U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,308 times

Advertisements

We're planning a move to the Denver area later this year. I've read through many helpful posts related to school quality. I would be most grateful for thoughts about communities related to their relative tolerance. My family is a mixed race family (Japanese/Anglo) and I'm quite concerned about the lack of racial and ethnic diversity in some of the communities that have good schools. Boulder proper is too far from my future workplace (University of Denver) and out of our price range. If you're willing to reply, it would help me to know if you're also in a mixed race family. So, my question is this: Which communities have a reputation for being tolerant and welcoming of social and racial diversity? Thanks, so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:14 AM

1,209 posts, read 4,259,498 times
We're about 45 minutes south of denver in a smaller town and have no issues with being mixed couple(Japanese/white). Most people in CO are willing to accept you for who you are. I would assume Denver being even larger would have even more diversity. Never been a concern for us here. Now TX was a different story, but that's for a different forum.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM

739 posts, read 2,719,559 times
I would think some of the Denver city neighborhoods would fit the bill of being rather diverse. The area around DU itself is rather eclectic- neighborhoods include Observatory Park, University Park, Platte Park, Washington Park, Bonnie Brae. You'll see many that work at the university in these neighborhoods. The schools themselves are diverse while still having options. The gifted school at DU, Ricks, is very diverse. I am not sure of your range but you can find a wide variety in the neighborhoods listed above, platte park would likely be the cheapest. Also further south is Southern Hills, Southmoor, Bible Park which have larger lots and are largely cheaper.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
Thank you, both, for your help. There's so much to think about with a move like this but your insight definitely makes that task much easier.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:32 PM

274 posts, read 1,364,437 times
We are also a mixed race couple, asian/anglo. There may always be a chance of an isolated comment or incident in Denver or anywhere for that matter, but we have not experienced any. Of course we have only been in denver for a short time, but just in general the overall feel of the entire metro area is sort of live and let live. We live near the University of Denver and I really don't think you would encounter any problems.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 AM

9 posts, read 56,608 times
We are a mixed race family Latino/White.. I never have had an issue here (seattle) but wonder if it would be different elsewhere. I could pass for Latina myself so maybe people don't even notice the mixed race piece. But I have read that Latinos may have a worse rap in the Denver area. Is this true? And how would we fare in the suburbs like Highlands Ranch and Littleton? Stick out like a sore thumb, or blend in nicely?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Elidea: I don't know about the status of race relations in Seattle (from what I can see, there aren't many hispanics or blacks there, and more whites than here in the Denver area), but I do not think you would have a problem here. There is a large hispanic population here; I hestiate to say community because Hispanics live everywhere here, not just in one place. I don't know anything about Highlands Ranch or Littleton; I live up north.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

615 posts, read 2,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elidea View Post
And how would we fare in the suburbs like Highlands Ranch and Littleton? Stick out like a sore thumb, or blend in nicely?
You don't see so many minorites in the burbs, especially south of Denver. I haven't noticed any racial tension here, but then again I'm white, so I have not been in those shoes. Some people don't like so many of us white folk around, so it will depend on what you are comfortable with. Personally, I'd say come on down and check the area out.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM

244 posts, read 746,941 times
I know Denver does not have many African-Americans, so which part of Denver do most of them reside in? And would an African-American such as myself have trouble fitting in, no matter what area of Denver I choose to live in?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
I know Denver does not have many African-Americans, so which part of Denver do most of them reside in? And would an African-American such as myself have trouble fitting in, no matter what area of Denver I choose to live in?
Denver's percentage of AA persons is around 11%. In the city, a lot (but not all) reside on the east side. I have read that there are a lot of AA people in Aurora, but I cannot verify that. There are African-Americans in most all the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or