Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

40 posts, read 94,210 times

Advertisements

I drove my car from Seattle to Denver this past week via I-90 to I-25. I thought it was very doable, I would have felt totally comfortable with a moving truck. When I moved from Maryland to Seattle, I drove the I-80 to 84 route and felt the elevation was a lot more noticeable.

Good luck, be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 11,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnWanderer View Post
I drove my car from Seattle to Denver this past week via I-90 to I-25. I thought it was very doable, I would have felt totally comfortable with a moving truck. When I moved from Maryland to Seattle, I drove the I-80 to 84 route and felt the elevation was a lot more noticeable.

Good luck, be safe.
Thanks MTN! I'm still debating which route, but unless a big storm comes through on I-90 I may be inclined to do that. How was the trip time compared to I-84/80/25? Any areas to be especially keen about?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 PM

40 posts, read 94,210 times
I made good time going I-90 because the speed limits are higher (at least I don't remember them being 75mph on I-80/84). Since you will be in a truck, it probably won't make much difference to you. I drove down I-25 this past week the day after the snowstorm rolled through and the roads were really well maintained.

Crossing the continental divide a little bit west of Bozeman, MT seemed easier to me, and I remember crossing the divide twice on the other route. I also recall thinking my poor car may not make it when I did the 80-84 route, but didn't have any issues this past trip (same car-'04 Corolla).

Montana was beautiful, Wyoming was pretty flat and monotonous in my opinion...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,602 posts, read 57,579,010 times
From Tacoma > DEN via Penske... (Penske is the BEST, keep it 58 - 60 mph for best mileage ~ 10 - 12mpg w/ dt466, loaded heavy and towing a car... 75-80 mph will cost you !! ~ 6-7mpg BTDT))

I-5 S to Vancouver, (I 205) I-84 East to connect w/ I -80 (SLC)
I-80 to Laramie
287 to Ft Collins,
(I really LIKE this area, especially around 'StateLine", and be sure to notice "HayStack Rock" Near Red Feather turnoff... Sits right by the road. (west side). 1st Nation (i.e. Indian) hay farmers would cover it up when selling Hay stacks to U.S. Cavalry... every yr the US Gov seemed to buy one more haystack than they took delivery of... (some things never change...)
I-25 to DEN (stop at Nordies for good ribs (Larimer County fairgrounds / Loveland Airport exit... Budweiser Center)). Head east ~ 2 lights on left (north) BEFORE Walmart Dist Center
(flatest, fastest, probably safest, most traveled.... Tho I prefer I-90 (MT scenery)... I-25 through WY can be absolutely difficult especially Casper to Cheyenne). I-80 (WY) CAN be rough, but is more predictable / managable.

Done this route many times (I'm a CO kid relocated to PNW 28 yrs ago (drove it a few times this yr moving friends from WA south to places DEN and Beyond)

yrs ago...I also drove truck nightly from DEN through WY / CO / SD for 7 yrs (paying my way on the 'extended college term' @ CSU...Ft Collins... Circa 1970's)

You picked a GREAT time to go!! weather looks great (2 of the more troublesome spots)
Climate Prediction Center - 6 to 10 Day Outlook
Intellicast - Trenton Weather Report in Utah (84338)
Intellicast - Rawlins Weather Report in Wyoming (82301)

My kid is headed that route in the AM, 5 Nov (not great timing)

Get a Flying J travel Card (discount fuel) AND check the prices enroute (BEFORE you go). You probably want to top off in ID and WY, (Vs OR and CO) tho Ogden may be low price in UT. Rawlins is often one of the least expensive (Due to Refinery in Sinclair, that you will note ESPECIALLY if passing on a COLD windy night BTDT WAY too many times)

29 yrs ago this month did the reverse trip... it went very well, tho MUCH Ice (Laramie, WY to Pendleton, OR). Finally had to stop in Baker City to overnight... 8.5 months 'with child'. That is the only time I have ever had to stay overnight doing this route. I usual nap a couple times in UT and WY.

Do be sure to check your penske EARLY (day before) and ask for a better truck if they have you in a 'beater'. You can tell REAL fast by tires / condition and certainly test driving on a hill. I healthy Penske W/ DT 466 is quite peppy empty. One of my friends rented 'Budget' (GMC) this yr. It cost us over 2x in fuel from identical trip with Penske (International DT 466), and I earned my airfare home herding that wobbly beast across WY, KS, OK, TX (Left Friday eve @ 10PM, arrived Dallas Monday AM / w12 hr stop in Ft Collins)

Figure 22 hrs to DEN via Penske and dry roads (subject to change). Have a great time, it will be a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver