U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM

20,904 posts, read 39,179,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
... I ate my own words.
Ya want BBQ sauce or Fries with that?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM

2,591 posts, read 6,002,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
. . . I ate my own words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
nah - smothered in green chile.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,718,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thought it was the Cheeseburger we were famous for. Best mention beer as something to wash it down with.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reatlor21 View Post
..and no not everyone ... drives a subaru.
I think compared to other areas of the country, it's safe to say that everyone here drives a Subaru. I'd almost call it ridiculous - I was in Fort Collins a couple weeks ago with a friend of mine and he started pointing them out. He didn't shut up for 10 minutes, and that was only from pointing out Subarus.

I'm sure there are people down in Oklahoma or something who don't even know what a Subaru is!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
When I walk around, I see a lot of people down and out who don't look like regular skiers. I see them in Breakfast King and the Englewood Walmart. A good half the population will never be able to afford a Subaru. That's part of Denver, too.
Well, I think most people in the Denver area are found at the Breakfast King and Wal-Mart. Those people are actually working hard for their families rather than tooling around on the internet pretending that they own Subarus are ski every weekend.

Let's be honest, unless you're living in a pathetic little bubble, you don't see the average Denverite driving Subarus while wearing North Face on the way to "Breck." That is definitely a subsection of Denver--comprised of mostly transplants--but it's certainly not the majority. I think that a handful of people live in cute, insular bubbles of yuppie bliss in places like Boulder, Stapleton, etc. When you describe the rest of Colorado (or even metro Denver) they act like you're talking about Mars.

Frankly, if you don't get outside of the city of Denver (and, no, travelling I-70 between your home and Summit County doesn't count), you'll never get why the average "Denver guy" has probably never gone skiing and wears a #15 Broncos jersey, not North Face.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Hah! Convert in both cases (from CA, have watched the Broncos every week I've been here {since 2007}). Thank you.

Maybe there are two stereotypes:

-Exhibit A, the guy I outlined in my post (the born and raised guy). Let's imagine him to be slightly overweight with dirty clothes and a hard hat on. A great guy though.

-Exhibit B, the guy in all the little frou frou skiwear in his Subaru. :side whisper: Guy is probably a transplant, and talks about things that would be of little interest to me (at least).

I guess it depends on what circles you run in, on which you'll encounter more. I meet Exhibit A often enough, and B hardly ever.

Exactly right. Oddly enough I've found Exhibit B predominates at mainly two places: They were all over the place when I was an undergrad at CU-Boulder and, of course, many of them were from far, far away from Colorado. The other place is DIA. And they too were usually from places like Texas, Ohio, etc. and actually believed that you can learn about Colorado by watching the Real World. It's no surprise, then, that so many people leave Denver after living here for only a few years. Either you get real and get with it or you realize that this is actually not one giant REI store and move homes.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM

339 posts, read 1,094,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Let's be honest, unless you're living in a pathetic little bubble, you don't see the average Denverite driving Subarus while wearing North Face on the way to "Breck."
They may not be driving a Suby, but more than likely they have a Yakima roof rack or a bike rack hanging from the backside.

I see cars here that in most states, you'd never see equipped with such garbage. Like dude, you just turned that Nissan/Acura 'White' LOL. I've considered that if I ever want to get into biking that I'd better get one of those, but I'm afraid if I leave the state anywhere points east people will laugh at me.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
Well, I think most people in the Denver area are found at the Breakfast King and Wal-Mart. Those people are actually working hard for their families rather than tooling around on the internet pretending that they own Subarus are ski every weekend.

Let's be honest, unless you're living in a pathetic little bubble, you don't see the average Denverite driving Subarus while wearing North Face on the way to "Breck." That is definitely a subsection of Denver--comprised of mostly transplants--but it's certainly not the majority. I think that a handful of people live in cute, insular bubbles of yuppie bliss in places like Boulder, Stapleton, etc. When you describe the rest of Colorado (or even metro Denver) they act like you're talking about Mars.

Frankly, if you don't get outside of the city of Denver (and, no, travelling I-70 between your home and Summit County doesn't count), you'll never get why the average "Denver guy" has probably never gone skiing and wears a #15 Broncos jersey, not North Face.
^ Excellent post BTW.

Quote:
Exactly right. Oddly enough I've found Exhibit B predominates at mainly two places: They were all over the place when I was an undergrad at CU-Boulder and, of course, many of them were from far, far away from Colorado. The other place is DIA. And they too were usually from places like Texas, Ohio, etc. and actually believed that you can learn about Colorado by watching the Real World. It's no surprise, then, that so many people leave Denver after living here for only a few years. Either you get real and get with it or you realize that this is actually not one giant REI store and move homes.
Haha, before I moved here from CA this girl I knew said "Denver!?!?!?!?!, you're going to have so much fun!" And I'm like, "Why?", and of course she goes on to mention The Real World.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:13 AM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:

I DO see a lot of Subarus, right here in my little 'hood. Ditto lots of North Face. I don't own a Subaru, but I do own a North Face jacket. I don't understand why some "native" Coloradans like to brag that they don't ski. As I said, my YA kids and their friends all like to ski, and most of them are CO natives (including my own anchor baby kids, as David dubbed them once). I can't stand Tim Tebow.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 PM

221 posts, read 459,468 times
I lived up there for 6 years and still go back a lot. My main base in Phoenix now.

So anyway . . ..

Denver people dress in layers.
They like to talk about healthfood and exercise and healing rituals and green lifestyle, but they eat hotwings, watch a lot of TV, and use a lot of gas idling on I-70 going to and coming back from Summit County.
Denver people think that THC is a vitamin.
They are generally too drunk or stoned to take politics seriously. They want to be mellow.
This isn't really bad, because it at least gives them the appearance of laid-back friendliness. And it is a rather friendly city.
They can't decide whether dogs are more important than children. And that's if they have children.
Women in Denver seem to have a stronger sex drive. It's probably something to do with the altitude.

Just my thoughts. . . . ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or