U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM
 
235 posts, read 646,491 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

There is not too much of that starving artist crowd around Denver. A lot of the trust fund/aristy/ex high school foot ball player types.

Coming from Portland,(originally from nyc, and lived in PHX) I was expecting a bit more dense community vibe, maybe it is where I live (capitol hill), but it seems to be a lot of drunk party doods, and hawt babes with their boobies hanging out, wreaking of boozes. The neigborhoods are beautiful, and will remind you a sleepier less hilly version of Seattle's cap hill. A car is a must, especially if you want some coffee. Downtown has mercury, and some other randoms, but so far I have found nothing in terms of cozy late night cafe hang outs, which the NW has sprawled almost everywhere.
I don't want to be dissing Denver at, I honestly think Denver is alright, but not for every one.
I would say to check out Santa fe art district, or rhino, just don't expect portland/seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,737 posts, read 9,433,135 times
Reputation: 2921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
There is not too much of that starving artist crowd around Denver. A lot of the trust fund/aristy/ex high school foot ball player types.

Coming from Portland,(originally from nyc, and lived in PHX) I was expecting a bit more dense community vibe, maybe it is where I live (capitol hill), but it seems to be a lot of drunk party doods, and hawt babes with their boobies hanging out, wreaking of boozes. The neigborhoods are beautiful, and will remind you a sleepier less hilly version of Seattle's cap hill. A car is a must, especially if you want some coffee. Downtown has mercury, and some other randoms, but so far I have found nothing in terms of cozy late night cafe hang outs, which the NW has sprawled almost everywhere.
I don't want to be dissing Denver at, I honestly think Denver is alright, but not for every one.
I would say to check out Santa fe art district, or rhino, just don't expect portland/seattle.
Well written. I share this opinion, as I've mentioned a few times on this forum. The vibe of hip neighborhoods in Denver might seem hip to people coming from small towns or the suburbs, but if you have any experience living in places which have more diversity and more artistic presence you'll note the difference. I have never been to Portland, and I have only spent a few days in Seattle, so I don't know about those two places, but I've lived in Brooklyn and D.C. and I work in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM
 
186 posts, read 423,786 times
Reputation: 103
Just to defend my post, I was a cab driver while going to school out there so I think I have a good idea of the city as it really is having driven all over it for years on end. I loved seeing the area improve when Coors Field was built, all the lofts etc and am thrilled that some of those beautiful old houseds in 5 points are being renovated (though note many have bars on doors and windows.) If you really want to get to know the area, drive a taxi there, preferably at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
25 posts, read 28,645 times
Reputation: 43
As someone who grew up in Portland and lived in Seattle and DC before moving here, I will offer up the following comparison.

You can rule out the 16th St Mall. Do you enjoy hanging out at Pikes Market or the Waterfront? 16th St Mall is a lesser version anchored by restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Earls, Yard House, and the Tilted Kilt. Nothing really unique to Denver. Certainly worth a visit, as I walk on it everyday, but it doesn't fit your definition of a hip neighborhood. The nighttime crowd is more likely to be wearing a name tag from the convention center than sporting a pacifier.

Lodo and Rino are interesting enough but are more sterile than exciting. Think Real Housewives type culture when you hear Lodo. Lots of places to drink, clubs, lounges etc. Rino is trying. It is an extension of Lodo that pretends to have more street cred. It has potential but is almost always vacant. There is an occasional art showing or warehouse party/music performance that are pretty cool. But if you don't know where you are going, you are more likely to see tumbleweeds than any action.

The Santa Fe Arts District appears hip one day each month: First Friday. The galleries are plentiful but when are they open? Local artists call it Santa Fake. Another area of Denver which seems to have potential when first viewed but does not live up to the imagination. If you don't live there, you will never go there, unless you want green chile at Taco de Mexico or Santiagos.

South Pearl Street, South Gaylord Street, 32nd and Lowell and Tennyson Street all have coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, etc, however they certainly cater more to the stroller pushing crowd than hipsters.

Cherry Creek North? Don't bother. Open air mall for the country club elite.

Downtown Littleton? Seriously? No.

Cap Hill. Densely packed, overflowing with hipsters. Great park (Cheesman) but a surprising lack of coffee shops/bars. There are a few of course just not as many as you would expect. Like Cap Hill in Seattle but on a much smaller scale. This is the 22-30 neighborhood.

Uptown. Across Colfax from Cap Hill. This is where people move when they've grown weary of Cap Hill and got a raise. (If they have a kid too, they go to the Highlands or Wash Park). Has everything you mentioned but a little short on the arts. Incredibly walkable and the closest to downtown.

Colfax is the gritty heart of Denver. You will find gem dive bars, meth zombies, legless hookers, great music venues, and locals only businesses. Cap Hill and Uptown straddle Colfax. The road itself runs for 26 miles into Aurora in the east and Golden to the west. The area I am referring to is in the shadow of the Capitol.

Baker/South Broadway. The business district here seems more like what you're looking for. Antique and vintage shops, local boutiques, music and food, movies, and more foot traffic than any of the above neighborhoods. Not quite as close to downtown as Uptown.

So in sum, Denver is neither as dull as its haters would say or as cosmopolitan as its promoters would say. The weather is fantastic and the cost is pretty good. But as pace goes, it is in the slower lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
 
20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Reputation: 19115
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Just to defend my post, I was a cab driver while going to school out there so I think I have a good idea of the city as it really is having driven all over it for years on end. I loved seeing the area improve when Coors Field was built, all the lofts etc and am thrilled that some of those beautiful old houseds in 5 points are being renovated (though note many have bars on doors and windows.) If you really want to get to know the area, drive a taxi there, preferably at night.
I'd bet you cabbies could fill a whole thread with your stories, some hilarious and some tragic. The truck drivers have a thread in the automotive forum for their stories, tips, tricks, and it's approaching 500 posts. Please consider doing the same and starting The Official City-Data Cabbie Thread.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Parker, CO
1,081 posts, read 2,733,414 times
Reputation: 1763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee29 View Post
As someone who grew up in Portland and lived in Seattle and DC before moving here, I will offer up the following comparison.

You can rule out the 16th St Mall. Do you enjoy hanging out at Pikes Market or the Waterfront? 16th St Mall is a lesser version anchored by restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Earls, Yard House, and the Tilted Kilt. Nothing really unique to Denver. Certainly worth a visit, as I walk on it everyday, but it doesn't fit your definition of a hip neighborhood. The nighttime crowd is more likely to be wearing a name tag from the convention center than sporting a pacifier.

Lodo and Rino are interesting enough but are more sterile than exciting. Think Real Housewives type culture when you hear Lodo. Lots of places to drink, clubs, lounges etc. Rino is trying. It is an extension of Lodo that pretends to have more street cred. It has potential but is almost always vacant. There is an occasional art showing or warehouse party/music performance that are pretty cool. But if you don't know where you are going, you are more likely to see tumbleweeds than any action.

The Santa Fe Arts District appears hip one day each month: First Friday. The galleries are plentiful but when are they open? Local artists call it Santa Fake. Another area of Denver which seems to have potential when first viewed but does not live up to the imagination. If you don't live there, you will never go there, unless you want green chile at Taco de Mexico or Santiagos.

South Pearl Street, South Gaylord Street, 32nd and Lowell and Tennyson Street all have coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, etc, however they certainly cater more to the stroller pushing crowd than hipsters.

Cherry Creek North? Don't bother. Open air mall for the country club elite.

Downtown Littleton? Seriously? No.

Cap Hill. Densely packed, overflowing with hipsters. Great park (Cheesman) but a surprising lack of coffee shops/bars. There are a few of course just not as many as you would expect. Like Cap Hill in Seattle but on a much smaller scale. This is the 22-30 neighborhood.

Uptown. Across Colfax from Cap Hill. This is where people move when they've grown weary of Cap Hill and got a raise. (If they have a kid too, they go to the Highlands or Wash Park). Has everything you mentioned but a little short on the arts. Incredibly walkable and the closest to downtown.

Colfax is the gritty heart of Denver. You will find gem dive bars, meth zombies, legless hookers, great music venues, and locals only businesses. Cap Hill and Uptown straddle Colfax. The road itself runs for 26 miles into Aurora in the east and Golden to the west. The area I am referring to is in the shadow of the Capitol.

Baker/South Broadway. The business district here seems more like what you're looking for. Antique and vintage shops, local boutiques, music and food, movies, and more foot traffic than any of the above neighborhoods. Not quite as close to downtown as Uptown.

So in sum, Denver is neither as dull as its haters would say or as cosmopolitan as its promoters would say. The weather is fantastic and the cost is pretty good. But as pace goes, it is in the slower lane.
This post was right on the money.

The only thing I would point out is the sentence regarding the pace of Denver. In my experience, Denver feels quite a bit faster than Portland and comparable to Seattle. Compared to the east coast however, Denver is definately slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,231,943 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee29 View Post

Uptown. Across Colfax from Cap Hill. This is where people move when they've grown weary of Cap Hill and got a raise.
lol! So true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top