado.
Seattle sucks. For all it was worth, I might as well stay here LOL. I didn't see anything there, that I haven't seen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,861,760 times
Just the fact that the OP is asking about hip areas, coming from Seattle, makes me think Denver is not right for him. All cities have young people, art galleries, and cafes. But not all cities have a hip vibe. He should spend $250 for a flight, see LoDo, LoHi, the 16th street mall, Colefax. He'll know in a day.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
You know you're really hip when you live in a hip city and just sit around complaining about how it's really not hip

Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM

I think Denver has great quality of life, great people, and enough to do to keep me occupied and I think it's a cool city in its own way. But hip, as in funky neighborhoods, with concentrations of neat shops, cheap ethnic eats, and cafes filled with young, hipster/fashionable people doing quirky things? All that comes to mind is LoHi and Pearl St. What have I missed?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 PM

556 posts, read 1,196,059 times
south broadway/ baker

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,960,740 times
Capital Hill
Washington Park
Uptown

Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Any places where there is a more middle class, or just-being-gentrified, or artsy and cool vibe? To me, anyway, upscale hip is boring. Give me wage slave/student/dive bar hip over yuppie boutique. Wash Park and LoDo I find unappealing for that reason. Besides Broadway? Is uptown that way? I rarely go up there but my impression - could well be wrong - is that it's more upscale but with the some of the seediness of Colfax creeping around.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM

109 posts, read 277,799 times
Five Points

Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I think Denver has great quality of life, great people, and enough to do to keep me occupied and I think it's a cool city in its own way. But hip, as in funky neighborhoods, with concentrations of neat shops, cheap ethnic eats, and cafes filled with young, hipster/fashionable people doing quirky things? All that comes to mind is LoHi and Pearl St. What have I missed?
Well first off, you get my negative nancy attitude for the moniker "LoHi" which I personally detest in favor of "Lower Highland", but since my opinion is no more valid than yours, I suppose we'll have to leave that at that

What's been missed, however, is Lower Downtown, the CPV, Uptown (17th Ave) and South Broadway...and as for "hip" as in "more dives", let's not forget Rino / Cole and Five Points...but again, one's mileage may vary.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM

224 posts, read 548,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarren09 View Post
Five Points
I think this person is joking; 5 points is a dangerous area. When I went to college there I drove taxi and we had a driver's throat cut there while he waited for a fare.

The downtown is kind of a gay area, but I think not as much as it used to be. Even so Capital Hill has to be the best area to live (close to the creek path as you can get.) I lived next door to Wild Oats by that 7-11. I could roller blade on the path and it's close to all the clubs, nice downtown feel, about 15 min walk to the outdoor mall. Overall, Denver's a little hayseed but hipper than the average town. The problem is it's just that little area. Once you go West it's hispanic housing; North is ghetto until you get to the suburbs which are pretty trashy; East is Aurora which is also trashy. South is nice until you get to the new business development/suburbs then it's just cookie cutter like anywhere else. I'd gladly buy a house downtown or around Denver University, but that's all.

I personally preferred living in Boulder and Nederland, but I moved up there for the mountains. I would've went to Seattle but Co gets more sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver