Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,857,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorEngland View Post
Colorful Colorado. Colorado ranges from reds on the Monument in Grand Junction, green in the mountains, yellows in the plains, gray in the city. There are certain areas that are densly wooded, even in the city, and other areas there are no trees for miles. It really depends where you are.
Yeah, but almost everyone lives along the front range, which is really brown compared to anywhere east of the Mississippi. Some like it, some don't, but that's how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Yeah, but almost everyone lives along the front range, which is really brown compared to anywhere east of the Mississippi. Some like it, some don't, but that's how it is.
<sigh>, the 21st Century; where Pluto is no longer a planet and brown is no longer a color.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,252,153 times
The brown, treeless look is more typical of western states. Most cities look similar in that respect. Salt Lake, Alb, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas and many California cities are also pretty brown as well. Within the city of Denver, most areas have tons of trees planted by "man" and you can easily forget about the general landscape (unitl you make the drive to DIA of course ) You want lots of natural trees? Head up into the mountains! There are many high alltitude areas with more trees than one would know what to do with!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
Colorado seems like a nice place. I just can't get over how brown and desolate the landscape looks. It's post-appocolyptic. No trees either. Seems like a nice place to visit. But Colorado is too brown for me.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorEngland View Post
Colorful Colorado. Colorado ranges from reds on the Monument in Grand Junction, green in the mountains, yellows in the plains, gray in the city. There are certain areas that are densly wooded, even in the city, and other areas there are no trees for miles. It really depends where you are.
I would expand that to say most of Colorado is brown, with some specific exceptions in a few areas in the mountains.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Why do some people talk about the place like its SUPPOSE to be green? What people don't realize is the climate is not humid. Its pretty much a desert. If you don't like the dry landscape, just deal with it. Spring will come around soon enough. Denver definently isn't "Brown" year round.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 PM

23 posts, read 94,115 times
too brown for you? come on down to canon city and see land where even the weeds won't grow. Arizona and New Mexico are greener

Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,958,566 times
It's not for everyone if you need lots of green to be happy. Flying into Denver any time except the first half of summer or late spring really exposes the "brownness". I still think it's beautiful here, though.

Lots of areas in the mountains are very green, especially in the southwest part of the state. I love it down there.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 PM

33 posts, read 76,734 times
I guess the grass is always greener so to say - I'm moving from Oregon in a couple months and while I know I'll miss the lushness here I can't wait to get to Colorado for the climate - to see the sun, sky, stars and openness. I can't wait to escape the smell of mildew in all my towels, clothes, car. Mold and mildew grow on everything. The dampness feels extremely oppressive and depressing to me. Yes, it's beautiful here but I cannot take the 8-9 months of rain which is needed to sustain the landscape. I'll take the starkness of the plains and the Rocky Mountains!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM

792 posts, read 2,857,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why do some people talk about the place like its SUPPOSE to be green? What people don't realize is the climate is not humid. Its pretty much a desert. If you don't like the dry landscape, just deal with it. Spring will come around soon enough. Denver definently isn't "Brown" year round.
The reason I comment on it, maybe, is that I've have had a harder time adjusting to the brownness than I thought I would. I didn't really know to take it as a serious issue before I moved. And I've met others who have had the same thing happen. So I think it should be out there more. Not that it's supposed to be different than it is - you just go out there and be the be the best you can be, Denver - but that the brownness can be a bigger deal than people might think whilst in their "thinkin' about moving to Denver and livin' the mountain lifestyle" reverie.

Potential transplant: did that sink in? No? Then hum this little Gilbert and Sullivan ditty:

There's a city on the plains of Kansas
That people say is really swell
But before you strap those skis on
There's something I need to tell (you)

Denver is...

brown, brown, brown, brown, brown,
from the foothills to downtown
they may call it Golden
but the hue beholden
if the truth be told-ennnnn...is...
(repeat)

Dialog:

Lil' missy: (interrupting) Hey, Denver's not in Kansas! You take that back!

Last edited by JBPisgah; 11-14-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,200,445 times
When I first lived in Arizona I found it quite difficult...it was a far cry from growing up in some of the other places I'd lived prior to that...places that were a LOT greener, with very different kind of foliage.

It wasn't until I accepted the place for what it was and started to TRY to enjoy what was there that I became enamored by olive drab and sandy browns that dominate the landscape. Suddenly the awesome power of Saguaro, Mesquite, Sage, Ironwood, Compass-Barrel and Cholla, along with Coyote, Rattlesnake, Jackrabbit and Javelina all started to become an important part of my personal outlook on life. That's when I started to like to the desert. Because I chose to learn about it, accept it for what it was, and try to live with the consequences of living in such a place (the heat, the dryness, the relative sparseness of water, the great distances.)

I think the same should be said of living ANYWHERE, including Colorado. Try making distinctions between different grasses native to the prairie, identify the different types of brush and animals, and their habits and living conditions here. Explore the nature of our local water tables, and how mountain snowmelt and runoff are THE sources, not just for our water, but for so much of the water well downstream from us. Take note of the geology of the region, and how it shapes the flow of that water (because the brown is about the water), and how those tans, khaki's and sepias are a way of dealing with relatively harsh conditions.

You can expand further, though, too. We have tremendous contrasts in color here that a lot of people don't realize. From the front range, the mountains can take on sienna hues while the plains assume mossy yellow greens. In the winter, the peaks turn snowcapped white, the rest of the mountains seem stony gray and the plains revert to their straw browns. This doesn't even take in to account the variation across different parts of the plains, or the reds and ochres you see up close on the hogback, or the different colors of our deserts.

Nope. We're not "green" like the Pacific Northwest or East Coast, but we are colorful, and we have a lot more color and beauty here than is visible at a glance. One just has to be willing to open their eyes and take a close look. It may not be for everyone, but just about anyone can find some surprising beauty here that they probably weren't expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver