U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 PM

555 posts, read 1,035,702 times

Advertisements

A recent study examining how Americans have migrated from state to state over the past three years found that Denver has had the strongest growth rate of any city in the country among young people age 25-34 (count me as one of those newcomers). The study is described in the new york times with a shout out to denver towards the end- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us...-shifting.html

I couldn't find the actual data from the study but that would be interesting to see. This must be a good sign that so many young people are moving to denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,428,707 times
The Denver area provides good wages for a major metro area with relatively low housing costs and above average infrastructure. Going to be a destination for the young as long as that exists

Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,517,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
A recent study examining how Americans have migrated from state to state over the past three years found that Denver has had the strongest growth rate of any city in the country among young people age 25-34 (count me as one of those newcomers). The study is described in the new york times with a shout out to denver towards the end- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us...-shifting.html

I couldn't find the actual data from the study but that would be interesting to see. This must be a good sign that so many young people are moving to denver.
When I read you could not get the actual data, I thought you did not look hard enough. Well, I looked that the site, Carsey Institute, that is quoted in the article as the originator of this study. I searched their site--I could find nothing that supports this article.

I searched google and this article was mentioned plus a story in two other papers
A nation of migrants no more as tough times keep us in place - TwinCities.com which gives some more information

It indicates that:

"...The institute's study compared three years worth of data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, which was released Thursday and covered 2008-10, with the data from 2005-7..."

There is also an article in an Ocala (Florida?) paper, regurgitating this same information. The New York Times prints it and other fill their newspapers with copy articles from a news feed--but no verification, that I can find.

http://www.ocala.com/article/2011102...3025?p=2&tc=pg

What is interesting that the Carsey Institute shows no such press release or any information. These over hyped "think tanks" love to blow their own horn. I do not what to think. However, the article in this twin city paper says that it "...covered 2008-10 with data from 2005-7..." Whatever that non-continuous data means, it appears to be old and dated information. However, there is no way to confirm, that I could find.
So, I would ignore this garbage.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-27-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 14,080 times
Maybe I'm naive but it seems unlikely the NY Times would publish a story based on an entirely fictional study. Maybe the study hasn't been published yet so the Carsey Institute can't throw it up on their website?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,544,198 times
Count me in that group as well

Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM

13,954 posts, read 20,218,130 times
Default Further Elucidation

I called the Carsey Institute and got this:

Quote:
I have received a number of requests from people who read the New York Times article about my analysis of migration trends and have requested a copy of the research report. I have not yet produced a report based on the data. The New York Times article was based on analysis I am currently doing of data that has only recently been released. Some of the data I used in the analysis that the New York Times article refers to have been released for less than 24 hours. My focus has been on the analysis of the data rather than on writing up the results. I’ll be happy to send you a copy of research report when it is complete, but it will be some time until the report is complete. There is still a significant amount of data to analyze.

If you are interested in the IRS migration data, which provides detailed insights into US migration trends. You can get extremely detailed migration data on specific states from the website of the Missouri State Data Center. They maintain an extensive collection of IRS data. I would encourage you to explore it. If you are a data junkie like me, you will be able to luxuriate in the data. If you only want a few facts, they should be easy to find as well. There is also county-county data on the site, if you want to investigate trends for specific counties.

Researchers use the number of exemptions reported by the IRS as a proxy for the number of migrants. Also, I used only US migrants—which measures state to state (or county to county flows). The IRS is not intended to be used to examine immigrants, so I would suggest you not rely on the foreign component of the IRS migration data.

Here is a link to the IRS data
IRS Migration Profile - Missouri Census Data Center

Thank you very much for your interest in my research.

Kenneth M. Johnson, PhD
Senior Demographer
Carsey Institute
Professor of Sociology
University of New Hampshire
ken.johnson@unh.edu
603-862-2205

Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,517,274 times
The OP puts an interesting post up and indicates he has trouble finding supporting document. His post is well written and to the point and shows he did some work.

I put information up and do further extensive research and find that there is no report, so I say ignore it.

foisaiu put up a one sentence that he doubt that the NY times would publish a story on a fictional study. Interesting comment but no research done. This forum is not a chat but that is his opinion. More research is needed because the NY times has been caught, in the past, reporting false information and it does make mistakes.

What is annoying about this thread is that skin-fans82 puts a little burb statement and says "Count me in that group as well" What does that mean?That does not contribute nothing. This is not a chat forum. It is a forum for information.

davebarnes does research, contacts Carsey Institute and gets a very interesting reply. It indicates that many others have contacted them about this so-called study. I thank him for that and this is the type of post which is relevant and gives information.

It now clear that there is no study. "...I have not yet produced a report based on the data..." It is just data. "...the New York Times article refers to have been released for less than 24 hours..." Again, there is no study and no report. "...some time until the report is complete."

Preliminary Analysis of Data does not prove a conclusion. A final report or study is the conclusion of the analysis, so there is no information provided until that is complete.

So we can see that The New York Times produces an article based on no existing finished report or study. The reporter jumped the data and wanted to be the first and the brightest to show off he reporting. Well, he proved he incompetent.

Shame on the New York Times. I was right in my post to "ignore this garbage" because that is what it is, garbage reporting by wet nosed and aggressive New York reporter who wants be noticed and fill his quota. Again another indication that the New York Times is not always the paper you perceive.

Why could they not wait for the report? because they wanted to be the first..of what? nothing. Also the other newspapers pull the feed and report it and follow stupidly and blindly their leader over the cliff.

What does it show? It shows that you cannot always believe the source of information. You cannot always believe what you read and certainly the New York Times is not always a perfect creditable paper.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 PM

555 posts, read 1,035,702 times
here is a brookings institute analysis of the same data which shows denver metro gaining the highest number of young people during the recession-
Young Adults Choose "Cool Cities" During Recession - Up Front Blog - Brookings Institution
It looks like the data is legit, although the earlier press release to the new york times and other local papers was just a bit premature.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,677,487 times
I'd also want to know, of the "young people flocking to Denver," how many of these are dudes vs chicks?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'd also want to know, of the "young people flocking to Denver," how many of these are dudes vs chicks?
Denver could always use more chicks ..kinda off the subject but I have been following one of your alma maters lately..they lost to Stanford last Sat. night after triple over time (one of the best college games I have seen in a while.. but now their coming to Boulder to blow out the Buffs. Early induction to the Pac 10
My prediction USC 60 CU 3..oh well I'm not young..still we need more chicks..carry on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or