U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 AM

5,757 posts, read 9,438,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
alpine skiing, cross country, snow shoeing,
so ... skiing

Quote:
snowmobiling,
not an exercise

Quote:
ice climbing
Know anybody who does this? I don't.

Quote:
and for most of the winter you can still run and bike.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,304,611 times
Ever heard of the Ouray ice climbing festival? Sure it's not as big as skiing but a lot of people are into it.

Getting adapted is easy, moved here from Florida and it's nothing really. Since it's dry cold I think it's actually better here on a number of days than back in FL. Went back for Xmas last year and it was 20-30 in FL at night and I thought it was much colder than here with the same temperature.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,851,125 times
The ice climbing in Ouray is great exercise, but Ouray is a l-o-n-g drive from Denver.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM

339 posts, read 1,091,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water*Flower View Post
-Has anyone moved there from warm climates and felt like they made a mistake because their freezing their butts off?
-How many of you want to move to escape the snow/cold?
-Are bars and restaurants still poppin' when its snowing/slush/freezing?
No, no and kind of...

I moved BACK to a warm climate and regretted it! I was in Florida December to January this year and felt depressed because of no snow for Christmas. Even though I lived 20 years without ever seeing any.

People still go out when it's freezing. They have coat checks in most bars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I have lived here 30+ years and do not own a coat. Coats are against the law in greater Denver.

It is snowing outside today with 8+ inches in my back yard. I am wearing shorts and a golf shirt.
LOL, don't pay him no mind. I find people in Denver under-dress in cold weather in comparison with people on the east coast cities. And 30+ years is called acclimation to climate. When you come from Florida, 40 is freezing. But here it's drier so it doesn't feel as cold (guy I know who skis says 40 in Florida felt extremely cold in comparison to even 0 here). Add in the sea breezes...

I like the cold and snow, it gives me an excuse to break out my biggest and furriest coat in the closet. So I'm never really cold unless it dips to -0.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

11 posts, read 13,531 times
The wife and I moved here from Fort Lauderdale last year and love it. The weather is great most of the time and definitely beats the heat and humidity of South Florida (the people are much nicer and laid back too!). The cold is a little bit of a pain, especially with a toddler but it's really no big deal and pretty easy to get used to. Coming from South Florida, I had huge misconceptions about the weather here...yes, it snows in Denver but it's typically dry and sunny outside making it much nicer than you would imagine. It's not nearly as dreaded as the media would have you believe. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,854,360 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I've lived in warm climates all my life, Miami, Caribbean, Spain for a while. I hardly own any coats or closed toe shoes and "layering" is a foreign concept to me.
With that being said, Im living here in Miami, and hate it. The people are disgusting and rude and lack social grace. My last visit to Denver was in July, it was such an amazing experience, people were so friendly and welcoming. From the first day I was there walking around down town, I felt like I could really fit in......except for one thing. The weather.
Ive never lived in snow before.

-Does it make life difficult/hard to deal with?
Well in the worst case scenario, it could be impossible for you to leave your home for days, or to get home if you are not there already. So yes I'd say it can be difficult or hard to deal with.

Quote:
-Since Denver is such an active/fit city, what do athletes and those who
exercise do when its snowing?
Skying.

Quote:
-Has anyone moved there from warm climates and felt like they made a mistake because their freezing their butts off?
No, but I moved to a warm climate to get away from it, and I don't regret it..

Quote:
-How many of you want to move to escape the snow/cold?
I did that.

Quote:
-Are bars and restaurants still poppin' when its snowing/slush/freezing
Normally businesses aren't effected by snow. However if road conditions are poor enough, employees wont be able to get to work. Result, the business won't have enough employees to open. Which doesn't really matter, since most customers also wouldn't be able to get there anyway.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I moved here from VA this past January. I HATE snow and I don't like cold weather, but Denver is such a great city I think it's worth it. No one really bats an eye here when it snows unless it's 3 feet! Everyone goes about their normal activities, maybe even more so. I haven't found Denver to be nearly as cold as everyone thinks it is.
You haven't experienced cold in Denver yet. For example, multiple days with below zero high temperatures.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM

86,920 posts, read 102,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You haven't experienced cold in Denver yet. For example, multiple days with below zero high temperatures.
Please document when this last happened, and how often it has happened in say, the last 20 years.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please document when this last happened, and how often it has happened in say, the last 20 years.
Obviously it hasn't happened as often in the last 20 years, due to global warming. That doesn't chance the fact that it can and does happen. You can't spend one or two mild winters in Denver, and use that as an indication that it doesn't get cold in Denver. Just saying.

Jan. 11-14, 1997 -- 60 Hours
Dec. 19-23, 1990 -- 86 Hours
Feb. 1-6, 1989 -- 69 Hours
Dec. 20-25, 1983 -- 115 Hours
Jan. 10-13, 1963 -- 64 Hours
Jan. 28-30, 1951 -- 45 Hours
Jan. 20-22, 1937 -- 53 Hours
Jan. 7-8, 1937 -- 56 Hours
Dec. 8-12, 1932 -- 91 Hours
Feb. 2-3, 1883 -- 48 Hours

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...71/detail.html

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 PM

21,863 posts, read 23,099,297 times
You had to go back over 100 years to come up with 10 examples....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver