Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
So I was joking around with my boyfriend last night and said, "if I don't learn to ski by the end of this season I'm just going to have to move somewhere else".

He actually agreed with me But then again he agrees on most everything I say. He then was saying he moved out here due to the proximity of bike trails and skiing. And I asked him, "why haven't you invited me along to any of these things that you do?" He's like, well you need the equipment yadda yadda.

But then, I began to seriously question my own existence for being here. I've sort of gotten to the point that I feel since I haven't really engaged in any of those activities, then what am I doing here? Not that I don't want to do any of those activities but because I just haven't come across anyone who really engages in them OR if they do, they are like my BF: actively engaged in the sport already, and too busy to show a newbie the ropes.

Coming from a completely different area of the country, it's hard for those things to come naturally to me. But for people who are either from here or moved here elsewhere for those reasons, all of that is like their raison d'etre. And if I have to feel like I have to be pushy and beg to get involved with what the area is known for, makes me wonder if I'm doing it just to fit in or if I really feel like doing it on my own.

And by no means am I implying being biased, but when I talk to my friends in other states about it, they just say; "oh you know Colorado designed for White folks. That's what they go there to do; hike, ski and bike". LOL, but it's kinda true.
It wouldn't be a complete post from cruising without him bringing race into it in some form.

I went up to the mountains by myself and learned to snowboard. If you want to learn to do it just take the initiative and go up for a day. You won't regret it. Now I have a circle of friends I go up with and I even have some that have condos up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM

339 posts, read 1,286,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I agree with law gal. Best reasons for the inactive to be in Denver are weather, high quality of life, and somewhat affordable. Your boyfriend's attitude seems very Western to me - nice, but also a bit flat, distant, indifferent.
Very typical. He actually is from the Northwest originally which I'm sure has even moreso to do.

I remember a thread awhile back about someone mentioning Boulder being like that; where people seemed more concerned with the next biking excursion or hike rather than actually connecting with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It wouldn't be a complete post from cruising without him bringing race into it in some form.

I went up to the mountains by myself and learned to snowboard. If you want to learn to do it just take the initiative and go up for a day. You won't regret it. Now I have a circle of friends I go up with and I even have some that have condos up there.
I wasn't trying to. It just kind of goes hand in hand. Winter and heavy outdoor sports are a White-dominated activity. I almost feel some people probably think, "oh you're Black, you're not into that" LOL.

But see, honestly I don't think I could just go up by myself and do it. Not because I don't have the guts, but if I can't find common things to do with the people I'm surrounding myself around then I have to question why we're around each other?

It's not congruent to have my BF biking Wednesdays alone or with his buddies and then me going up in the mountains on Saturday alone to try and learn about something that I barely have a hint about. This other guy I'm getting ready to start dating, we actually went to lookout mountain together. He wasn't so overly experienced about the mountains that he felt that he couldn't relate to me. We were like a regular couple.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
ok, Cruising, just my opinion, and you sort of asked for it by posting here but...cut out the race stuff, it's a real turn off. Not just the mention of it, but I do think that since it's on your mind it's affecting your attitude and thoughts. Just try to think of things other than race. Also, if you wanted to meet people who do things in common, then going up to the mtns by yourself is a way to do that. Because then you and everyone else is skiing or whatever.

As to the equipment comment, you can rent whatever you need. It's not like you have to have this complete set of gear. I have absolutely nothing and know that when my husband finally drags me up there I'll be renting the stuff.

Good luck to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I wasn't trying to. It just kind of goes hand in hand. Winter and heavy outdoor sports are a White-dominated activity. I almost feel some people probably think, "oh you're Black, you're not into that" LOL.

But see, honestly I don't think I could just go up by myself and do it. Not because I don't have the guts, but if I can't find common things to do with the people I'm surrounding myself around then I have to question why we're around each other?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
Can anyone give me a reason to live in Denver other the ski, outdoors and bike trails?

Good weather. Laid back people. Decent restaurant and bar scene. Nice parks. Decent selection of museums, shows, etc. Affordable cost of living. Pretty strong economy. Lack of crime for a city of its size. Lack of racial problems for a city of its size. Easily get to other cities via Denver airport.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM

80s: Your post made me think of something I left out - theater. I've read here that some folks think it's lacking -- but lately I've been visiting a lot of the small venues and the theater is fantastic!

Just last Friday we went to Bug Theater and saw Night of the Living Dead - Live! And this weekend or next we are going to Dangerous Theater.

Did you know there are countless small theaters in Denver? The Bug Theater and Dangerous Theater also hire stagehands and the like. So to the OP, if you are looking for something non-outdoorsy this winter, and want to make new friends -- I think this would be perfect! You could work at a theater, put in just a few hours and meet new friends! I love the arts.

Check out this list, this is definitely something to make it worthwhile living in Denver:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/top-lists...ies-in-denver/

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Mmj

I think we have "clinics" on every block.
I have 5 within a few blocks of my house.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM

davebarnes: HUH?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
weed dispensaries

Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

ohhhhh. That doesn't mean much to me as the Feds will always have jurisdiction over the states. It's a matter of the constitution.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Pardon Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
weed dispensaries
Not weed.
Medicine.
Weed is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver