U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,488,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I was told it was from the Aspen changing colors making it 'colorful'.
Well it does not--that is just part of advertising. With respect and acknowledgement of your youthful impatience to respond; before you posted, why did you not look it up? We have all the information on the internet and you could easily go to the official State site and find that answer.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if I speak Spanish now would I
Good for you but you were surprised because your implied post would have no meaning. Being an ex-New Yawker, I know that Staten Island shuffle but I love it anyways...it brings back my youth in NYC...ehh, why not, I will give you a rep--
that of a Bronx Cheer
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited by livecontent; 10-09-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 PM

53 posts, read 146,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
Colorado seems like a nice place. I just can't get over how brown and desolate the landscape looks. It's post-appocolyptic. No trees either. Seems like a nice place to visit. But Colorado is too brown for me.
I understand exactly what your saying, everytime I fly back into DIA after a trip back home to Maine I cant help but be depressed at how dry & barren it is here. Now the mountains are beautiful there is no question about that, but a large part of them are very dry as well, this is just a high mountain desert after all. But from the foothills east it is just a desert wasteland compared to New England.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM

8,528 posts, read 7,002,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Good for you but you were surprised because your implied post would have no meaning. Being an ex-New Yawker, I know that Staten Island shuffle but I love it anyways...it brings back my youth in NYC...ehh, why not, I will give you a rep--
that of a Bronx Cheer
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I didn't say it meant colorful. I told the OP to look up the meaning of the word to be surprised. Anything else, you inferred. I'm an ex-Coloradan (sometimes I think I should have stayed).

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
I understand exactly what your saying, everytime I fly back into DIA after a trip back home to Maine I cant help but be depressed at how dry & barren it is here. Now the mountains are beautiful there is no question about that, but a large part of them are very dry as well, this is just a high mountain desert after all. But from the foothills east it is just a desert wasteland compared to New England.
I can also understand, having grown up in the East. I have been here about 33 yrs. I do see that the Mountains are not comparable to the lush mountains of the east and lacks any semblance of extensive beauty of water resources. I can see how the barren high plains of the Great Plains can be very unappealing to many.

Yet, over time, I view Denver as an oasis with a hostile mountains to the west and difficult environment of the high plains to to the east. It is someone comforting that Denver feels like an island of security. It has an isolation that I find attractive, just as island in an ocean.

The advantages of a city surrounded by somewhat a harsh and not all appealing surroundings is that it does help keep the pests of massive population under control, for we will never see big cities in the mountains or east on the plains. The unappealing nature does keep many people from moving here and does cause some people to leave which is just fine.

Yes some people find that the area has grown well out of control with a larger population but it is not comparable to a metro area like NYC, LA, or areas that attracting significantly more population. Nor will it ever be as resources, especially water, would not support such growth.

Denver is the most isolated large city in the United States and gives it an advantage as the main trade and distribution center for the "Great American Desert" over multiple states. We talk about the low population of the mountains and the plains but let us also note that Wyoming to the north is the least populated State in the Country with Cheyenne, the largest city having only a population of about 57,000.

So it is not so nice and too isolated here for many, that makes it much better place for others.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-10-2011 at 12:29 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:35 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,704,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
OP, you're right.

It gets much worse as you go east. I don't know why folks in here feel the need to transcribe their belief systems onto your current experience of this dry state.

If you hang out in Virginia, Georgia, must east of Topeka Kansas, etc., and come here, you wonder where the trees, greenery, water is.

We've got lots of rock and dirt.
Mmmmm...rocks and dirt!

Dem easterners don't know what yer missin!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 AM

13,658 posts, read 13,426,400 times
I dunno. I resisted even visiting Colorado for most of my life, believing much the same thing. I grew up in a wetlands area of Jersey, surrounded by greenery, and believed that all of Colorado was just a barren desert infested with deadly rattlesnakes (Thanks, James Michener!), but I visited Denver for the first time last February and have been living here for the past 6 months. Makes ya think.

In any case, I haven't found it to be true that it's colorless or depressing. I think it's gorgeous. And it's just so amazingly cool to walk out of the FLIPPIN' GROCERY STORE, turn my head and see breathtaking mountains. Hah. Get THAT in Jersey. I find the weather in Jersey to be far more depressing, though I will admit that raising a garden takes A LOT more effort here than back home. Don't know where the OP is from, but Colorado is definitely not depressing and colorless - maybe some parts that I haven't seen yet, but not all of it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,817,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
Colorado seems like a nice place. I just can't get over how brown and desolate the landscape looks. It's post-appocolyptic. No trees either. Seems like a nice place to visit. But Colorado is too brown for me.
Maybe its not for you then. Try Washington or Oregon.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,754,755 times
I can see so much greenery just from my office window in Boulder right now. Trees lining the street, grass, trees and shrubs lining the creek, trees etc climbing up the mountainsides in the distance. I can see more green than anything else! I know a lot of this will be gone in a few weeks but honestly, since May, this year has been one of the greenest I've seen here.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM

If you do not like brown on the plains, you can find many areas that are lush with trees. Much of the trees you see, in and around Denver, have been planted over the past 150 yrs. Yet, there are areas, on the plains, that have lush natural growth of trees, underbrush and greenery.

Arvada an older city to the west of Denver sits on many hills surrounding the Ralston Valley and has many areas that have benefited from more localized precipitation and more natural water bodies and consequently you would be surprised by some lush growth. Here is an example of one of the areas that you can see off West 72nd. just west past Kipling. The main entrance to the Nature Center is North on Garrison past West 68th and takes you through some very interesting areas in a neighborhood called Arvada Hills.

City and Community of Arvada: Majestic View Nature Center

Wheat Ridge, another older city just south of Arvada, surrounds Clear Creek which is one of the largest creeks coming down from the foothills. Along the banks, land has been preserved as the Wheat Ridge Green Belt with trails and parks. The Trail runs all the way west to Golden and east through Jefferson and Adams County to the Platte River and the trails along this river. When I was younger and able, I often biked along this trail as it passes near my home and it is one the most wonderful green area with many parks.

Here is a link that will give you an picture of this amazing dense green growth, on the plains near Denver which describes it as:

"Long portions of the Clear Creek Trail hug the creek margin and lend the feeling of passing through an eastern forest, unusual for the arid climate of the Colorado Front Range."

Clear Creek Trail, Wheat Ridge, Colorado designated National Recreation Trails

There are many more examples in and around Denver and farther out on the plains. So, there are places that you can get your "fix" for more green and a relief from the brown. You do not have to go the mountains for a longer trip, you have many of these spots on the plains that can be enjoyed quickly as they are very near.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-10-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver