U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 16,165 times

Advertisements

I am embarrassed to say this...I am an adult and don't ride a bicycle. Haven't ridden on since my childhood. After moving to Denver, I want to ride. How can I learn bicycling and ride the many trails here? are there bike riding classes? or do I just rent a bike and learn on my own (?) and see how it goes? Any suggestions?

Last edited by SamIamtoo; 05-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: missed a punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,056,597 times
To pull out the old saying.... picking it up again is "like riding a bike"

Sorry... but it's not hard. As someone who loves the idea of riding a bike, but just can't seem to make it work with my real life, find something COMFORTABLE to ride. Take your time, forget looks or status, if it's not comfortable, you won't ride it. Think about what you'll be doing with the bike the Majority of the time (riding to stores/work/on weekends for fun/up mountains/etc...), and buy the bike that can do that for you. I've had both road bikes and mountain bikes in the past, and they just were NOT the right tool for the job (a cruiser with baskets... for "stuff").

If you're not comfortable, you won't ride. So get comfortable.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,115,239 times
Welcome | Denver Bike Sharing

You could try borrowing a bike from one of the kiosks that are placed around town. I know there's one in Cherry Creek on Columbine between 2nd and 3rd Ave for sure, and I've seen others but don't remember the exact locations off hand.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,407,369 times
Don't know what part of Denver, but the guys at Campus Cycles down Evans from DU are astonishingly knowledgable nice guys. If you're in the area you might stop in and ask them. They are very pro cycling (not just because it's good for business) and would probably love to offer you some advice on getting into cycling.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 AM

896 posts, read 163,776 times
What about training wheels? It worked when we were kids.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM

68 posts, read 26,470 times
http://www.tricyclereview.info/images/tricycle-adults.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 AM

482 posts, read 582,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Welcome | Denver Bike Sharing

You could try borrowing a bike from one of the kiosks that are placed around town. I know there's one in Cherry Creek on Columbine between 2nd and 3rd Ave for sure, and I've seen others but don't remember the exact locations off hand.
yes, these bikes have a low center of gravity and are incredibly stable so they would be good to learn on. that said, you will probably still need a friend along side you to prop you up as you learn. also, you can only check them out for 30 minutes at a time without paying extra, but they will probably still be cheaper than an all day rental from a bike shop.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,106,105 times
You should just buy a bike and try it out. As long as you have some open, flat space where you can practice at first you'll do fine. Since I hate doing bicycle machanics and I like to ride hard, I used to go to salvation army every yeaand buy a 'new' bike there for a few bucks and then just give it away when it got thrashed. Now that I've upgraded to bonafide mtn. bikes I do have to pay a mechanic to service it a couple times a year. The point is, you can probably find a cheapo bike at someplace like goodwill or salvation army and upgrade later.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 587,272 times
How about going to a store and just sitting on a stationary bike to get the feel of how to sit and pedal? Be prepared though, no matter what you do, you will eventually take a tumble on a real one. Don't practice on the grass; it is not smooth and the grass gives resistance. You can get a 7 day free pass on-line at Bally's and 24 hour fitness and try their stationary bikes.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 3,485,714 times
I love bikes, always ride, always have a bike, irregardless of how many cars I own...

Sometimes I ride them out of economic nessicity, other times cause I just enjoy the open air...and excercise...

In the urban area I now habitate...the only people you see riding bikes are those inner city males, who can't get drivers license, so instead ride around on pawn shop bikes...

But where I live, you rarely see people riding out of recreation...

I live in a 'hoodish' area...but still love to ride when I can...not cause I have to, but cause I like to...

And I have a nice Schwinn I purchased at Sports Authority...excellent beach/urban bike...it's super resistant to rust...

I love bike riding...and will do it until I physically can't...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver