U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,650,569 times

Advertisements

Gotta love people who live here and can't wait to leave! :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,781,252 times
Hmm I can't think of anything-born and raised in Denver but have since moved..so from Jeff Foxworthy-you know you are a Coloradoan if:
You know what the 'Peoples Republic of Boulder' means.
Your sense of direction is: towards the mountains and away from the mountains.

The bike on your car is worth more than your car and you have your own special bike lane.
You're able to drive 65 miles per hour through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without even flinching but can't drive over 25 when it's raining

Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,638,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
The one Denver driving habit that drives me nuts is the unwillingness of many to get out into the intersection when waiting to turn left.
I understand this, but at the same time, there are certain intersections where I just won't do this, and would prefer to wait for the arrow to make my turn, even if it means that the drivers behind me will be inconvenienced and have to wait a few minutes. It's better than causing an accident. For instance, making a left turn onto E Florida Avenue from S Parker Road (which I did yesterday) can be a bit dangerous, especially because there are usually four or five cars that pass through the intersection after the light turns red, and the speed limit in that area is 45MPH.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 10-23-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 PM

884 posts, read 1,524,999 times
Quote:
Why? Is it a requirement?

N.B. My great-grandparents came to Denver in 1892.
Well, at least appreciate the view.

The ones who live here and either A) don't use the mountains or B) don't appreciate the awesome view kind of annoy me. There are many others that would love to take their spot, so maybe they should go somewhere else if they don't need mountains to be happy.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM

20,915 posts, read 39,207,929 times
Quote:
The one Denver driving habit that drives me nuts is the unwillingness of many to get out into the intersection when waiting to turn left.
The space inside the boundaries of an intersection is referred to as 'the box' by traffic safety experts who advise that we stay out of the box until the way is clear. Many people get out there as far as they can, with their wheels turned to the left, and if someone hits them in the back end then that guy in the box gets shoved right into the path of an oncoming car. Or semi.

I stay behind that wide solid white border, out of the box and so I'm not blocking the crosswalk.

I try to avoid the danger of getting caught in the box when the light changes and then having to hurry up and clear the box. The problem here is that if you are crossing 3 lanes of oncoming traffic, and you can see that two lanes of cars have come to a stop, can you see what the guy in the third lane is doing? If he's running the light at the moment you are trying to clear the box, you get T-Boned by a guy who is accelerating, often times causing notable injuries or death to your passenger on that side of the car. This scenario is especially bad at night when there are tons of cars and it's much easier to not notice that one set of headlights charging through at the last second.

With 45+ years and well over a million miles of mostly urban commuting, I've learned to limit my exposure to risks.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-23-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
^^What he said. I learned, all those years ago in driver's ed in Pennsylvania, that one did not turn the wheels to the left until it was safe to complete the turn.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Well, at least appreciate the view.

The ones who live here and either A) don't use the mountains or B) don't appreciate the awesome view kind of annoy me. There are many others that would love to take their spot, so maybe they should go somewhere else if they don't need mountains to be happy.
Sorry, but I disagree. In order to live here, or like it here, one has to be madly in love with the mountains or their view? There aren't other things to like about Denver (family, weather, cost-of-living, lack of traffic {relative}, housing styles, downtown, neighborhoods, parks, etc)?

I like the mountains (don't use them that often though), and I like the view to the west, especially in fall, winter, and early spring. But there are plenty of other things I like, and don't like.

Denver isn't the only city with mountains in the backyard. Every major city west of here has mountains in its backyard too, so Denver isn't that special in that regard (okay, maybe to somebody that didn't grow up with mountains or ever see any before -- but there are plenty of other mountain-view city options).

What about the guy who was born and grew up here, played football for a local high school, met his wife here, has all his friends and family here, works here, loves the Broncos, and loves living here? But wait, he prefers a more tropical climate, and could care less about the mountains. He should leave?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,650,569 times
^^ Yup.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 PM

136 posts, read 407,936 times
So...you think that people who don't love the mountains need to move away? and the state is only reserved for people that ski and snowboard?..Really??

@David Aguilar you are absolutely welcome to continue live and thrive in this great state as much as the next person, in fact I'm giving you extra credit for being a native, and bonus points for being a Broncos fan.

Remember that we are talking stereotypes here. They wouldn't exist without people who emulate them and further perpetuate that stereotype. The people on this board bragging about their ski-racks and Subarus etc, and flaunting how "Colorado" they act, in an effort to appear better then everyone else are merely clones of the stereotype. If you think that everybody who lives in Colorado has to love the mountains and be an extreme sport enthusiast to remain here or else they need to move away, you need a reality check. Get off your high horses and recognize that most folks you meet in day to day life out here will fill that large void between stereotypical "Colorado guy" and just as equally stereotypical "I've never been to the mountains guy."

Listen, I was born and raised here, I like being up in the mountains doing my thing as much as the next person, but I would never, ever, question someones right to live here, or suggest that they leave, just because they don't share my passion for the mountains and outdoors: that's rude and short-sighted.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:41 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonik View Post
@David Aguilar you are absolutely welcome to continue live and thrive in this great state as much as the next person, in fact I'm giving you extra credit for being a native, and bonus points for being a Broncos fan.
Hah! Convert in both cases (from CA, have watched the Broncos every week I've been here {since 2007}). Thank you.

Maybe there are two stereotypes:

-Exhibit A, the guy I outlined in my post (the born and raised guy). Let's imagine him to be slightly overweight with dirty clothes and a hard hat on. A great guy though.

-Exhibit B, the guy in all the little frou frou skiwear in his Subaru. :side whisper: Guy is probably a transplant, and talks about things that would be of little interest to me (at least).

I guess it depends on what circles you run in, on which you'll encounter more. I meet Exhibit A often enough, and B hardly ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or