U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 20,670 times

Advertisements

What are the demographics like in the city? Please don't take this the wrong way, but are there a lot of African-Americans and Hispanics and Asians in the city? I'm trying to get out of California!
Also, what's the economy like? I'm graduating next year from college with a degree in Accounting. Can I find a decent, well-paying job in the area? (By the way, I'm an older college student; in my high 30s.)
And what's the deal with the apartment rents? I'm trying not to spend more than $1200/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gould View Post
What are the demographics like in the city?
Front Range Race/Ethnicity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_...sity_in_Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gould View Post
And what's the deal with the apartment rents? I'm trying not to spend more than $1200/month.
PadMapper.com

Old 10-26-2011, 04:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,324,253 times
I love living in Denver. I moved here this past Jan. from a small town in VA. Everyone is very friendly. I found a job fairly quickly working in the city making a lot more money than I did at home. One thing I'm not fond of is the traffic. It takes me about an hour sometimes each way to and from work living 20 miles north of the city. But it's all relative. I come from somewhere with no traffic, so for me the traffic is extreme, but for someone from DC or LA it's probably a lot better. I was really hesitant to move here because I hate cold and snow. So far it's not really any colder than VA. I find the cold more tolerable because the snow melts fast when it does come and it's sunny over 300 days of the year here.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 PM

13 posts, read 18,785 times
Hi Scott....I'm kinnnnd of in the same boat as you....I'm also thinking of relocating. Although I'm not from there, I've done some research on some stuff.

Apartments are definitely WAY cheaper than Cali. I've been looking at 2-bedroom apartments right outside of Denver in the suburbs and found some decent ones, with a pool, in a nice setting, ranging from $900 to $1200. The $1200 and up apartments are basically considered luxury ones. I was shocked because where I am in California a 2-bedroom apartment starts at $1800. And it's not that great...and definitely no pool. The ones in Denver can be cheaper and can be more expensive but that depends on what neighborhood of course.

Demographics, not sure since I've never actually been there, but from what I've read on these forums, it's not that diverse here....mostly white. However, I did hear the biggest minority is Hispanic..how big? not sure what "big" is to locals. I don't care either way 'cause I like some diversity...to each his own!

But check out these posts on these forums..they're very informnative....good luck !

Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweeethome View Post
We're thinking of moving to Denver. We've heard all this great stuff about it, basically it sounds too good to be true! Great schools, affordable housing (can get a nice house in nice neighborhood for under 300k), great weather (sunny days), and scenery is beautiful.

So, my question is, for those of you who actually made the move and you're settled in whether it be a few months now or a few years........was it worth it? Does it live up to the hype?
I think it is all relative, and it depends on what you are looking for. Personally, it seems like an almost perfect fit for my family. The weather is better than where we came from most of the time. It is a bigger city, than our old one, so it has more to do. We like to ski and hike.

We've been here for 4.5 years, and it was a good move for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or