Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM

156 posts, read 717,858 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Texas, Minnesota, Oklahoma and Kansas before moving to CO in 2009...my DH's job has relocated us many times, but we're never leaving Colorado. That's how much we love it here. DH's company tried to transfer him to Texas last spring, so he found another job, lol.

When we bought our home 2.5 years ago, we couldn't find what we wanted in the $300,000 range...we really tried. We kept upping it, and finally ended up purchasing one for a bit under $450,000K. We had an appraisal done this past March when we were first approached about relocating, and were relieved to find that our home had held's it's value, considering what is going on the rest of the country. So, housing is not cheap here, but I'm sure there are deals to be had on foreclosures and short sales...we just couldn't find any of those that met our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:30 PM

171 posts, read 582,044 times
Wife and I moved to Denver 2 years ago from So Cal. In just about every way, we like Denver more. The quality of life here compared to California is just so much higher. Taxes are less, traffic is way less, people are more laid-back, you have the outdoors, etc. If you like hiking or biking, you'll LOVE it here.

Two things I miss....
1. The great weather. I could really do without driving in the snow (I HATE it)
2. The restaurants. California has some really great food

That being said, even if the cost of housing were the same (which it's not), my wife and I wouldn't move back to California. Our life is just too good here.

Good luck.

PS - we actually live in Highlands Ranch, a suburb of Denver. House cost $430K. We saw that equivalent houses in So Cal would go for about $800K when we were house-shopping in both regions

Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 AM

25 posts, read 36,641 times
I moved here five years ago from Washington DC. I lived in the Pacific NW before DC. I absolutely love the climate in Colorado. Winters here are mild in my opinion. It might dump snow but it doesn't stick around for that long. There are exceptions of course, but I much prefer the dry and sunny climate. 30 degrees in Denver feels warmer than a rainy 45 degrees in Portland. I have even played tennis outside in January.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM

254 posts, read 513,411 times
I also love it here. I moved from the Midwest, so still experience sticker shock every month when I pay the mortgage. Yes, I knew the cost of living would be higher, but it's a challenge for me. YMMV depending on where you are relocating from. I love the weather, the hiking, the beauty, the cultural options, the weather. Oh and did I mention the weather?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Ok, we aren't a young couple by far (when we lived there we were in our early later 50's), but we liked it quite a bit. We had a house in Parker and done a number of things during the summer months including going to RMNP (for the elk rut and up Trail Ridge Road to the highest point in North America driveable by car), rodeo's, Denver Zoo (great one), etc. Had some rough winters though, driving thru "whiteout" conditions and some awefully cold temps. I had two surgeries there that the winters just weren't compatible with......had to sell house, quit our jobs and move. Lived there for 5 1/2 yrs.

Would we recommend a move to Denver metro, oh yes, BUT, have to remember that it can get mighty cold and snowy there at times!
If we could afford it, we'd have two homes, one here in Florida and another in Parker, CO for the summers!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, we aren't a young couple by far (when we lived there we were in our early later 50's), but we liked it quite a bit. We had a house in Parker and done a number of things during the summer months including going to RMNP (for the elk rut and up Trail Ridge Road to the highest point in North America driveable by car), rodeo's, Denver Zoo (great one), etc. Had some rough winters though, driving thru "whiteout" conditions and some awefully cold temps. I had two surgeries there that the winters just weren't compatible with......had to sell house, quit our jobs and move. Lived there for 5 1/2 yrs.

Would we recommend a move to Denver metro, oh yes, BUT, have to remember that it can get mighty cold and snowy there at times!
If we could afford it, we'd have two homes, one here in Florida and another in Parker, CO for the summers!
Mount Evans is the highest point drive able by car

It's like 2,000FT higher than trail ridge road

Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Ok, just looked it up and it says that Trail Ridge Road is the highest PAVED road in North America. All we know was that it was high up in RMNP and no guard rails on the road.......YIKES!. I drove up and told my wife "don't look down!". We were above treeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Mount Evans is the highest point drive able by car

It's like 2,000FT higher than trail ridge road

Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Trail Ridge Road is the highest... and no guard rails on the road... I drove up and told my wife "don't look down!
True. "reaches a maximum elevation of 12,183 ft"
Trail Ridge Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, for "don't look down", you should drive the U.S. Route 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which peaks at Red Mountain Pass, elevation 11,018 ft.

You won't notice that it is 1160 feet lower than Trail Ridge Road.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM

171 posts, read 582,044 times
Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuous paved road in NA. Mount Evans is the highest non-continuous paved road in NA - and higher than Trail Ridge.

If you thought TRR was scary, don't drive Mount Evans! It's twice as bad as TRR. Very narrow in certain spots with lots of hairpin turns. TRR is a leisurely drive in comparison.

Quote:
Ok, just looked it up and it says that Trail Ridge Road is the highest PAVED road in North America. All we know was that it was high up in RMNP and no guard rails on the road.......YIKES!. I drove up and told my wife "don't look down!". We were above treeline.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyReward View Post
Really it just depend on what you're coming from.
So true - one's perspective naturally determines one's perception. My friends who came to Denver in the mid-90's from Michigan loved it, but were appalled at the high-cost of housing. I, who came to Denver in the mid-90's from coastal California, loved it and was overjoyed at the endless possibilities of affordable real-estate options once I managed the difficult task of finding reliable income. Denver is what it is ... yet it was our vastly different ways of looking at it that made all the difference.

Denver is a truly great city. For me, however, the Denver traffic became too much of a grind on a daily basis and, at the time, real estate prices were doubling faster than my income was rising. I found a smaller city like Colorado Springs was a perfect fit. Twelve minute daily commute from nice affordable house in the foothills to downtown office. 60-90 minute drive up to Denver a few times a year for various things. Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver