U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,590,289 times
This is the most colorful fall I remember, since 2004!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM

78 posts, read 99,312 times
There are some pretty places in Colorado. I do like Arvada. I like how it's an older town. Is Arvada quiet?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM

8,906 posts, read 11,753,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
There are some pretty places in Colorado. I do like Arvada. I like how it's an older town. Is Arvada quiet?
A blend of old and new suburbia really, so I'd say so.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,462,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
I have lived here for about 31 yrs. and Arvada is very quiet and peaceful.

There are no highways that go through Arvada. I-70 and I-76 go through the Northern Part of Wheat Ridge, just south of Arvada Border. In addition, Arvada is not really a city that is crossed, in most, areas, with drivers going through to adjacent cities, except by Wadworth. It sits much by itself on the Northwest quandrant of the Metro area, with no cities to the west--it all foothills of the Rockies with much open space and many reservoirs.

Arvada was started as a separate agricultural community and did not grow out from Denver as a suburbs. Even today, I think it may meet Denver at very small area, perhaps only a few hundred feet at about 52nd. and Sheridan, and it a open space park area, the former Camp Fire Girls camp. Between Denver and Arvada is located a less populated area of Adams County. However, Arvada is still consider a first ring suburbs because many people commute to the city. Yet, Arvada is easy commute to Denver and just a fast trip to the many parks and canyons in the foothills. The vibrancy of Boulder is just up the road. Now, Arvada is privileged to be the recipient of now approved and funded commuter Rail line that will start construction soon to Downtown Denver, The Gold Line, named because Arvada was the place where gold was first discovered in Colorado--and there is some still there, but I ain't going to tell ya where.

There are no great venues or shopping centers or malls where people come from other areas. There is really nothing that would attract crowds other than perhaps the outstanding Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities which in minimal. It is great place to enjoy the Arts, relaxing close in the community Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities: Olde Town remains mostly a quiet little area and is a good walkable area with many shops, antique stores, restaurants and the newly built library Olde Town Arvada

Arvada is noted for its many trails, parks and open space, even in the older areas City and Community of Arvada: Parks and Recreation Be sure to watch the video on the trails,on the upper right. It is built around Ralston Creek which flows from the foothills through Ralston Valley which can be predominately seen in the Western Part of the City. It still has remnants of farms, ranching and there are many horse breeding and equestrian centers to the West. In addition, I want to say, in keeping with the tone of this thread, is well treed and green City and Community of Arvada: Majestic View Nature Center

There really is no bad area of Arvada, even in the older areas. Many neighborhoods are well established with newer developments to the West. All areas have parks and trails that wind through the city. It has tremendous recreational facilities and the largest in the area, Apex Center http://apexprd.org/facilities/apex-center which is part of the extensive facilities of the recreational district http://apexprd.org/ School systems are under the well regarded Jefferson County. I think as a former New Yorker, it has more long term and native Colorado residents of the metro area. That is one of reasons I choose to settle here, I wanted to be around more people of Colorado than just areas that attracted new people.

There are many long term local business and restaurants. It is place where you can go to the local parks and watch a ballgame or soccer and stop for a place to eat in the many family places. There are really no bars and nightclubs that cater to the younger crowd--at the most you would consider them local taverns that are more sedate that do attract the whole family. You will see many people walking and biking along the trails and in the walkable city streets. It is very pedestrian friendly.

I think Arvada's population which is over 100,000 does not really reflect the small town feel of the city. Some people consider Arvada boring but it is really a nice place to get home, away from your work and just enjoy that tranquility.

Check us out
City and Community of Arvada: Welcome to the City and Community of Arvada

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-17-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 PM

506 posts, read 530,378 times
I love the brown fields stretching from the Front Range to the state line. That's my favorite part of Colorado.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,722 posts, read 1,098,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Less trees, brown grass and less water bodies means less precipitation, less moisture which means less snow, more sun and LESS HUMIDITY. That is the big advantage of living on the Great Plains, near the foothills of the Rockies in the Denver Region.

Many people see the stark beauty of less. That is the allure of deserts, bare mountain terrain and treeless grasslands that go on unbroken to the horizon. For seeing less, many people understand more of themselves and the land. To receive the value of less you must know that you do not choose the land, the land must choose you. Once you have been chosen, then you will be able to see and appreciate less but know more.

Livecontent
Wow, that was really interesting.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

234 posts, read 384,804 times
When I first drove out to Denver it was snowing and raining all over CO, the mountains were outrageously EPIC, when we moved out here it was raining and pretty , I was doing a stint in Phoenix for a few months, so coming to CO was a great surprise, a week or 2 later, we start seeing the brown. Still a million times better than Phoenix, and luckily we live on the 10th floor with views of the mountains. When it rains, this city is amazing, when its hot and brown, it is pretty yucky. But those days have not really been around too much.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM

78 posts, read 99,312 times
Arvada sounds like the place for me. I like quiet and open space.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM

208 posts, read 194,810 times
This is my first trip to Denver, here till friday been here since friday. I must have picked the best week to come here.

The vegetation here is really nice. I really love the tall brown grasses along the streams and the yellow leaves everywhere. I'm also amazed to see clear streams. In Atlanta all the streams are brown or full of weeds. I love how there aren't weeds here.

In the deep south, most of the green you see is actually weeds.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM

576 posts, read 701,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
This is my first trip to Denver, here till friday been here since friday. I must have picked the best week to come here.

The vegetation here is really nice. I really love the tall brown grasses along the streams and the yellow leaves everywhere. I'm also amazed to see clear streams. In Atlanta all the streams are brown or full of weeds. I love how there aren't weeds here.

In the deep south, most of the green you see is actually weeds.
To me, the point of the this thread, such as it is, is that it's one thing to visit, and quite another to live there. I've never heard of anyone not liking to visit Colorado. (Atlanta is another story...I've always been horrified by Atlanta's endless sprawl and choked highways, no matter how short the visit. Most of the green in the South from Atlanta on north comes from what are called trees. Further south and esp. toward the coast in GA you have a point - it does get scrubby.)

Last edited by JBPisgah; 10-18-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver