Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 AM

84 posts, read 220,388 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Denver area soon. We told that to someone recently and they said "Oh, you'll fit right in. You look like you could be from Denver. You guys look just like a Denver people!" I said "Thanks... I think... ??" What does that mean? What is the typical Denver stereotype? What do you think someone would say or think the "typical" or "stereotypical" Denverite (is this the right term) would look like?

Before you say it: I know, I know, there are all kinds of people in Denver. That is why I am asking for the stereotype and not an actual description of someone from Denver. For example, I would describe the LA stereotype as an aspiring actress with blonde hair who says "like" a lot and carries a big expensive bag and etc etc etc. I know that there are lots of other people and types of people who would fit in and blah blah blah.

Just play along here: let's go for the stereotype. I'm just trying to figure out what that guy meant when he said that because as of present I have no image of a "typical" Denver person in my mind and I'm curious what the stereotype is. Plus, it's kinda fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I picture someone driving a Subaru outback with Jack Johnson songs playing on the radio. They are wearing jeans, a black North Face vest and Keens or Merrells. This outfit is worn to the mall, the park, the symphony, a fancy restaurant and church. They drink micro-brew beer instead of wine or cocktails and shop at Whole Foods for their groceries. They have a couple of labrador retrievers who are like their children. They are friendly but at the same time standoffish.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I picture someone driving a Subaru outback with Jack Johnson songs playing on the radio. They are wearing jeans, a black North Face vest and Keens or Merrells. This outfit is worn to the mall, the park, the symphony, a fancy restaurant and church. They drink micro-brew beer instead of wine or cocktails and shop at Whole Foods for their groceries. They have a couple of labrador retrievers who are like their children. They are friendly but at the same time standoffish.

That's about right. S/he also brags about how many 14ers (14,000 ft. mountains) s/he has climbed, how many double black diamond (most, most difficult) runs s/he has skiied, OR brags that s/he only does telemark.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:

This and you could add two kiddos to this and the description would be the same for a parent of a family of four. Also the stereotype would have one sports hobby they're really into -- rock climbing, biking, tennis, running, frisbee golf, etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
There are so many different types I don't think there is a stereotype here. I know a lot of people in Denver who could care less about anything outdoors, never go into the mountains, etc..

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 AM

53 posts, read 176,234 times
I think that denver is to diverse to sterotype anyone person. Like most big cities there are people from all walks of life here...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
There are so many different types I don't think there is a stereotype here. I know a lot of people in Denver who could care less about anything outdoors, never go into the mountains, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
I think that denver is to diverse to sterotype anyone person. Like most big cities there are people from all walks of life here...
Keep in mind this is what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalina View Post
We are moving to the Denver area soon. We told that to someone recently and they said "Oh, you'll fit right in. You look like you could be from Denver. You guys look just like a Denver people!" I said "Thanks... I think... ??" What does that mean? What is the typical Denver stereotype? What do you think someone would say or think the "typical" or "stereotypical" Denverite (is this the right term) would look like?

Before you say it: I know, I know, there are all kinds of people in Denver. That is why I am asking for the stereotype and not an actual description of someone from Denver. For example, I would describe the LA stereotype as an aspiring actress with blonde hair who says "like" a lot and carries a big expensive bag and etc etc etc. I know that there are lots of other people and types of people who would fit in and blah blah blah.

Just play along here: let's go for the stereotype. I'm just trying to figure out what that guy meant when he said that because as of present I have no image of a "typical" Denver person in my mind and I'm curious what the stereotype is. Plus, it's kinda fun.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
Dorthy nailed it.

As for the buzzkills who insist that there are no such things as stereotypes in Denver due to its diversity, relax. Identifying stereotypes in this context is just to illustrate some common behaviors, attributes, prototypical nature that people might have in a certain area.

It does not mean that everyone is like this, it just means that many people are and if you have lived in Denver for any lenght of time, you can easily see it.

I actually think Denver is an easy city to describe a stereotypical profile because many of the people who have moved there have done so because of specific lifestyle and recreation options.

Stereotype is not a naughty word, forming your opinions of individuals and treating them differently based on stereotypes is where you find problems.

Quote:

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:

All I have to say is

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Definitely agree with the people who mentioned North Face, Keen, and other outdoor wear, like Patagonia stuff. It was one thing I sort of joked about when I first moved here -- it seemed like EVERYONE had at least one North Face jacket!

And I guess I assimilated, because I now own a lighter North Face jacket and a Patagonia winter jacket that I bought on closeout for nearly half price! (and I love it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver