U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM

86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The stereotypical Denverite--who is usually a transplant from some other place and buys the Suburu and ski rack because, he or she assumes, everyone else in Colorado does, too--is farsically different than the truly average Denverite. My experience has been that most natives don't ski, but the majority of transplants do. All Coloradans are active, but only tranplants wear their active lifestyle on their sleeve like a badge of honor, as if to say, hey, I have escaped the smog-filled, gang-infested ghettos of Southern California and I'm going to darn-well live it up here in paradise. People who have been here for a while, on the other hand, just take it for what it is, and don't pretend that it makes us any better (or, at least, it doesn't make us way better). In other words, transplants often try too hard to be Coloradan, when in reality very few Coloradans are actually like that.

The true Denverite, of course, will always be the Barrel Man, and I suspect that if you took a street-level survey, most people in Denver would also agree.
My daughters and their friends, mostly natives, love to ski.

The majority of transplants are from the midwest. Not all of Southern California is gang-infested ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM

84 posts, read 185,669 times
I love that this post has taken on a life of its own! Great responses! Can't wait to check out the area, the "natives," and the transplants for myself once we move there, despite the fact that I've never been skiing and hate cold weather. Will I be out of place driving a Cabrio? lol

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,710,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
Actauly I have driven in Phoenix...and am moving there in 3 weeks for the winter. Also in Vegas, NYC, Boston and many more....Denver drivers suck...period.
Hopefully you are a well balanced individual not prone to responding to road rage Otherwise you will be quite upset by those in Phoenix that love to traverse the gore zone, hate to signal and never think you're going fast enough, no matter how over the limit you already are in the right lane.

On a side note, I hope Phoenix is your kind of home and I genuinely wish you well!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,600 times
[quote=GoneNative;21275554]The stereotypical Denverite--who is usually a transplant from some other place and buys the Suburu and ski rack because, he or she assumes, everyone else in Colorado does, too--is farsically different than the truly average Denverite. My experience has been that most natives don't ski, but the majority of transplants do. All Coloradans are active, but only tranplants wear their active lifestyle on their sleeve like a badge of honor, as if to say, hey, I have escaped the smog-filled, gang-infested ghettos of Southern California and I'm going to darn-well live it up here in paradise. People who have been here for a while, on the other hand, just take it for what it is, and don't pretend that it makes us any better (or, at least, it doesn't make us way better). In other words, transplants often try too hard to be Coloradan, when in reality very few Coloradans are actually like that.

scott5280

This front range native grew up in Arvada,Boulder,Littleton. I was raised skiing,snowboarding,cycling,rock climbing,trail running..spent summers surfing in Southern California..The majority of native Denverites I grew up with know their way around the ski slope better than 95% of the US population. I haven't a clue what your talking about. And yes I own a subaru and a Land Rover both have racks with all the outdoor sports bells and whistles. On the flip side So. Cal. especially coastal OC is far from any gang infested ghetto..some of these posts have become legendary fiction...........................

Last edited by Scott5280; 10-17-2011 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM

778 posts, read 2,244,831 times
When I walk around, I see a lot of people down and out who don't look like regular skiers. I see them in Breakfast King and the Englewood Walmart. A good half the population will never be able to afford a Subaru. That's part of Denver, too.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
The one Denver driving habit that drives me nuts is the unwillingness of many to get out into the intersection when waiting to turn left.
That's the only thing I've noticed as well, and it drives me crazy!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:17 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The stereotypical Denverite--who is usually a transplant from some other place and buys the Suburu and ski rack because, he or she assumes, everyone else in Colorado does, too--is farsically different than the truly average Denverite. My experience has been that most natives don't ski, but the majority of transplants do. All Coloradans are active, but only tranplants wear their active lifestyle on their sleeve like a badge of honor, as if to say, hey, I have escaped the smog-filled, gang-infested ghettos of Southern California and I'm going to darn-well live it up here in paradise. People who have been here for a while, on the other hand, just take it for what it is, and don't pretend that it makes us any better (or, at least, it doesn't make us way better). In other words, transplants often try too hard to be Coloradan, when in reality very few Coloradans are actually like that.

The true Denverite, of course, will always be the Barrel Man, and I suspect that if you took a street-level survey, most people in Denver would also agree.
What's the "barrel man"?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,632,052 times
If you live in the Front Range and never go to the mountians, you should probably move out to make room for those of us who love them!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM

181 posts, read 519,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
If you live in the Front Range and never go to the mountians, you should probably move out to make room for those of us who love them!
Why? Is it a requirement?

N.B. My great-grandparents came to Denver in 1892.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:59 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What's the "barrel man"?
He's the guy several posts back wearing nothing more than a barrel (in Broncos colors). He passed away a year/two ago.

The Barrel Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
If you pay for me and my family to move out, we will move out immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or