Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 41,510 times

Advertisements

SenseiGerry does not work for DPD, and if he or she does they won't mind giving a badge number we can verify. For what it is worth, that Wallmart closes like most of them at midnight and Stapleton is a great idea and place albeit not yet finished. As for schools, if you think every school in a district is good or bad you have failed as a parent. This is Colorado, we have to fight as parents to find and get into the best school regardless of the district. Sad as that is.

In answer to the OP. Your money is going to get you much more house in TR. I mean MUCH more house. TR is more or less our Orange County. People who could not afford the house they thought they deserved found it way out there. In the process they failed to register the reality that their commute of an hour each way every day in fact cost more over the years than the more expensive smaller house closer to the city. Robbing Peter to pay Paul if you will.

However, you are talking about a job in Lone Tree. That commute from Denver would totally suck. Anything is a better option; the closer to work the better. As a trade off you just have to suck up the drive on weekends to eat at our fine restaurants.

P.S. Water Course is good but there are TONS of great veg places in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiGerry View Post
DEFINITELY Stapleton? Uh, no thanks. Close to the inner-city. Walmart closes at 10 PM because they've been robbed so many times. Denver Public Schools are typically among the lowest-achieving in the state. They may have a natural grocer, but you might get mugged on the way back to your car.
Wait...what are you talking about? I'd be curious to know how those crime statistics stack up against areas with similar amenities. Talyn's Reach is an outer suburb, so likely to have lower crime, but I doubt it can boast many of the benefits of Stapleton, in spite of the troubles you've encountered there (I presume you spend a lot of time there?)

I would still recommend Talyn's Reach to the OP, but I personally find Stapleton highly appealing and think a lot of people simply don't understand the trade-offs between living in the city proper and living in a far flung suburb of the city. Given the OPs work situation, TR is appropriate for them, but for those that might be working closer to downtown it would be quite the commute.

Besides, not sure what "close to the inner-city" is really supposed to mean. Skyland is "close to the inner-city" and is quite a nice neighborhood...as is Uptown, Highland and Capitol Hill.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM

56 posts, read 147,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Are you asking about lawn turf? Your grass gets green, if you water it, from May through September. Once it starts geting below freezing and/or you stop watering your lawn, it dries up. If you're asking about the native prairie grass-- it gets green for about two months of the year (May-June), sometimes longer if it's a particularly rainy summer. Mid-late summer it turns a very faint green color, and by fall and winter it's completely yellow/brown.
Gotcha- thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycletron View Post
SenseiGerry does not work for DPD, and if he or she does they won't mind giving a badge number we can verify. For what it is worth, that Wallmart closes like most of them at midnight and Stapleton is a great idea and place albeit not yet finished. As for schools, if you think every school in a district is good or bad you have failed as a parent. This is Colorado, we have to fight as parents to find and get into the best school regardless of the district. Sad as that is.

In answer to the OP. Your money is going to get you much more house in TR. I mean MUCH more house. TR is more or less our Orange County. People who could not afford the house they thought they deserved found it way out there. In the process they failed to register the reality that their commute of an hour each way every day in fact cost more over the years than the more expensive smaller house closer to the city. Robbing Peter to pay Paul if you will.

However, you are talking about a job in Lone Tree. That commute from Denver would totally suck. Anything is a better option; the closer to work the better. As a trade off you just have to suck up the drive on weekends to eat at our fine restaurants.

P.S. Water Course is good but there are TONS of great veg places in Denver.
Thanks so much!

We will probably rent for a while when we first get there to be certain before we buy.

On that note- could you recommend the best website to find rentals (homes and apartments) In LA we have westside rentals... not sure what you have that is similar...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM

556 posts, read 1,195,959 times
Quote:
Stapleton? Uh, no thanks. Close to the inner-city. Walmart closes at 10 PM because they've been robbed so many times. Denver Public Schools are typically among the lowest-achieving in the state. They may have a natural grocer, but you might get mugged on the way back to your car.
By the way, I live close to Tallyns but I work as a police officer in Denver, so I think I know my neighborhoods.
For real? Maybe if denver police officers actually lived in denver there wouldn't be so much fear and hostility towards the people here. but i guess that explains the gas masks and riot gear at civic center on saturday.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,117,163 times
Quote:
DEFINITELY Tallyns. There's a new natural grocer on Smoky Hill Rd, approx 4 miles away. The commute from Tallyns to Lone Tree is about 15 minutes via E470, a tool road, but darn well worth it. The school district at Tallyns is Cherry Creek - one of the top districts in the state.
Stapleton? Uh, no thanks. Close to the inner-city. Walmart closes at 10 PM because they've been robbed so many times. Denver Public Schools are typically among the lowest-achieving in the state. They may have a natural grocer, but you might get mugged on the way back to your car.
By the way, I live close to Tallyns but I work as a police officer in Denver, so I think I know my neighborhoods.

Stapleton has excellent schools. Currently the only high schools are Science and Technology (I believe it's THE highest rated high school in the state) and there is the Arts high school. There will be a regular high school built, but it's not needed yet.

I have never heard of anyone being mugged in Stapleton. We live in the city, so I expect more crime than way out in the 'burbs. But I've never felt unsafe. That's ridiculous to make Stapleton out to be some rough neighborhood where you can't walk from a store to your car safely. I doubt it's any less safe than Park Hill, Congress Park, City Park, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 PM

57 posts, read 124,794 times
to the OP, we recently looked at both areas (Tallyn's Reach and Stapleton)... you can't go wrong with either. We decided on Stapleton because my wife's graduate school is much closer to there, and are in the process of buying a new house as we speak.

Because of your spouse working in Lone Tree, for that reason alone, you should not consider stapleton. The commute will not be fun, at all. However, if he will be traveling to LA frequently, Stapleton will be much much closer to the airport...

But you might look at other places than tallyn's reach. Anything around lone tree is very similar... centennial, parker, lone tree, highlands ranch, englewood, all are good areas w/ affordable houses, and would compare similar to tallyn's reach. Are you working somewhere? That could make a difference as well.

Feel free to message me if you need any more help -- I can give you some common-sense advice. Both neighborhoods you mentioned are great, but are quite different.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 PM

204 posts, read 577,036 times
We were out looking from atlanta a couple weeks ago, and looked at both neighborhoods. Personally, although Tallyn's Reach is pretty, I am not a big fan of sprawl. I felt very isolated out there. We loved Stapleton. Met with the principals at the elementary schools and were pleased with what we saw. For us, being in a new city we felt actually being in the city would be better for us so that we could take advantage of all Denver has to offer. But, if you're commute is going to be easier living in SE Aurora......take it from an Atlantan: live where you work!! Good luck.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
We were out looking from atlanta a couple weeks ago, and looked at both neighborhoods. Personally, although Tallyn's Reach is pretty, I am not a big fan of sprawl. I felt very isolated out there. We loved Stapleton. Met with the principals at the elementary schools and were pleased with what we saw. For us, being in a new city we felt actually being in the city would be better for us so that we could take advantage of all Denver has to offer. But, if you're commute is going to be easier living in SE Aurora......take it from an Atlantan: live where you work!! Good luck.
I hear you on both points- which is why I am still torn!

Commute makes us of course lean much stronger to Tallyn's Reach, but as a newbie to Denver it would be nicer to be closer to the city.... argh.

We are also considering several private schools which would be closer to the city and stapleton....

tough decision.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,240,827 times
You know, if you can afford a home in the 500-700k range, you could afford to buy something nice right in Lone Tree, or in Greenwood Village (one of the nicest suburbs in the metro area) if you prefer to be in the CCSD. Unless if you just HAVE to have a new house and $/sq ft trumps everything, I would seriously investigate GV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver